Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming | The Boneyard

Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm liking the youth shift at RB...

RB: For the first time all season, the two freshmen, Arkeel Newsome and Ron Johnson, are separated on the depth chart as the lone starters. This is a clear indication that the staff is moving away from Max DeLorenzo, especially, although him and Josh Marriner, are both listed as OR’s as the backups on the two-deep. Marriner did see action on Thursday, running 3 times for 9 yards and catching another 3 passes for 15. Newsome touched the ball just twice last week, gaining a yard each on a carry and reception. The Ansonia native did not see action until the second half in Greenville, NC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They don't mess around with depth charts? That was sarcasm right?

Reaction Score
this move makes sense... I just feel for Marriner... had and still have high hopes for this kid... He's still in the same boat as Newsome and Johnson in terms of eligibility....

Reaction Score
They don't mess around with depth charts? That was sarcasm right?

I honestly don't think Matt would rip Diaco if he placed you on the depth chart.

Lastly, if McAllister plays in a wasted year I'm at a loss.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I like Marriner too. I hope he is able to get a few carries per game. But I really like Newsome and Johnson. I feel for Max. The kid showed some good toughness last season. But I do think that this move is what is best for the team going forward. We're 1-6 and not going bowling yet again. Need to get these kids some carries and, more importantly, work on some issues at game speed (ball security, pass protection, etc).

Dooley

Reaction Score
I honestly don't think Matt would rip Diaco if he placed you on the depth chart.

Lastly, if McAllister plays in a wasted year I'm at a loss.

Unless McAllister is a natural Deion Sanders (or we get hit with a ridiculous wave of injuries), I agree. Hadley and Green should see the field long before McAllister. A true FR making a position switch during the season should always redshirt. Always.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
this move makes sense... I just feel for Marriner... had and still have high hopes for this kid... He's still in the same boat as Newsome and Johnson in terms of eligibility....

I like Marriner too. I hope he is able to get a few carries per game. But I really like Newsome and Johnson. I feel for Max. The kid showed some good toughness last season. But I do think that this move is what is best for the team going forward. We're 1-6 and not going bowling yet again. Need to get these kids some carries and, more importantly, work on some issues at game speed (ball security, pass protection, etc).

I don't feel bad for Marriner. He's a RS Frosh and I'm willing to bet he has significant touches as his career progresses. RB's frequently get hurt and it's impossible to have too many kids who can run and catch the ball. He got 6 touches last week and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to get 8-10 touches a game. Whether or not he's satisfied with that I don't know. Johnson does seem to be a bigger version of Marriner.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Johnson should be the starter and get the majority of 1st and 2nd down play. Newsome should be a 3rd down Sproles/Woodhead-type back who can get lost sneaking through the LOS or out to the flat.
Max and Marriner = change of pace. Just my opinion, but like everyone else here, What do I know?

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:

I still like Marriner a ton, and pray we don't lose him next year. He is jacked and has speed.

Reaction Score
I still like Marriner a ton, and pray we don't lose him next year. He is jacked and has speed.
He''ll play a bunch in his Senior year as Newsome will leave after his Jr. to the NFL....obviously

Reaction Score
Hadley was very skinny coming in. Is it possible he hasn't gotten physically strong or big enough to compete at this level? Are they reserving him for a RS? But, why not do the same with McAllister? Certainly head scratching.

Reaction Score
Sorry...

MattSchonvisky 12:09pm via Twitter Web Client
"Brice McAllister is going to play in the games, we don't have any other option and we don't want any other option. CB is his best position"

Just to add to this lunacy, Diaco also said that McAllister's understanding of the CB was remedial at this point. So of course he's going to play him.

I absolutely give up trying to figure this guy out. I only hope he knows what he's doing.

Reaction Score
Sorry but that is utterly laughable at this stage in the season.

Just my personal opinion - kids come to play football, let them play if they are physically and mentally ready and can learn from the game experience. Redshirts are overrated for most positions except OL and QB. Good recruiting cycles negate most issues. 7 incoming recruits have secondary experience.

Reaction Score
Just my personal opinion - kids come to play football, let them play if they are physically and mentally ready and can learn from the game experience. Redshirts are overrated for most positions except OL and QB. Good recruiting cycles negate most issues. 7 incoming recruits have secondary experience.

I normally agree but with 7 games in the books and no chance to go bowling why do this? Especially after you said his understanding of the position is remedial. That doesn't tell me that he's physically and mentally ready to play.

Reaction Score
I normally agree but with 7 games in the books and no chance to go bowling why do this? Especially after you said his understanding of the position is remedial. That doesn't tell me that he's physically and mentally ready to play.

I guess you could be physically and mentally "mature" enough to play but still need to learn the nuances of the position?

I've stopped trying to figure things out this year (you'll go stunad trying)... I'm just along for the ride.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Nothing I see with the depth chart is head scratching at this point. I did a quick and dirty review of the current roster a few weeks ago and determined that 63 of 85 possible scholarships are occupied by originally recruited players per Rivals. I think the redshirt is a developmental tool and its importance cannot be diminished, but even on a 1-6 team with little prospects of a post season, playing the top 11 (except QB) to the point of exhaustion is a failing strategy. Tired players loose their technique. Tired players get burned. Tired players get hurt easier. Given the lack of quality pieces from which to choose, if the situation calls for burning McAllister's redshirt, so be it. If game action helps him develop faster, who cares about 2018? Look at the incoming verbal. Seven of them are potential players in the secondary. I understand that McAllister's understanding of the defense is remedial, but really is his responsibilities? Cover your guy. Period. Who knows? He may surprise us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who cares about 2018?

I care a lot more about 2018 than I do the difference between 2-10 and 3-9 in 2014.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was writing my post when you put this up. I agree whole heartedly except for the overrating of the redshirt. If a corner comes in at 150 lbs., or a LB comes in at 210 lbs., the redshirt year allows them to add 25 lbs. and grow into their body.

Reaction Score
I was writing my post when you put this up. I agree whole heartedly except for the overrating of the redshirt. If a corner comes in at 150 lbs., or a LB comes in at 210 lbs., the redshirt year allows them to add 25 lbs. and grow into their body.

That's the "physically" piece I noted... I won't use the "p" word but I would think depending on system/position most coaches have an ideal weight range they are looking for.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:

Will he be better prepared next year by playing this year? He has said that there is "no substitute for game experience", and this decision would be consistent with that proclamation. Of course, he has made other decisions that are not at all consistent with it, so I don't know what to think.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who cares about 2018?

I care a lot more about 2018 than I do the difference between 2-10 and 3-9 in 2014.
Not sure you comprehended the other words in my post. UConn has it's fair share of issues now. They don't need to borrow worries from tomorrow.

There are new players coming in next year (and presumably the year after...and the year after that...), but they won't be in Storrs until February at the absolute earliest. Be that as it may, these games (and more generally, these seasons) are not played in a vacuum. Players get hurt, players retire, can't hack it academically (at real schools), whathaveyou. With new players coming in and going out, there are far many more unanswerable questions about 4-5 years out than there are right now. I don't think it makes a whole h3ll of a lot of sense to project a single specific undeveloped 18 year old as the solution to a problem 4 seasons from now.

Tell you what: If McAllister does not RS and exhausts his non-forfeited eligibility, and it comes to pass in 2018 (his would be RS senior year) that this board laments, "If UConn had McAllister, they'd be in a New Years Six Bowl game. McAllister and only McAllister could possibly [make whatever play]," then I'll back down on my opinions and eat crow. Just between you, me, and the rest of the Boneyard though, I ain't holding my breath for that day to dawn.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that BD is continuing to evaluate the youth, to see what he has to work with moving forward. These aren't the kids he targeted as recruits, so if he can move them through the program to open up a scholarship a year early, he's not going to red-shirt anyone. You can't replicate game speed in practice. He has to evaluate the players he believes can help the program moving forward. He has to put them in game situations. The seasons a wash anyway. Let's give these kids experience at game speed and see what they can do. If they can't play, he'll recruit "his" players, while those recruited by the past regime matriculate or leave the program early. At this point what do we have to lose. I just want them to compete. I think we took a step forward last week. As the o-line continues to grow and improve, I think Newsome and Johnson give us the best chance to win. It's not a knock on Max or Josh, but they don't have the game speed the true freshmen have. In all honesty, I think most of us saw this youth movement coming. It's probably a year sooner then we expected, but I'm ok with it as long as the process leads to future program success in recruiting and on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom