Depth a concern? | The Boneyard

Depth a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dom Amore seems to think UConn has a depth or fatigue problem. Maybe, but if so, it is self inflicted. I did think the guys were out of gas during the last 5 minutes of the Cinci game, and it showed.

My view is that the depth is there and Ollie just needs to use it. There's no excuse for Olander not seeing more time, at least 10 minutes a game. He's the best passer not named Shabazz, has some offensive touch and provides leadership and experience out there. Much as it surprises me, he makes few mistakes now. Samuel hasn't done much, but I don't see him hurting us when he's in either. Get Bazz some rest and give the kid a few minutes. Facey has actually been good most of the time he's been in. His D may be a liability, so sub him in when that matchup is less of a concern (when the other team subs their 4).

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Agreed on needing to use our depth more. I don't see why we don't put Facey in at the 4 spot and then have any 3 of Deandre/Neils/Kromah/Boat/Bazz at the 1-3 spots.

We need to rest our guards a bit more. Maybe put T-Sam in there as well for a few more minutes.

I don't think depth is that big of an issue and we should be utilizing it a bit better.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Agreed, that there are moments when TSamuel, Facey can be inserted for breaks and for gaining experience (into next year). Olander as well, but then sacrifice Brimah/Nolan progression and Olander has had some issues guarding opponents bigs.

Out of all these players depth is only a concern for our guards - Napier and Boatright. They log the most minutes. I liked what I saw out of Samuel recently and should be given spot opportunities, especially for relief. He is really the only one who can come in off the bench and play PG.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Olander has regressed from his sophomore year til now. There are three guys in front of him, IMO. I think the issue rests more at the guard positions. Samuel should probably play more. The team did run out of gas toward the end of Cinci, but they were also short handed. Cinci at home is a winnable game.

Reaction Score
I agree on probably sliding Samuel in for some more minutes, although he's made some pretty glaring mistakes on the defensive end in the little time he did receive against both Cincy and USF. As long as Brimah and Nolan can avoid foul trouble I don't see the need for much of any Olander, 2 bigs can split 40 minutes just fine.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree on probably sliding Samuel in for some more minutes, although he's made some pretty glaring mistakes on the defensive end in the little time he did receive against both Cincy and USF. As long as Brimah and Nolan can avoid foul trouble I don't see the need for much of any Olander, 2 bigs can split 40 minutes just fine.
Facey is available for 5-7 minutes too if the team goes small.

Reaction Score
Facey is available for 5-7 minutes too if the team goes small.

Facey is not up to par yet as far as awareness on D and they do quite a bit of handoffs/screening up top with the bigs where I don't think he is at the level of Nolan/Brimah. The rebounding numbers are good, but its the other areas that have him kind of in the same place that Nolan was last year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's a difference between not using the bench and lacking depth.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Dom Amore seems to think UConn has a depth or fatigue problem. Maybe, but if so, it is self inflicted. I did think the guys were out of gas during the last 5 minutes of the Cinci game, and it showed.

My view is that the depth is there and Ollie just needs to use it. There's no excuse for Olander not seeing more time, at least 10 minutes a game. He's the best passer not named Shabazz, has some offensive touch and provides leadership and experience out there. Much as it surprises me, he makes few mistakes now. Samuel hasn't done much, but I don't see him hurting us when he's in either. Get Bazz some rest and give the kid a few minutes. Facey has actually been good most of the time he's been in. His D may be a liability, so sub him in when that matchup is less of a concern (when the other team subs their 4).
I was at the UCF game and I did not see where Omar got the concussion. One thing I might add was that the UCF game was very physical, there were bodies on the floor practically every play. Something a number of people around me remarked upon.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If only JC thought like Don, UConn could have had more than 3 NC's. KO has to change his ways and not coach like his predecessor. :cool:

KO is shortening his bench similar to JC except he started to do this later in the season. His primary focus is on defensive stops and in this category KF, TS and TO are falling short.

Interestingly I've noticed a big improvement with OC's defensive coverage. However the kid is snakebitten. He can blanket his player and I always feel that when the opposing player shoots it's going to find it's way in. My suggestion to OC is to get some wings and Rolling Rocks, find JC's nuns and wear dark glasses and a black tie when he goes on the court.

caw

Reaction Score
Yes and no. There were a few issues during the Cincy game:

-Daniels didn't play - have to replace 30+ minutes
-Ollie doesn't fully trust the two freshmen to fill those minutes
-Olander has regressed
-Nolan has foul issues in some/many games

Ollie had been using Kromah as the backup guard to spell Napier and Baotright, with Calhoun as the fourth guard/third SF.

With Daniels out and not trusting Facey, Giffey had to slide from the three to the four, causing Kromah to cover more minutes at the three. This reduced the number of minutes Kromah could play at the two. That effectively cut the number of minutes Napier/Boatright could rest. Boatright picked up a minor (?) injury which meant most of the rest minutes went to him.

If Calhoun or Samuel could prove to be more reliable then UConn wouldn't have this issue but neither has been. Of course having Daniels back should help a lot.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Samuel, Facey, and Olander are kind of like our special teams guys. There are key situations where they can be highly useful, even if their minutes per game are few.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yes and no. There were a few issues during the Cincy game:

-Daniels didn't play - have to replace 30+ minutes
-Ollie doesn't fully trust the two freshmen to fill those minutes
-Olander has regressed
-Nolan has foul issues in some/many games

Ollie had been using Kromah as the backup guard to spell Napier and Baotright, with Calhoun as the fourth guard/third SF.

With Daniels out and not trusting Facey, Giffey had to slide from the three to the four, causing Kromah to cover more minutes at the three. This reduced the number of minutes Kromah could play at the two. That effectively cut the number of minutes Napier/Boatright could rest. Boatright picked up a minor (?) injury which meant most of the rest minutes went to him.

If Calhoun or Samuel could prove to be more reliable then UConn wouldn't have this issue but neither has been. Of course having Daniels back should help a lot.
I think Samuel in particular will see more time against USF with Calhoun out. I anticipate him getting 10 minutes or so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was at the UCF game and I did not see where Omar got the concussion. One thing I might add was that the UCF game was very physical, there were bodies on the floor practically every play. Something a number of people around me remarked upon.

I was reminded of the old Big East. Had a funny moment last Sunday coaching my daughter's 5th grade team, lots of physical play and when one girl got hip checked pretty good to the floor. Ref called a foul and then said within earshot "this is like a damned Big East game".

Reaction Score
This team does not have a short bench.
How many UConn teams can play 3 centers
Have Giffey off the bench.
Two athletic freshman who could give you minutes.
If OC contributes this team becomes extremely deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom