Delany Wants MSG | The Boneyard

Delany Wants MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Teddy Greenstein ‏@TeddyGreenstein 1h
Delany wants MSG for '18 hoops tourney. B1G hoops coaches wary. Who will get their way? Trib col: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-delany-20140624,0,2438565.column…

Reaction Score
Still made me sign up for free account. I'll save others the trouble.

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany rarely loses a battle of wills.

After enriching the conference by creating the Big Ten Network and a conference title game, are university presidents and chancellors in any position to rebuff him?

Delany continues to push for the 2018 men’s basketball tournament to be played at Madison Square Garden, with a source telling the Tribune that he is “determined” to make it happen.

School officials are concerned about increased costs associated with staging the event in the heart of Manhattan. Delany can combat that by selling the event as a one-time chance to promote the new Big Ten (hello, Rutgers and Maryland) in the nation’s largest media market.

The more intriguing obstacle is this: The Big East already is locked into the “championship week” dates for its men’s basketball tournament, so the Big Ten would need to be flexible, likely moving its tournament up one week.

Big Ten basketball coaches are not happy about that possibility. Would the regular-season schedule have to be condensed, eliminating the semi-bye weeks when teams play only one game? That could affect practice time and have a negative effect on academics and injury recovery. Or would the conference slate begin earlier?

The biggest question: What would Big Ten teams do while fans watch all those conference tournaments? If they’re out of sight, out of mind, would that hurt their NCAA tournament stock – or simply be a negative in terms of recruiting?

Questions linger, but they should be answered soon: On June 3, Delany said he hoped to have an answer on the Madison Square Garden question in “a couple of weeks, not any shorter.”

If the schools ultimately vote against putting their show on Broadway, Chicago or Indianapolis figures to be the fallback. But it’s hard to envision anyone associated with the Big Ten giving Delany a “no” vote – on anything.

Reaction Score
30 days...here we go...this would be good timing and a great defense against all the big time football excuses for Delaney to add us now...he really can't justify this just for the benefit of Rutgers basketball which is a complete joke...writing is on the wall Delaney, just do it already!!

Reaction Score
First, the B1G will never move their basketball tournament up a week with the mid-majors. That's two steps back for one step forward. Don't even suggest it.
Second, F Delaney. I am sick of that buffoon.

Reaction Score
Teddy Greenstein ‏@TeddyGreenstein 1h
Delany wants MSG for '18 hoops tourney. B1G hoops coaches wary. Who will get their way? Trib col: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-delany-20140624,0,2438565.column…

Maybe the B1G coaches know that UConn will be in the B1G by 2018 and have reason to fear the tournament at MSG, just ask Michigan St.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe the B1G coaches know that UConn will be in the B1G by 2018 and have reason to fear the tournament at MSG, just ask Michigan St.
I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G has contemplated inviting Uconn in for olympic sports only

If that's the case ... then UConn would surely be getting a deal in which it becomes a full all-sports member in any further expansion, and in the interim while football is out of / other sports in the conference, UConn gets a certain number of B1G football games per year to enhance its schedule. If so, we'd expect to see B1G teams scheduling UConn football out of conference from the start of the new B1G TV contract. Hmmm ... UConn football has Indiana and Illinois on its football schedule in home-and-homes in 2019 and 2020.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G has contemplated inviting Uconn in for olympic sports only

I would. The B1G only does this when it equates to a boost in conference revenue, or allows for the establishment of a new conference sport. JH did both. Adding UCONN as an Olympic Only would not create any real increase in revenue for legacy members. UCONN Basketball is a different story.

Reaction Score
basketball is an olympic sport...it gets them MSG, gets uconn women, and gets UConn soccer/hockey etc

Reaction Score
basketball is an olympic sport...it gets them MSG, gets uconn women, and gets UConn soccer/hockey etc

Basketball is a revenue sport. Field Hockey or swimming are Olympic Sports.

pj

Reaction Score
OK. I think he meant adding UConn in all sports but football, with football in a friendly relationship and guaranteed spot #15 in the next expansion. Presumably coming in 2025 or so.

Timing -- deal concluded by the signing of the B1G TV deal; UConn with a 27 month exit from AAC. That would put UConn in by the 2019 season when the Illinois and Indiana football series start.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You've just made a strong case for inclusion on the Boneyard Mount Rushmore of Insanity.

If anyone is ever entering into a contract, you want the guys who had the Big East's end of the MSG contract on your side. It's the Berlin Wall of contracts.

Reaction Score
I would. The B1G only does this when it equates to a boost in conference revenue, or allows for the establishment of a new conference sport. JH did both. Adding UCONN as an Olympic Only would not create any real increase in revenue for legacy members. UCONN Basketball is a different story.

Johns Hopkins is also AAU is a major research university that includes one of the country's top hospitals and has only sponsors D1 men's & women's lacrosse, so they have no overlap with football or basketball. It's basically a East Coast version of U Chicago that plays lacrosse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First, the B1G will never move their basketball tournament up a week with the mid-majors. That's two steps back for one step forward. Don't even suggest it.
Second, F Delaney. I am sick of that buffoon.

Definitely. When all is said and done, they'll just go back to Sweet Home Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom