Defensive Line | The Boneyard

Defensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at the roster this may be the thinnest part of the team. I know we only need to fill three positions but we don't seem to have much depth here.

Anybody know who the expected starters are and who may surprise? My Guess is we line up with Pruitt, Campenni and Mcbryde with Myers, Fatukasi and Adeyemi as the primary backups, which isn't much of a guess since this pretty much accounts for everybody available (doubtful the true freshman will play).

Will the lack of depth here and lack of 3-4 experience force Diaco into a more traditional 4-3 line-up to take the pressure off of them? Adeyemi, Marinan and Lawley aren't really big enough to be 3-4 ends.

I'm a little surprised Ormsby isn't a defensive lineman as he seemed to have the frame to bulk up, but maybe that switch will take place in the future.

Is James Atkins a scholarship player or walk-on?
upload_2014-7-27_12-9-45.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Atkins is a scholly player from mass i believe.

I think Myers will start (not sure over who), but otherwise i agree with your lineup.

We are definitely thin at the positions, but i have to think we will see changes as time goes on.

Reaction Score
I think we have 4 formidable guys that can play the 3-4 scheme well with Pruitt, McBryde, Campenni, and Myers. There is a lot of experience amongst them so I trust those guys to get it done. They will need some more depth as the season goes on. Hopefully Fatukasi can step up, he has the size Diaco wants for the 3-4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rueben Frank or Cole Ormsby spell at the DE spots during passing downs when they don't need the girth to stop the run game. Still looking for Adeyemi to put it all together.

Reaction Score
I think we have 4 formidable guys that can play the 3-4 scheme well with Pruitt, McBryde, Campenni, and Myers. There is a lot of experience amongst them so I trust those guys to get it done. They will need some more depth as the season goes on. Hopefully Fatukasi can step up, he has the size Diaco wants for the 3-4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rueben Frank or Cole Ormsby spell at the DE spots during passing downs when they don't need the girth to stop the run game. Still looking for Adeyemi to put it all together.
Yep, We have to be able to stop the run. Notre Dame fans tell us we are going to have to get used to hearing the saying, (about the defense) It bends but doesn't break.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that DLine is the most concerning position. Successful defenses need 5-6 guys to contribute.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is Kenton at 268 a typo? Other than that they look good from a size standpoint. In the 3-4 they need to clog the middle. It's at LB where we look awfully small.

Reaction Score
Staying healthy is going to be VERY important on the DLine. Looking towards the future I hope they are considering looking at JUCO's this year for the class of 15.

The roster has been updated but I don't believe the weights have changed. Adeyemi was the same exact size last year. I assume he's added weight in the new lifting/diet program.

Reaction Score
Staying healthy is going to be VERY important on the DLine. Looking towards the future I hope they are considering looking at JUCO's this year for the class of 15.

The roster has been updated but I don't believe the weights have changed. Adeyemi was the same exact size last year. I assume he's added weight in the new lifting/diet program.

In a way that statement contradicts itself. Dieting (losing weight), lifting presumably gaining weight. I think he could remain the same weight, but add muscle and strength in its place.

Reaction Score
I agree that DLine is the most concerning position. Successful defenses need 5-6 guys to contribute.
I think the OLine is much thinner talent-wise. And numbers too. We have decent Dline guys, that if healthy, will be a plus for us. The rush will need to come from the linebackers.

Reaction Score
I think the OLine is much thinner talent-wise. And numbers too. We have decent Dline guys, that if healthy, will be a plus for us. The rush will need to come from the linebackers.
Isn't that the point/strength of a 3-4 defense?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's a bit of a tossup. The OL has a bunch of questions but barring injuries if you land on a decent line you don't need to worry about depth.

I don't see how the DL ends up being a plus relative to competition - but I also can't see how the OL ends up a net positive either.

It's an odd UConn team that has it's relative strengths at positions other than the front 7 on defense.

Reaction Score
It's a bit of a tossup. The OL has a bunch of questions but barring injuries if you land on a decent line you don't need to worry about depth.

I don't see how the DL ends up being a plus relative to competition - but I also can't see how the OL ends up a net positive either.

It's an odd UConn team that has it's relative strengths at positions other than the front 7 on defense.

First the first time in a number of years that I can think of the defense isn't the solid known commodity coming into the season.

Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:

Our offensive line without question is our weakest spot. At this point no one on that unit has proven to be even average. Next would be linebackers.

I am comfortable with the d line rotation if it will basically be a 3-4. Would like to see 5 contribute, but I think Campenni, Myers, Pruitt, and McBride can be solid.

Reaction Score
Pruitt, Campenni, and McBryde should be starters, with Myers and Fatukasi rotating in. Move Pruitt inside and Ormsby or Frank move in for a 4 man line.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Hope all these boys are ready to go Aug 29th ,read recently BYU has 2 1000 yd rushers between QB and RB.

Reaction Score
Is Kenton at 268 a typo? Other than that they look good from a size standpoint. In the 3-4 they need to clog the middle. It's at LB where we look awfully small.

That's not small for a DE which I believe he is slated to play.

BTW, I talked to Kenton's dad at the spring game and he said that his son had gone over 300 pounds last year and the new S&C coach had gotten him down go to 290.

So who knows?

Reaction Score
Good news on Kenton. We need him at the 290 range to play up front in the 3-4

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Palatine said:
That's not small for a DE which I believe he is slated to play.

BTW, I talked to Kenton's dad at the spring game and he said that his son had gone over 300 pounds last year and the new S&C coach had gotten him down go to 290.

So who knows?

A 4-3 DE maybe, I'm not up on my 3-4 schemes, but I was under the impression that in the preferred scheme the DE's were beefier and the NT something just shy of a mountain range. It could be he'd play the weak side end.

Reaction Score
A 4-3 DE maybe, I'm not up on my 3-4 schemes, but I was under the impression that in the preferred scheme the DE's were beefier and the NT something just shy of a mountain range. It could be he'd play the weak side end.
The NY Jets play a 3-4 and the DE's they have in camp are 272, 248, 289, 280, 265. That's an NFL team which you would expect to be larger than a college team.

Reaction Score
In a way that statement contradicts itself. Dieting (losing weight), lifting presumably gaining weight. I think he could remain the same weight, but add muscle and strength in its place.

You do know that diet doesn't equal weight loss correct? Diet = what you eat. It could be a diet for weight loss, weight gain, healthy, unhealthy, strength, energy, etc.

Diaco talked about adding weight to the linemen when he arrived. So I think it's a safe assumption that the kid would be on a weight/strength gaining diet.

Reaction Score
Our offensive line without question is our weakest spot. At this point no one on that unit has proven to be even average. Next would be linebackers.

I am comfortable with the d line rotation if it will basically be a 3-4. Would like to see 5 contribute, but I think Campenni, Myers, Pruitt, and McBride can be solid.
agree with everything you said. Julian Myers Pru and McBride have the potential to hold us down on the d-line. Our depth at linebacker should help out as well. I'd be more worried about the o-line and protecting whoever starts at qb. o-line has been our biggest problem of late but with Foley back coaching the position, there is hope. George set things back a bit to say the least. I know Foley was moved back to the line when pauly was canned but now with a full offseason of coaching the position again and implementing his blocking schemes, we should see a slight improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom