Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst
UConn
Storrs, CT

Mr. Jim Delaney
BIG Commish

Dear Jim,

I hope you and your family had a wonderfully B1G holiday season. I came across a recent report from Brookings and thought you might enjoy the read. Looking forward to seeing you soon,

OXOX

Susan

150121085620-top-15-cities-gdp-2015-620xa.png

Reaction Score
Please, Jim, note that Boston is on that list.

I think that they and UConn would make for great twin adds with a built in rivalry in the east.

Reaction Score
Please, Jim, note that Boston is on that list.

I think that they and UConn would make for great twin adds with a built in rivalry in the east.
Are you trying to get rid of BC

Reaction Score
Bridgeport?
I think they include the greater bridgeport area,
Fairfield,Stratford,Trumbull,Monroe,Shelton,maybe even Newtown,Easton,
Weston.
One could also say Hartford?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a chart of GDP not income.

Reaction Score
UConn all sports + Boston University hockey only would be an excellent combination, I agree.
Not to veer off too much, but BU would turn that down.

pj

Reaction Score
Not to veer off too much, but BU would turn that down.

Probably -- it would be a loss for them athletically, but if they felt the academic CIC connection was valuable they might consider it.

But I wasn't seriously entertaining the possibility, just obliquely making the point that no one wants BC.

Reaction Score
That's a chart of GDP not income.
Actually it's GDP per capita which is a proxy for income or standard of living.

But the Brookings methodology is messed up. Hartford should be high, but not that high.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It includes corporate profits not returned as dividends. Meaning UTC, Travelers, etc. having HQ in the area helps a lot. Income is also a factor but not in the same way as is being interpreted.

How does it affect AAU? Corporate/Academic research potential.

Reaction Score
It includes corporate profits not returned as dividends. .

Don't think so. That's what the news story speculated, but I've read Brookings methodology and they make no mention of that.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst
UConn
Storrs, CT

Mr. Jim Delaney
BIG Commish

Dear Jim,
I hope you are doing well. I recall from a recent conversation that you had good things to say about FSU. I thought you might enjoy the read. Looking forward to seeing you soon,

OXOX

Susie

FSU Loses Finance VP to UConn

Jerry Ganz, CFO of the$515 billion Florida State University Foundation, is leaving the university in February to join the University of Connecticut as v.p. of finance and CFO.
Ganz spent nearly six years at the FSU, and works directly with the endowment’s investment committee and consultant. Previously, he served at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Fla. as controller.
At UConn, which has a $375 million endowment, Ganz will take over for Kevin Edwards who served as v.p. of finance. Edward left in June to join Hartford HealthCare in the position of senior investment director.
Edwards also served as CIO at UConn, although that portion of his role has not been filled and board conversations on future governance models of the investment portfolio are ongoing, Ganz says.

pj

Reaction Score
Wow, $515 billion. That's 10 Harvards.

Reaction Score
FSU has had some problems......there has probably been some finger pointing back and forth regarding who should have caught the embezzlement. It can't have been a pleasant work environment the last couple of months.

The longtime comptroller for the Seminole Boosters admitted to Leon County Sheriff's Office investigators Wednesday that he to stole money from the nonprofit and used it to pay for his own investments and other personal expenses, according to court documents.

Sanford Lovingood, 64, was promptly fired by the Boosters, the main fundraising arm for Florida State University athletics, who originally discovered the "misappropriations" during a Wednesday review of the nonprofit's banking records.

Lovingood turned himself in to the Leon County Sheriff's Office on a felony charge of grand theft of more than 100,000 Wednesday.
Seminole Boosters Chief Executive Officer and President Andy Miller said in a news release Wednesday evening that Lovingood took between $500,000 and $700,000. The Boosters say they are assisting LCSO with the investigation. A forensic audit is underway to determine exactly how much was stolen, Miller said.

"We will aggressively pursue recovery of the funds and are confident they will be restored," said Mike Harrell, chairman of the Seminole Boosters Board of Directors. "We take our fiscal responsibilities very seriously."

Booster members raised their concerns to Lovingood over lunch Wednesday, when he told them he stole a large amount of money through the Boosters' Morgan Stanley stock account, in which stock donations made to the Boosters are sold and transferred into cash.

Lovingood drew a diagram for investigators to detail how in 2011 he started writing a series of checks from the Morgan Stanley account to Schooner Development Corporation, where he is listed as an officer, according to the Florida Department of State Division of Corporations. He then used these funds to pay for his own T.D. Ameritrade investments and personal expenses, court documents said.

Lovingood said all checks from the Mogran Stanley account were in his handwriting and that there would be no reason for the Boosters to cut a check to Schooner. He told investigators planned to repay the money by willing property that he owned back to the Boosters.

Lovingood was well-known in the FSU community and amongst boosters, who expressed sheer disbelief at the news. The Boosters briefed FSU Interim President Garnett S. Stokes, the Board of Trustees, the administration, Athletics Department and the Seminole Booster Board of Directors on Wednesday.

Tom Jennings, FSU's vice president for university advancement, oversees Seminole Boosters along with the Alumni Association and FSU Foundation. Jennings said he learned about the missing funds shortly before the boosters' emergency board meeting Wednesday afternoon.
"We take donor trust very seriously. We are very concerned and are going to take every step to make sure this never happens again," Jennings said.

He noted that the investigation is ongoing.
"We're still trying to learn more about what happened. Obviously, we are very disappointed," Jennings added.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99