DD - High Ankle Sprain | The Boneyard

DD - High Ankle Sprain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know he came back in and gutted it out but as a physical therapist who works with these injuries this will affect his game for about 4 weeks minimum. I for one hope he sits the Houston game (I know he already said he will play in that game). Granted we don't know if its a grade 1 or grade 2 high ankle sprain at this point but I think we all agree we need a healthy DD to make any sort of run in the tournament

Reaction Score
He will be much much worst today and the coming days than last night…….it will be interesting but I agree. If hobbled he sits until ready…….

Reaction Score
I know he came back in and gutted it out but as a physical therapist who works with these injuries this will affect his game for about 4 weeks minimum. I for one hope he sits the Houston game (I know he already said he will play in that game). Granted we don't know if its a grade 1 or grade 2 high ankle sprain at this point but I think we all agree we need a healthy DD to make any sort of run in the tournament

The grade is very important, isn't it? I always hear with high ankle sprains that you can play on it when it happens, but then afterwards, everything blows up and you're totally limited in movement, and you're in pain. Gronkowski got one in the AFCCG a few years ago and could not move by the Super Bowl 2 weeks later.

Also, isn't one of the grades for high ankle sprain actually a minor fracture? Walking boot for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
High ankle sprain for me is like a hip pointer I once got. Too painful and aggravating to be effective. Also it will always let you know its there causing you to favor the injury.

DD is then and playing power forward, being already at a disadvantage down low, without foot/ankle strength (holding position) and good mobility he could be a liability if not healthy.

The question now is who steps up?

Reaction Score

Have we heard it is definitely a high ankle sprain?

Reaction Score
At least he gets a long rest until the next game. Maybe he only misses 1

Reaction Score
If it is a high ankle sprain, I'd see him missing 4 games and returning against Memphis on Feb 15. No way he's ready for Cincy @Cincy.

Reaction Score
If it is a high ankle sprain, I'd see him missing 4 games and returning against Memphis on Feb 15. No way he's ready for Cincy @Cincy.
The kid from Florida had a high ankle sprain at the end of the Uconn game. Played week later. It really depends on the grade of the sprain.

Reaction Score
This almost, almost reminds me of the guy from a few years back that kept posting about Oak's back, except that guy was a lot more doom and gloom than this post.

Reaction Score
Ollie said in the post game it was a high ankle sprain. Im sure they will get an MRI early this week. Grade I he should be out until the Cincy Game at the very least. Memphis game would be a good goal for his return as posted earlier by Upstater

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This almost, almost reminds me of the guy from a few years back that kept posting about Oak's back, except that guy was a lot more doom and gloom than this post.
I'm 99% sure it's the same poster. For some reason I always remember that thread and how happy I was that he turned out to be completely inaccurate in his diagnosis.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ollie said in the post game it was a high ankle sprain. Im sure they will get an MRI early this week. Grade I he should be out until the Cincy Game at the very least. Memphis game would be a good goal for his return as posted earlier by Upstater
A lot of it has to do with individual pain tolerance. A lot of people don't miss a game with a grade one sprain

Reaction Score
I remember the UConn tight end who had the high ankle sprain and basically missed all season.

DD is such a great kid i hope its not serious and he's back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Reaction Score
Ollie said in the post game it was a high ankle sprain.
Not a doctor here, but quite familiar with lower leg sprains.
High ankle sprain is a separation/tear of the ligaments holding the lower part of the two leg bones together, as I recall.
Hard to imagine any sort of details could be discerned without an MRI/x-ray or the like.
Until then, he has some sort of lower leg injury, and we'll wait and see.
Ultimately, the kid has a shot at the NBA, and he should not play until the risk of injury is what it was prior to the injury.

Reaction Score
I posted about Oak back in the day (as did a lot of boneyarders) - but my dx turned out to be accurate ( I remember some health expert stated he may need sx). Perhaps it was somebody else your thinking of. CAHUSKY there is no doubt that individual pain tolerance is part of the equation however even if you can handle the pain the performance will still suffer. Gronk in super bowl as previously stated. CJ Spiller trying to play through it for the Bills this year underperformed all season. Daniels stated after the game that he couldn't push off his right leg at all. Not worth it for him gutting it out at this point in the season. We need him for the stretch run.

Reaction Score
He should sit out vs houston. Regardless , we really don't need lingering injuries.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not a doctor, but since I'm on the Boneyard I feel entitled to a medical opinion...

Not sure why our second best player was back on the court after barely being able to walk off the court twenty minutes earlier. Wouldn't it have been safer to just ice the ankle down and call it a night?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So according to the boneyard, he could be out for the season or won't miss a game. He apparently will be in pain today and unlikely to be able to move it in two weeks and we hope he will be back in two to three weeks or three or four games but we definitely think he shouldn't play against Houston because we're pretty sure he is hurt. If only UConn would get a training staff to assess the situation and decide what is best, DD wouldn't have to rely on the boneyard to figure out if it's a possible career threatening injury or possible season ending injury or perhaps 1 game off injury, or maybe not that bad at all injury.

And where the hell are those offensive game plans you all have been promising to help Ollie fix the damn offense?

You can't expect this team to succeed on professional coaching and trainers alone!

Reaction Score
So according to the boneyard, he could be out for the season or won't miss a game. He apparently will be in pain today and unlikely to be able to move it in two weeks and we hope he will be back in two to three weeks or three or four games but we definitely think he shouldn't play against Houston because we're pretty sure he is hurt. If only UConn would get a training staff to assess the situation and decide what is best, DD wouldn't have to rely on the boneyard to figure out if it's a possible career threatening injury or possible season ending injury or perhaps 1 game off injury, or maybe not that bad at all injury.

And where the hell are those offensive game plans you all have been promising to help Ollie fix the damn offense?

You can't expect this team to succeed on professional coaching and trainers alone!
Is it Thursday yet?

Reaction Score
If UConn is thinking of making any sort of run in the NCAA tournament, then DeAndre Daniels needs to be healthy. I recommend he just chills out until the Cincy game so he doesn't do anything that can aggravate his injury vs Houston. Rest is key, and they shouldn't gamble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac

Top Bottom