Day One: has Rutgers won anything? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Day One: has Rutgers won anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey like you guys I'm simply a fan....really of both school's and only want to see some local top notch FB and keep the midatlantic in the national pic again before I expire guys! I'm in a no win situation here so I think I'll just read in this thread and try to avoid any kind of response...like i say..I'm just a regular guy/fan! Just thought you guys got a crappy deal in CR and won't be happy until it's rectified.

No need to avoid responding -- respond all you like. Respectfully, the differences between our athletic programs (and between UConn's and at least 3/4 of the "Power 5") is vast and wide, and that's the most frustrating thing of all.

Reaction Score
No need to avoid responding -- respond all you like. Respectfully, the differences between our athletic programs (and between UConn's and at least 3/4 of the "Power 5") is vast and wide, and that's the most frustrating thing of all.
Yes no doubt about it UConn9604 thats an undeniable fact but in CR i'm not so sure that really matters. Did you read the WVU long,strange road thread(story?)!! I'm surpised they got in the B12 but for the fact of relationships(Ollie Luck)and you're school would have been a bigger homerun for them along with Texas and NYC/Boston would have given them solid national exposure rather than a 1.8M small pocket with no nearby airport!?! And I like WVU as my nephews an "02" alum! Isn't U Kansas you're "other" school ?

Reaction Score
How long are some of you guys gonne keep this up? I think there should be a mass consensus asking what your pres and AD is doing.
I don't think this thread has anywhere to go beyond being divisive !?! Its done and only an ACC fan could thrive commenting here doing what some of them do knowing RU's aversion to them(ACC) and prefering all along our goal the B1G. Between RU and UConn and hanging onto UMd they could've locked down the eastern seaboard forever...talk about lack of vision!

Reaction Score
How long are some of you guys gonne keep this up? I think there should be a mass consensus asking what your pres and AD is doing.

I'm admittedly not a UConn fan, but I can sort of understand why they're upset. Rutgers really does have a pretty lackluster athletic resume, yet it has a home in a power conference. Meanwhile, Connecticut rubs elbows with East Carolina and Tulsa. With that said, I think some of them hate the game, not the player.

I don't think this thread has anywhere to go beyond being divisive !?! Its done and only an ACC fan could thrive commenting here doing what some of them do knowing RU's aversion to them(ACC) and prefering all along our goal the B1G. Between RU and UConn and hanging onto UMd they could've locked down the eastern seaboard forever...talk about lack of vision!

This is the biggest piece that, to me, is flying under the radar about the ACC. Swofford had Boston, NY, Baltimore, DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami and others in his stable and couldn't leverage that into more than the 5th best tv contract out of the five power conferences. Now, the eastern flank of the Big Ten cuts right through what should've been the greatest assemblage of media markets in college sports. His properties aren't slouches either. I get that football money rules the day, but the ACC has some serious organizational agenda setting and leadership issues that aren't being addressed and won't change until Swofford is out. The fact that he urged ACC members to sign away their Tier 3 rights to Raycom is laughable. Now, he expects ESPN to give them a conference. LOL @ him.

Reaction Score
These threads are kind of amusing in that they draw folks from other schools in who seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

If CR had anything once so ever to do with athletic and academic success UCONN would be in the P5 and Rutgers would not. It has next to nothing to do with those factors and everything to do with the perception conferences have with the market a given athletic program can deliver. That's it.

....and btw, had UCONN been playing big time football ten years earlier then when it first started we would have been in either the ACC or B1G well before BC, Syracuse or Rutgers. So simple timing played a role as well.

Carry on............

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank listed the value of different schools to the B1G back in April 2010. Texas would have brought the most money to the B1G. But check out teams 2, 3, and 4 - Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland. Based on strictly these schools, Boston College would be the next most valuable team to add. However, schools like UVA, UNC, etc. are not included on the chart. UCONN was estimated to bring 38 million per year to the conference. IF that is accurate, and if the B1G ends up making 45 million per school with the next TV contract, UCONN would not bring more value to the conference than it would take in revenue sharing, which means it would be a net loss for the conference. Not sure how accurate these estimates are, but there has to be something to it given that the second, third and fourth most valuable $$$ addition are now in the conference.

Here is his chart:

http://frankthetank.me/2010/04/

CANDIDATES TOTAL ADDED REVENUE ESTIMATE
Texas $101,369,004
Rutgers WITH NYC $67,798,609
Nebraska $54,487,990
Maryland $50,818,889
Boston College $48,382,692
Notre Dame $47,629,255
Kansas $46,320,092
Missouri $45,901,459
Syracuse $43,504,813
Connecticut $38,080,271
Pittsburgh $34,365,175
Iowa State $31,831,077

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank listed the value of different schools to the B1G back in April 2010. Texas would have brought the most money to the B1G. But check out teams 2, 3, and 4 - Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland. Based on strictly these schools, Boston College would be the next most valuable team to add. However, schools like UVA, UNC, etc. are not included on the chart. UCONN was estimated to bring 38 million per year to the conference. IF that is accurate, and if the B1G ends up making 45 million per school with the next TV contract, UCONN would not bring more value to the conference than it would take in revenue sharing, which means it would be a net loss for the conference. Not sure how accurate these estimates are, but there has to be something to it given that the second, third and fourth most valuable $ addition are now in the conference.

Here is his chart:

Texas $101,369,004
Nebraska $54,487,990
Maryland $50,818,889
Notre Dame $47,629,255
Kansas $46,320,092
Missouri $45,901,459
Syracuse $43,504,813
Connecticut $38,080,271
Pittsburgh $34,365,175
Iowa State $31,831,077

I'd be interested in the methodology used to come up with these figures. Any analysis that implies that Boston College would add more revenue than Notre Dame likely has too many flaws to count.

Reaction Score
It's cable subscribers. Notre Dame doesn't bring a state full of new BTN network subscribers. Where ND makes money for the B1G would be in a huge increase in tv advertising on BTN as well as the Irish fans who live spread out across the nation that would actively pay extra for a higher tier BTN subscription since it would not automatically be on basic cable in any new states.

Reaction Score
Little ol UConn?

Nicky, it 's hard to serve two masters. Hence if you read or post on this board you will have to ignore our feelings about RU and not let it get to you, or stop reading/ posting. Yesterday I read the Rivals RU boards and their hatred of the OBE and specifically UConn, and anyone with any connection to the OBE is unbelievable.. It also torques my butt that they have leached off of the BE by contributing absolutely NOTHING.

I like you as a poster as you have some informative things to post, but......

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank listed the value of different schools to the B1G back in April 2010. Texas would have brought the most money to the B1G. But check out teams 2, 3, and 4 - Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland. Based on strictly these schools, Boston College would be the next most valuable team to add. However, schools like UVA, UNC, etc. are not included on the chart. UCONN was estimated to bring 38 million per year to the conference. IF that is accurate, and if the B1G ends up making 45 million per school with the next TV contract, UCONN would not bring more value to the conference than it would take in revenue sharing, which means it would be a net loss for the conference. Not sure how accurate these estimates are, but there has to be something to it given that the second, third and fourth most valuable $ addition are now in the conference.

Here is his chart:

Texas $101,369,004
Nebraska $54,487,990
Maryland $50,818,889
Notre Dame $47,629,255
Kansas $46,320,092
Missouri $45,901,459
Syracuse $43,504,813
Connecticut $38,080,271
Pittsburgh $34,365,175
Iowa State $31,831,077

That's not completely accurate....Syracuse was listed at close to $66 million with NYC...and if Rutgers and Syracuse get a bump due to NYC shouldn't UConn also? Listing should read

Texas $101 M
Rutgers $68 m with NYC
Syracuse $66 m with NYC
UConn $58 m with NYC
Neb $54 Mil
Maryland $50m etc....

Reaction Score
Nicky, it 's hard to serve two masters. Hence if you read or post on this board you will have to ignore our feelings about RU and not let it get to you, or stop reading/ posting. Yesterday I read the Rivals RU boards and their hatred of the OBE and specifically UConn, and anyone with any connection to the OBE is unbelievable.. It also torques my butt that they have leached off of the BE by contributing absolutely NOTHING.

I like you as a poster as you have some informative things to post, but.
Good luck this season UConnell and glad to see you in cheerful spirits about lurking where even I don't dwell as an RU fan where you'll always find the fruitcakes esp in my homestate...whose my other master? I like UConn and eastern FB ...how does that translate into service? Support might be a better word !?!

Reaction Score
I didn't include the Syracuse w NYC because it's a moot point now that all of NYC has BTN. Rutgers still had the higher value including NYC.

Reaction Score
Good luck this season UConnell and glad to see you in cheerful spirits about lurking where even I don't dwell as an RU fan where you'll always find the fruitcakes esp in my homestate...whose my other master? I like UConn and eastern FB ...how does that translate into service? Support might be a better word !?!

Truthfully I went over there to wish them good luck, but after reading that thread I added a few more words and I guess the mods wouldn't accept my post. Oh well. Didn't mean to diss you, as I said you do offer a different view and info.

Reaction Score
Truthfully I went over there to wish them good luck, but after reading that thread I added a few more words and I guess the mods wouldn't accept my post. Oh well. Didn't mean to diss you, as I said you do offer a different view and info.
Hey under the circumstances Ive found myself doing just what you done...its easy as a fan to lose our perspective but i figured coming off the thread you were talking about there made me sick!! The bottom drunken third of the barrel letting off unearned steam!! No big deal between us uconnell ur alright with me. Truthfully thats a dull boring site I use to keep up with recruiting but never joined or posted on.

Reaction Score
Well I guess now I'll have to take the off my reading list.
In addition my friend after the way the large publics were treated
I sorta understand their glee at fleeing/escaping a conference run out of Providence that always gave preferential treatment to the small privates hence my hate of the arrogance of most of the OBE small schools and sympathising with our "peer" school and neighbor you guys(UConn)!! Its a shame some of the less informed mix you guys in with the Providence mob...esp Tranghese who'd knock RU so as not to lose them to the B1G. God nows what damage they've done to a old proud school!?! After fighting on and posting in NYC/NJ newspapers comment sections in you're(UConn) behalf even as far as getting banned on certain sites arguing your case you hopefully can see my position as being fair and rational.

Reaction Score

Here is his chart:

Texas $101,369,004
Nebraska $54,487,990
Maryland $50,818,889
Notre Dame $47,629,255
Kansas $46,320,092
Missouri $45,901,459
Syracuse $43,504,813
Connecticut $38,080,271
Pittsburgh $34,365,175
Iowa State $31,831,077

The only itty bitty assumption being that schools like Rutgers and BC can deliver cable subscribers in their respective markets. One need only see the value attributable to BC relative to ND to realize how flawed the assumptions are behind those numbers.

Reaction Score
The BTN is already on basic cable in NYC (or will be before the season starts). It doesn't matter if anyone in NYC watches it or not. Rutgers has already delivered the cable subscribers because agreements have already been signed with the major cable operators in New Jersey and NYC. If that wasn't a slam dunk obvious thing to happen, Rutgers never would have been invited.

Reaction Score
The BTN is already on basic cable in NYC (or will be before the season starts). It doesn't matter if anyone in NYC watches it or not. Rutgers has already delivered the cable subscribers because agreements have already been signed with the major cable operators in New Jersey and NYC. If that wasn't a slam dunk obvious thing to happen, Rutgers never would have been invited.

Sure, although you could have the discussion with regards to what Rutgers actually delivered. At some point the long-term value will be based on what people actually watch, and given Rutgers' athletic performance over the years one wonders how enamored the metro-NY area is with a mediocre university athletic department. We're talking about a major university that gets under a 1,000 attendees for some of its men's hoop games. I know football drives this, but I think that's symptomatic of a bit of a problem....no?

It's a similar discussion for BC which simply does not deliver eyeballs in the Boston market. That's a football program with Doug Flutie in its history that puts about 40,000 fannies into Alumni and Conte is an absolute morgue.

I think a lot of the thinking around CR is based on some very faulty long-term economic assumptions. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Yes I was confident in the Chicago based research firms findings relative to RU but I'm a little puzzled in regards to BC's listed value in the Boston/NE area where I'm pretty confident UConn would be the dominant value in local interest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Here is his chart:

Texas $101,369,004
Nebraska $54,487,990
Maryland $50,818,889
Notre Dame $47,629,255
Kansas $46,320,092
Missouri $45,901,459
Syracuse $43,504,813
Connecticut $38,080,271
Pittsburgh $34,365,175
Iowa State $31,831,077

Take another look at the article. These numbers don't purport to be the value of the schools to the B1G but rather that value added to the BTN. Even for that it is hardly definitive, more of a back of the envelope estimation. For example Patrick, the guest who made the chart says "Regardless, at $0.36 per month for 26,000,000 households over 12 months I only came up with $112,320,000 for a cable carry rate. Well short of the $272,000,000 that the network likely made last year." He assumes the difference is advertising. That's what known as a "plug" which is an assumption to make the math work.

There isn't a lot back up but I would be curious to know how he developed his "households" number. I suspect that the he used the Hartford/New Haven DMA numbers solely, which as we know excludes Fairfield County and parts of the eastern part of the state. ...Yep I took a look at his back up chart and he shows 1,010,000 household in Connecticut. The actual number is 1,360,184. He also assume a flat per home increase in revenue. Stated differently, he assumes the value watching a college game is the same everywhere. So Boston college brings 100% of viewers in it's DMA. We know that's not true. SNY's investment in Connecticut basketball is a great indicator of the depth of interest in Connecticut. Not only did SNY, after years of failing to draw interest, suddenly get 100% penetration in Connecticut, they did so charging a premium for it to be on the basic tier. That isn't reflected in his table.

Keep in mind also that every household isn't fungible in terms of advertising value. Connecticut is one of the highest (it's usually us or Jersey) household incomes in the country. Reaching those homes has more value to advertisers than, say, upstate New York.

Finally Connecticut has enormous name recognition (call it a Q rating...sort of) for basketball. Not many people are going to tune in across the country to watch a BCU game but they will to watch the national champions. That's not reflected in his chart. For what it's worth, while woman's basketball certainly "doesn't drive the bus" in conference realignment, UConn Woman's basketball bring value to the BTN by generating product that people actually watch.

Stuff looks pretty official when organized into a chart, but I suspect the B1G has done a significantly more in depth analysis.

pj

Reaction Score
Take another look at the article. These numbers don't purport to be the value of the schools to the B1G but rather that value added to the BTN. Even for that it is hardly definitive, more of a back of the envelope estimation. For example Patrick, the guest who made the chart says "Regardless, at $0.36 per month for 26,000,000 households over 12 months I only came up with $112,320,000 for a cable carry rate. Well short of the $272,000,000 that the network likely made last year." He assumes the difference is advertising. That's what known as a "plug" which is an assumption to make the math work.

There isn't a lot back up but I would be curious to know how he developed his "households" number. I suspect that the he used the Hartford/New Haven DMA numbers solely, which as we know excludes Fairfield County and parts of the eastern part of the state. ...Yep I took a look at his back up chart and he shows 1,010,000 household in Connecticut. The actual number is 1,360,184. He also assume a flat per home increase in revenue. Stated differently, he assumes the value watching a college game is the same everywhere. So Boston college brings 100% of viewers in it's DMA. We know that's not true. SNY's investment in Connecticut basketball is a great indicator of the depth of interest in Connecticut. Not only did SNY, after years of failing to draw interest, suddenly get 100% penetration in Connecticut, they did so charging a premium for it to be on the basic tier. That isn't reflected in his table.

Keep in mind also that every household isn't fungible in terms of advertising value. Connecticut is one of the highest (it's usually us or Jersey) household incomes in the country. Reaching those homes has more value to advertisers than, say, upstate New York.

Finally Connecticut has enormous name recognition (call it a Q rating...sort of) for basketball. Not many people are going to tune in across the country to watch a BCU game but they will to watch the national champions. That's not reflected in his chart. For what it's worth, while woman's basketball certainly "doesn't drive the bus" in conference realignment, UConn Woman's basketball bring value to the BTN by generating product that people actually watch.

Stuff looks pretty official when organized into a chart, but I suspect the B1G has done a significantly more in depth analysis.

Yes, the numbers were absurd. To the BTN UConn brings at least 4x more value than BC or Syracuse would. Neither of those schools would be close to pulling their weight. UConn would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom