Day One: has Rutgers won anything? | The Boneyard

Day One: has Rutgers won anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sheep. Lamb. Lame.

Success at Rutgers is when the Men's LacrosseProgram advances to 8-8 from 2-13.

Reaction Score
They will get paid to be the annual whipping boy for PSU, OSU, et al.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes they will. They will also have their academics/research augmented by the CIC. The lottery analogy is a good one. RU didn't stab us in the back. They just benefitted from being wedged between NYC and Philly. Tough to begrudge them that.

Last edited:

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Wish them the best and hope they can clean up their mess so they can help vote us in when the league hopes to expand. My biggest worry in all of this though is that none of the universities or colleges around us want us in the acc or b1g since we are to much of a competitive threat.

I never have seen Rutgers as a rival... Just another team trying to flee he sinking ship. They just had the golden ticket.

Reaction Score
From a B1G standpoint, competition from UCONN isn't something to fear (Penn State and Nebraska were added after all). It comes down to money. Can UCONN bring in more money for the conference than it would take away? I think that is a primary consideration.

AAU status and being in a state that borders a B1G state might be primary factors as well.

I think having a smaller football stadium and few 4/5 star football recruits hurt more than not having a winning football program. UCONN can add seats to a stadium, but can't make top recruits appear out of nowhere in-state. I think that is something that could hold back a B1G offer for expansion.

I have no idea how the issues I mentioned would rank with Delany or which are deal breakers, but I think those are all the issues that would have to be worked out. A key point is making more money for other conference teams than you take by being a fully vested equal partner.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how the issues I mentioned would rank with Delany or which are deal breakers, but I think those are all the issues that would have to be worked out. A key point is making more money for other conference teams than you take by being a fully vested equal partner.

This is really what it's all about. Nebraska, for example, won't receive a full share until 2017. If Nebraska -- one of the most valuable football properties in the country -- had to wait six years for a full share, you can be sure that we would get a lot of scrutiny before we received ours, as well.

(At this point, I'd take a 16-year phase in.)

Reaction Score
They're won about as much in the B1G as they won in the Big East...

Reaction Score
Yes they will. They will also have their academics/research augmented by the CIC. The lottery analogy is a good one. RU didn't stab us in the back. They just benefitted from being wedged between NYC and Philly. Tough to begrudge them that.
Well....
I begrudge them way more than Louisville. Rutgers is an example of "falling forward". They earned nothing on merit and everything because they are located close to the biggest US city. At least Louisville earned their spot. Louisville is the poor kid success story. The kid who did well and made something of themselves, despite his/her roots. Rutgers pisses me off because they were worse than average and still got rewarded through no merit of their own.

Reaction Score
Well....
I begrudge them way more than Louisville. Rutgers is an example of "falling forward". They earned nothing on merit and everything because they are located close to the biggest US city. At least Louisville earned their spot. Louisville is the poor kid success story. The kid who did well and made something of themselves, despite his/her roots. Rutgers pisses me off because they were worse than average and still got rewarded through no merit of their own.
Not only did Rutgers "fall forward" but they landed in the end zone. Can't begrudge them though. Indiana "earned" its spot a hundred or so years ago by virtue of its geography. A lot of who is where had to do with who was where.

Reaction Score
Well....
Are you not "banking" on location? Isn't that what makes a school attractive? You guys will get you're spot soon you're administration just got outworked by Jurich and banked on the wrong conference! Don't begrudge someone who did'nt. For all their flaws(RU) they made the right moves in CR though it took 24 years of work!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Are you not "banking" on location? Isn't that what makes a school attractive? You guys will get you're spot soon you're administration just got outworked by Jurich and banked on the wrong conference! Don't begrudge someone who did'nt. For all their flaws(RU) they made the right moves in CR though it took 24 years of work!
There is nothing attractive about RU other than cable boxes. Continuing to insist that it was done on merit and connections is silly, but that's the only drum you've got to bang. It's time to find out what your new conference mates think of you, go hang out on an OSU board.

Reaction Score
I disagree that there is nothing attractive about RU other than cable boxes, but that certainly is a primary factor in them joining the B1G. It's also about recruits. This is a point that is not brought up often in the media. There are 32 football recruits in the ESPN 300 in the traditional B1G footprint. There are also 32 football recruits in the ESPN 300 in the NYC/NJ/MD/DC/NOVA corridor. By simply adding Maryland and Rutgers, the B1G has essentially doubled it's home field advantage for recruiting top football talent. From a conference standpoint, it does not matter if the Jersey kids stay home and play for Rutgers or not, nor does it matter if the DC/MD/NOVA kids stay home and play for Maryland or not. What does matter is if the talent in this new region stays within the B1G footprint. If the B1G can lockdown that corridor like it locks down the Midwest, that will only improve the conference overall, regardless of how well Maryland or Rutgers perform on the field.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_0853f4b0-013b-11e4-a1dc-0019bb2963f4.html

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Not only did Rutgers "fall forward" but they landed in the end zone. Can't begrudge them though. Indiana "earned" its spot a hundred or so years ago by virtue of its geography. A lot of who is where had to do with who was where.

More of a "fail" forward.

Reaction Score
I disagree that there is nothing attractive about RU other than cable boxes, but that certainly is a primary factor in them joining the B1G. It's also about recruits. This is a point that is not brought up often in the media. There are 32 football recruits in the ESPN 300 in the traditional B1G footprint. There are also 32 football recruits in the ESPN 300 in the NYC/NJ/MD/DC/NOVA corridor. By simply adding Maryland and Rutgers, the B1G has essentially doubled it's home field advantage for recruiting top football talent. From a conference standpoint, it does not matter if the Jersey kids stay home and play for Rutgers or not, nor does it matter if the DC/MD/NOVA kids stay home and play for Maryland or not. What does matter is if the talent in this new region stays within the B1G footprint. If the B1G can lockdown that corridor like it locks down the Midwest, that will only improve the conference overall, regardless of how well Maryland or Rutgers perform on the field.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_0853f4b0-013b-11e4-a1dc-0019bb2963f4.html
I like yourself am a regular guest here though outside my love and state pride for NJ I always pull for UConn unless its against RU. Their's sarcastic things i could but refuse to say in defense of RU due to "what good does it do?" i avoid it so appreciate the "outsiders" viewpoints....he asked me to look at OSU or Bucknuts board (which I do) and if he thinks RU was unpopularly perceived in the midwest wait until he see's the perception of HIS school outside Conn!!! Not pretty!! Heck, almost every B1G team is familiar with NJ due to the large numbers of players in NJ and environ's on most B1G teams and the fact RU has been playing with fair success against many of the B1G schools for many yrs earning respect and building relationships! While they played RI, Mass, Maine etc RU was taking on with smaller schools Ala, Tenn, UF, PSU and many top P5 type schools with decent results though undermanned and with little support. btw from what I've seen most midwesterners are happier with appreciative RU than the other add with a proud hoops history due to the unhappiness of many in there fanbase.Md is the door to southern B1G expansion as RU is to NE expansion..who's left? I'd like UConn/Va or 1 of Kansas/Mizzou in the west if UV is uncooperative!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'd take that role in a NY minute.
True, but believe that we'll be competitive in any conference eventually competing for championships even in football. We have too much institutional history and success for me to believe otherwise.

Reaction Score

Nick, I don't begrudge Rutgers for getting into the Big Ten, but the only move that Rutgers made to get into the Big Ten was to be founded in what would become the densest state in the Union. That's it. There isn't a single athletic achievement on the merits that you can point to which made Rutgers attractive to the Big Ten. Not one.

Don't get me wrong -- if UConn had joined yesterday, I'd have spent all day buying rounds for anyone and everyone who happened to stroll into Ted's on a Tuesday afternoon. You have every right to be excited.

However, Rutgers is the prom queen, not the star QB, and there's a big difference.

Reaction Score
Last NCAA championship was in Fencing in 1949

Possible claim to National Championship in Cheerleading in 1998.

But Rutgers isn't our problem. (BTW they don't act like they woke up on third base and convinced themselves that they hit a triple.)
They realize they hit powerball - they are much more easily tolerated then the underachieving bast***ds from Syracuse or the perpetually constipated crew in Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
Nick, I don't begrudge Rutgers for getting into the Big Ten, but the only move that Rutgers made to get into the Big Ten was to be founded in what would become the densest state in the Union. That's it. There isn't a single athletic achievement on the merits that you can point to which made Rutgers attractive to the Big Ten. Not one.

Don't get me wrong -- if UConn had joined yesterday, I'd have spent all day buying rounds for anyone and everyone who happened to stroll into Ted's on a Tuesday afternoon. You have every right to be excited.

However, Rutgers is the prom queen, not the star QB, and there's a big difference.
Hey like you guys I'm simply a fan....really of both school's and only want to see some local top notch FB and keep the midatlantic in the national pic again before I expire guys! I'm in a no win situation here so I think I'll just read in this thread and try to avoid any kind of response...like i say..I'm just a regular guy/fan! Just thought you guys got a crappy deal in CR and won't be happy until it's rectified.

Reaction Score
Last NCAA championship was in Fencing in 1949

Possible claim to National Championship in Cheerleading in 1998.

But Rutgers isn't our problem. (BTW they don't act like they woke up on third base and convinced themselves that they hit a triple.)
They realize they hit powerball - they are much more easily tolerated then the underachieving bast***ds from Syracuse or the perpetually constipated crew in Chestnut Hill.
We did have a great 70s esp 76 with both major sports undefeated but underappreciated! Over 100+(or 90 not exactly sure) wins in FB from (72?-81?) IIR...turning down the BE in 79 didnt help though with us following PSU's lead in trying to start a eastern league NOT called the BE. With that our fortunes turned slowly backwards untill "05" in FB after a dead late 90s/02!!Ugg Graber was OK but got VERY little support but Terry Shea was our PP. Thank god for Shady lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom