Daniels/Boatright Decision | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Daniels/Boatright Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Predictions:
- DD leaves and it's disappointing and a marginally bad decision (drafted 33rd)
- Boat leaves and it's disappointing and an abysmal decision (drafted 55th)

For his sake I hope its not the case but I just don't see how Boat is drafted, if he did it wouldn't be an abysmal decision because even if he returns he's not going higher than 2nd round next year. the precedent for guys like him getting drafted 1st round just isn't really there, Nate Rob isn't like these other guys, he's even more athletic than the rest.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
For his sake I hope its not the case but I just don't see how Boat is drafted, if he did it wouldn't be an abysmal decision because even if he returns he's not going higher than 2nd round next year. the precedent for guys like him getting drafted 1st round just isn't really there, Nate Rob isn't like these other guys, he's even more athletic than the rest.
But he'd have a chance of being drafted. Most second rounders make a team, at least for a year

Reaction Score
But he'd have a chance of being drafted. Most second rounders make a team, at least for a year

? I'm on the side that Boat should return because he would put himself in a better position to be drafted...

Reaction Score
Boatright is a perfect example of why players should be allowed to test the NBA waters and get feedback. It's a damn shame they can't.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
? I'm on the side that Boat should return because he would put himself in a better position to be drafted...
It sounded like you were saying he shouldn't come back cause the highest he could be drafted is second round. My bad

Reaction Score
I will not be posting in the NBA. Coming back to the boneyard in 2014!!!!
I say BoatShow ends up staying.. Not too certain about De'Andre... He showed a lot of folks what he is capable of on the basketball court in the tournament. I wish he stays though...

If they both stay, we got a shot at 'Shocking the World" again...

C

Chief00

Now back to the issue at hand. They both are leaving, could a 20 year old change their mind? of course - but not likely in this case.
It doesn't really matter what you want them to do - you can shoot the messenger but that won't change things.
When I posted my first post in this thread the prevailing sentiment was that he was staying; since then it's been more of a split.
The coaches have been out recruiting hard and that's where they should be.
Quite frankly, I agree Boat might be able to show he can run a team if he came back, I don't know but maybe he doesn't want that responsibility - more likely it's about money or fools gold depending what you think.

Reaction Score
When I posted my first post in this thread the prevailing sentiment was that he was staying; since then it's been more of a split.

Hahaha, converting the masses, huh? You are certifiable. I love it.

Reaction Score
Now back to the issue at hand. They both are leaving, could a 20 year old change their mind? of course - but not likely in this case.
It doesn't really matter what you want them to do - you can shoot the messenger but that won't change things.
The coaches have been out recruiting hard and that's where they should be.
Quite frankly, I agree Boat might be able to show he can run a team if he came back, I don't know but maybe he doesn't want that responsibility - more likely it's about money or fools gold depending what you think.
You are certifiable.

You have changed no ones mind, people were simply discussing if they went.

After the Calhoun/BC nonsense most people would chill out with their "sources" but not you. Hey one day you will be right, out of blind luck, but you will be right.

Reaction Score
At 5'10" there is nothing "tweener" about him, he has but one position to play. I think Napier greatly increased his draft stock this season. Boatright may not have the same upside but I think as the focal point of the offense he could at least get himself into a position to be drafted. Staying would also get him a lot closer to a degree. He is not likely to make enough playing overseas to just kick back after his professional career is over after 8-10 years. The degree would help a lot with his life after basketball.

I think he should stay, its the best choice from a basketball and non-basketball standpoint but I wish him the best whichever he chooses.
By tweeer, I mean a 5'10 2-guard who needs to play the point.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Jahii Carson play and can compare their games? He's about the same size as Boat I think and projected as 2nd round talent.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Jahii Carson play and can compare their games? He's about the same size as Boat I think and projected as 2nd round talent.
Carson is miles ahead of regular season Boat, the postseason version of Boat closes the gap a lil but Carson is still better. Carson is even a better athlete than Boat because he doesn't require that "power up/loading period" before launching into the air that Boat needs. Better and more consistent shooter, better and more creative distributor(in fairness to Boat, Carson is the main PG and doesn't play in a dual PG system so he has more opportunities to create) and he has the shiftyness and change of direction tricks to free himself from defenders ala Bazz and Kemba. Boat has a bigtime edge in D but Carson also has way more responsibility handling the ball and creating offense so it would be alot to ask him to play full out on D as well. My boy is an Adidas rep and worked the Adidas Nations this summer and said Carson and Boat were matched up quite often during scrimmage sessions and Carson outplayed him by a pretty good margin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Poythress and Dakari Johnson are staying. I think DD is going to see this as an opportunity to leave. I was hoping every single one of these guys was going to declare, but there have been way too many surprise stay-in-schools.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Poythress and Dakari Johnson are staying. I think DD is going to see this as an opportunity to leave. I was hoping every single one of these guys was going to declare, but there have been way too many surprise stay-in-schools.
You think Poythress and Johnson are "surprise stay-in-schools"? Neither really did much this year to indicate they would go ahead of DD.

Reaction Score
You think Poythress and Johnson are "surprise stay-in-schools"? Neither really did much this year to indicate they would go ahead of DD.

They attend Kentucky. If they're staying for a second or, in the case of Poythress, third year, it's extremely likely Squid has already recruited over them, and they should have no reason to stay.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They attend Kentucky. If they're staying for a second or, in the case of Poythress, third year, it's extremely likely Squid has already recruited over them, and they should have no reason to stay.
But that has nothing to do with DD's draft status. These two staying in school neither helps nor hinders his place in the draft which was the point of your original post.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Poythress is staying in school because he's not a very good basketball player. Hell of an athlete though. Relies on that advantage for most of his production.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Poythress is staying in school because he's not a very good basketball player. Hell of an athlete though. Relies on that advantage for most of his production.
People are gushing over Kentucky's frontcourt next year. I know nothing about the newcomers, but the guys coming back are tall and and athletic and seem to have very little idea what to do on a basketball court. I guess they'll get better, but it's no guarantee.

U

UCONNfan1

At any rate... I recall reading a few posters say that if DD helped us win a NC, they'd be more than ok if he jumped. I realize we have no say over that, but I get the sentiment. Well sure enough DD helped us big time. Loved everything he did in the NCAA's. I hope he (and Bazz) come back, but either way I'm grateful for the pair of them for everything they did for the team this year and if they feel it's in their best interest, or really want to jump, who am I to say "nay"...

Reaction Score
But that has nothing to do with DD's draft status. These two staying in school neither helps nor hinders his place in the draft which was the point of your original post.
I think he is saying that the more players who declare, the more competition for DD to be a high pick, and therefore more likely he'd want to come back

Reaction Score
At any rate... I recall reading a few posters say that if DD helped us win a NC, they'd be more than ok if he jumped. I realize we have no say over that, but I get the sentiment. Well sure enough DD helped us big time. Loved everything he did in the NCAA's. I hope he (and Bazz) come back, but either way I'm grateful for the pair of them for everything they did for the team this year and if they feel it's in their best interest, or really want to jump, who am I to say "nay"...

I doubt Bazz gets that 5th year we are dreaming of (above) BUT wish nothing but the best for all these players and their families.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I think he is saying that the more players who declare, the more competition for DD to be a high pick, and therefore more likely he'd want to come back
Not if the players wouldn't be drafted before DD which neither Poythress or Black would have. That was my point. Me declaring and Poythress and Black declaring would have had the same effect on DD's decision.

Reaction Score

You know, I said before the Final Four that if DD played well enough to leave and it earned us a championship, I'd be completely happy with that trade. But now that we've actually won, I really want him to stay anyway! I won't begrudge him his decision (though I may say that it's a poor one), but at this point I'd much rather he come back, and I'm not going to be shy about that.

Reaction Score
Predictions:
- DD leaves and it's disappointing and a marginally bad decision (drafted 33rd)
- Boat leaves and it's disappointing and an abysmal decision (drafted 55th)

It's only a poor decision if they view it as NBA or bust. I've gotten the sense over the years that Boat wouldn't mind making 6 figures over in Europe next year if that's what it comes down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom