Daniel Hamilton's All Conference likelihood | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton's All Conference likelihood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't seen much discussion about this, but maybe I missed it. As of now, in conference games, he leads the league in rebounding, is 6th in assists, and 19th in scoring. Seems like that should put him in the discussion for 2nd or 3rd team this year if he keeps it up and we can win a couple more games.

Reaction Score
The fact that brimah hamilton and boat can make arguments to be all conference and they still have all those losses is puzzling. speaks to the other pieces not meshing well enough or even playing well enough. Namely of the purvis/calhoun/nolan variety.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Strictly by statsheet.com's player rankings he's 4th in the conference behind boat, Cummings, and Nic Moore. I think he's competitive for first team honors.

Edit: Here's the short list:

RK Team StatGrade number letter
65 Connecticut Ryan Boatright 89.7 B+
80 Temple Will Cummings 89.1 B+
154 Southern-methodist Nic Moore 86.1 B
179 Connecticut Daniel Hamilton 85.5 B
205 Memphis Austin Nichols 85.1 B
230 Tulsa Shaquille Harrison 84.5 B
250 Cincinnati Gary Clark 84.2 B
254 Southern-methodist Yanick Moreira 84.2 B
270 Cincinnati Octavius Ellis 83.9 B
275 Temple Jaylen Bond 83.8 B
286 Tulsa James Woodard 83.6 B
301 Temple Quenton DeCosey 83.3 B

Reaction Score
Strictly by statsheet.com's player rankings he's 4th in the conference behind boat, Cummings, and Nic Moore. I think he's competitive for first team honors.
I have hard time trusting statsheets formula there. Olivier hanlan is ranked higher and isn't having a better season than boat

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have hard time trusting statsheets formula there. Olivier hanlan is ranked higher and isn't having a better season than boat
Yeah I've spotted flaws in it too before, its over-weighted on output vs. efficiency for my liking. Boat's missed some time here and there with in game injuries etc. Still helps as a frame of reference.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought of that as well. It seems like being a freshman, the political aspects of these awards will not work in his favor. I feel like we would have to be a more dominant team for him to get that recognition in his first year, especially since that would give us 2 guys on the first team.

Reaction Score
The fact that brimah hamilton and boat can make arguments to be all conference and they still have all those losses is puzzling. speaks to the other pieces not meshing well enough or even playing well enough. Namely of the purvis/calhoun/nolan variety.

Not really that hard to me, haven't had enough consistent production from Purvis and to a lesser extent Calhoun. The difference in the team's performance when Purvis plays well compared to the games where he's invisible in the scoring column and producing negative plays with the turnovers/missed free throws is night and day. If Purvis was able to be a consistent 12-14ppg guy this team would be positioning for seeding.

Reaction Score
To me it speaks to the fact that we're a really young team and don't do any of the little things that make the difference between winning and losing. If we had shot free throws better, and had a few less completely unforced turnovers each game (i.e. stepping on the sideline, throwing the ball directly out of bounds, dribbling into 3 defenders, etc. ), we would have a decent record and easily be in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Not really that hard to me, haven't had enough consistent production from Purvis and to a lesser extent Calhoun. The difference in the team's performance when Purvis plays well compared to the games where he's invisible in the scoring column and producing negative plays with the turnovers/missed free throws is night and day. If Purvis was able to be a consistent 12-14ppg guy this team would be positioning for seeding.
Yeah. stings more because i was the guy touting purvis to be the 2nd best player.

Hamiltons rebounding is pretty eye popping. I mean, how does his best ability (nose for the ball) go unnoticed by scouts in the aau/cali/camp circuit, where prospects are picked completely apart? how does he get labeled as a volume scorer by most scouting services? My guess is he heard a ton of this criticism and decided to dial down his propensity to jack up shots.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We could conceivably have the conference player of the year, rookie of the year and defensive player of the year. Just not the team of the year.

Reaction Score
Yeah. stings more because i was the guy touting purvis to be the 2nd best player.

Hamiltons rebounding is pretty eye popping. I mean, how does his best ability (nose for the ball) go unnoticed by scouts in the aau/cali/camp circuit, where prospects are picked completely apart? how does he get labeled as a volume scorer by most scouting services? My guess is he heard a ton of this criticism and decided to dial down his propensity to jack up shots.

He averaged 7 assists per game as a junior in HS and 5 as a senior. I always take HS stats with a grain of salt, but it's hard to fake that many. Maybe you can pad by 1 a game - 2 tops - by being generous with your statkeeping, but you have to pass the ball to have them padded.

High school - while certainly not to the level of college - has structure and game plans and things. AAU is largely unstructured with guys sometimes introducing themselves to each other on game days. I'm not saying Goodman, et al, were wrong at what they observed - but they were wrong to categorize him as a particular type of player based on a tiny sample size. He had already committed to us before the summer circuit and was playing in a meaningless tourney. Perhaps he had been working hard on fine-tuning his jump shot in the gym and wanted to get a bunch of shots up to see how his shot felt in game situations. Or perhaps he was in a salty mood with his teammates and froze them out for a day. Who knows? But it was as poorly off as the scouting reports that said Dyson was in the mold of Ray Allen when they were probably as completely different as two shooting guards could be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You could make the same argument about Brimah.

Reaction Score

Joel Francisco of ESPN is one of the better guys to follow for West Coast scouting. He said that up until DHam's summer before his senior year he was basically a point forward type with an all around game, and he got away from that during the summer when he started shot jacking and trying to be more of a scorer. That's when Goodman, Biancardi, Decourcy and Borzello started labeling him as a volume scorer and gunner. Then when Francisco watched him again during his senior year of HS ball he said he had got back to his all around game. Those other guys didn't really watch him in a structured setting(and using that term lightly since HS hoops can still be loose) so their evaluations were based on what he did during the AAU runs while someone like Francisco had a more informed opinion because he watched him year round. As Gurleyman pointed out the assist numbers he put up while playing on his high school squad show what kind of playmaker and distributor he really is.

Reaction Score
Have we ever had a team where at least one player wasn't on an All Conference Team?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P% via espn

28 33.7 14.6 2.3 5.4 1.4 0.0 2.8 .456 .863 .448 - Nic Moore
27 35.3 17.5 4.3 4.1 1.4 0.2 2.4 .431 .837 .417 -Boat

via the american site

SCORING Cl GP FG 3FG FT Points Avg/G
1. BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN
SR 15 81 44 53 259 17.3
2. NICHOLS, Austin-MEM SO 13 88 2 22 200 15.4
3. DABNEY, Louis-TLN JR 15 67 34 51 219 14.6

WOODARD, James-TLS JR 15 67 40 45 219 14.6
5. ALLEN JR., Corey-USF SR 15 76 20 40 212 14.1
6. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 68 40 47 223 13.9

REBOUNDING Cl GP Off Def Total Avg/G
1. HAMILTON, Daniel-UCONN
FR 15 24 118 142 9.5
2. BOND, Jaylen-TEM JR 16 60 85 145 9.1
3. GOODWIN, Shaq-MEM JR 15 43 70 113 7.5

FIELD GOAL PCT Cl GP FG FGA Pct
1. BRIMAH, Amida-UCONN
SO 15 61 83 .735
2. BLAIR, Staphon-UCF JR 16 54 89 .607
3. GOODWIN, Shaq-MEM JR 15 50 88 .568

ASSISTS Cl GP No. Avg/G
1. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 94 5.9
2. ROSE, L.J.-HOU JR 14 72 5.1
3. STARK, Jonathan-TLN SO 15 71 4.7
4. CUMMINGS, Will-TEM SR 15 66 4.4
5. COLLINS, Anthony-USF JR 15 65 4.3
6. HAMILTON, Daniel-UCONN FR 15 61 4.1
7. GOODWIN, Brandon-UCF SO 16 65 4.1
8. BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN SR 15 55 3.7

FREE THROW PCT Cl GP FT FTA Pct
1. BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN SR 15 53 62 .855
2. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 47 56 .839
3. DABNEY, Louis-TLN JR 15 51 61 .836

STEALS Cl GP No. Avg/G
1. CUMMINGS, Will-TEM SR 15 38 2.5
2. HARRISON, Shaquille-TLS JR 15 30 2.0
3. ROBINSON, Antonio-ECU SR 15 26 1.7
4. GOODWIN, Brandon-UCF SO 16 24 1.5
5. CRAWFORD, Markel-MEM FR 15 22 1.5
6. KENNEDY, Markus-SMU JR 16 23 1.4

BOND, Jaylen-TEM JR 16 23 1.4
8. COLLINS, Anthony-USF JR 15 21 1.4
9. ALLEN JR., Corey-USF SR 15 20 1.3

CLARK, Gary-CIN FR 15 20 1.3

CAUPAIN, Troy-CIN SO 15 20 1.3
12. COBB, Farad-CIN JR 15 19 1.3

BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN SR 15 19 1.3

STARK, Jonathan-TLN SO 15 19 1.3
15. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 20 1.3

3-POINT FG PCT Cl GP 3FG 3FGA Pct
1. CAUPAIN, Troy-CIN SO 15 18 37 .486
2. BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN SR 15 44 98 .449
3. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 40 91 .440

BLOCKED SHOTS Cl GP No. Avg/G
1. BRIMAH, Amida-UCONN
SO 15 57 3.8
2. NICHOLS, Austin-MEM SO 13 47 3.6
3. ELLIS, Octavius-CIN JR 15 30 2.0

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO Cl GP Assists Avg T-Overs Avg Ratio
1. MOORE, Nic-SMU JR 16 94 5.9 40 2.5 2.4
2. CUMMINGS, Will-TEM SR 15 66 4.4 30 2.0 2.2
3. ROBINSON, Antonio-ECU SR 15 53 3.5 25 1.7 2.1
4. STARK, Jonathan-TLN SO 15 71 4.7 36 2.4 2.0
5. ROSE, L.J.-HOU JR 14 72 5.1 38 2.7 1.9
6. BOATRIGHT, Ryan-UCONN SR 15 55 3.7 30 2.0 1.8

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS Cl GP No. Avg/G
1. BOND, Jaylen-TEM JR 16 60 3.8
2. GOODWIN, Shaq-MEM JR 15 43 2.9
3. GUERRERO, Ruben-USF
15 41 2.7
4. DRYE, Tre-TLN SR 15 40 2.7
5. MOREIRA, Yanick-SMU SR 16 41 2.6
6. ELLIS, Octavius-CIN JR 15 38 2.5
7. BRIMAH, Amida-UCONN SO 15 37 2.5

DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS Cl GP No. Avg/G
1. HAMILTON, Daniel-UCONN FR 15 118 7.9
2. BOND, Jaylen-TEM JR 16 85 5.3
3. SMITH, Rashad-TLS JR 15 74 4.9

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
You could make the same argument about Brimah.
Yes, you can but Brimah is new to the game. Purvis, with a year under Ollie and a freshman year under his laces, should have been smarted and more aware of his weaknesses. It is not that he is a lousy shooter, he is a streak shooter. Teams can live with that, guys have built careers with that. It is his mistakes that have killed this team, not his shooting. Purvis has yet to realize that every possesion is important,
that every free throw bricked is a possession wasted.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes, you can but Brimah is new to the game. Purvis, with a year under Ollie and a freshman year under his laces, should have been smarted and more aware of his weaknesses. It is not that he is a lousy shooter, he is a streak shooter. Teams can live with that, guys have built careers with that. It is his mistakes that have killed this team, not his shooting. Purvis has yet to realize that every possesion is important,
Two different points. I'm not arguing about where I believe each player should be at this stage of their careers. AB's trajectory has been remarkable relative to his experience. I was making the statement to aceboon that AB's inconstancy (poor play) was just as much a factor in the losses as was Rodney's.

Unless anyone can state AB played well in all of the losses, I don't think it's correct to eliminate his poor performance as a contributor to the loss. If someone made the statement only about AB I would suggest Rodney's inconstancy contributed to those losses.

And if you factor mistakes as the main problem, the argument I think you are making, then DHam should be included in the discussion because he's had a load of turnovers plus mistakes on the defensive end. If you want to asterisk his mistakes as being less consequential because he's a freshmen I understand what this means. It means that he more likely, although not definitely, to be the player to fix them in the future. But regarding past game all mistakes factor into a loss even if we feel the need to make excuses for them.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Playing in practice is not even close to the same as playing in a game. His freshman year was rough and lost playing time towards the end. This year had been a learning experience for him and everyone. Ollie will have all his flaws listed, go over them with him, and have him work on them in the offseason

Reaction Score
see ben hansborough over kemba

Yeah that was a farce because UConn went 9-9 in the Big East and the voters didn't want to give it to someone who was on a middling team (hindsight oops). But Walker was so much better than Hansborough, they should have made an exception to the conventional wisdom. Boatright may have played slightly better this year, but it's not the same gap as Walker/Hansborough and I'm not sure it's enough to overcome the intangible success of SMU, even to me.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Yeah that was a farce because UConn went 9-9 in the Big East and the voters didn't want to give it to someone who was on a middling team (hindsight oops). But Walker was so much better than Hansborough, they should have made an exception to the conventional wisdom. Boatright may have played slightly better this year, but it's not the same gap as Walker/Hansborough and I'm not sure it's enough to overcome the intangible success of SMU, even to me.
Didn't stop the coaches from giving it to Napier last year with what could be the same conference record of 12-6 if they win out.

Reaction Score
Nic Moore is gonna win CPOY and it disgusts me.

What is disgusting about it? Nic Moore is having an outstanding season and SMU has performed substantially better than us. If they win the game today I would give it to him as well. Things get a little hazy if we win out the regular season but I this point Boat faces an uphill battle. I don't think it is even close to the Kemba BH comparison.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What is disgusting about it? Nic Moore is having an outstanding season and SMU has performed substantially better than us. If they win the game today I would give it to him as well. Things get a little hazy if we win out the regular season but I this point Boat faces an uphill battle. I don't think it is even close to the Kemba BH comparison.

My guess is it's disgusting because he doesn't wear a UCONN uniform/comes from a former CUSA school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom