Dangerfield commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
at least had them very high on her list. I just think it's ridiculous to try to draw some conclusion based on one recruit that the Lady Vol influence is diminishing. For the record, there are many people throughout the state of Tennessee that do not UT. This is also true in all states that there are some that simply don't like their state schools.

One last thing. Tennessee is very divided. West TN, Middle TN, and East TN are the divides with Knoxville being East, Nashville being middle, and Memphis being west. They don't even have the same news coverage. West TN residents have a strong allegiance with the University of Memphis and many do not like UT. Middle TN residents tend to have a stronger allegiance with MTSU, Vandy, and the other Nashville area colleges and many do not like UT. East TN residents are pretty much all in for UT. Unless you live in the state of TN, you will not understand the divide, but it definitely exists

Living in NC, I understand TN pretty well. On my drive to Memphis last year.... I saw a ton of Vol and that Checkerboard..bumper stickers... car tags... etc.... as soon as i crossed the state line. I always get gas in Crossville... and in the gas stations you see a ton of Vol stuff for sale. Once you get to around Cookeville through the TN River crossing...... the Vol stickers decrease.... I never notice many Vandy or MTSU stickers... but Im sure there are a bunch. I rarely see many Vol stuff when im in Memphis. Definitely U of Memphis stuff.... but alot of Ole Miss things as well.

As an outsider.. I tend to see Western TN, Mississippi, and East Arkansas as similar.... and I tend to put East TN with Kentucky, SW VA, and WV. Even though they share some similarities, Western NC and Eastern TN have different feel to me.

East TN has better scenery but worst drivers, West TN has better food and better looking women. :D

Reaction Score
No one has pointed out that UConn will have yet another CD. The Boneyard is slipping up ...

Will Ms. Dangerfield be Crystal Dangerfield?
CD III?
CD The Even Younger?
Who is CD #2?

Reaction Score
What.... a player from Tenn!!! No! No! it's just a plot by the Sum_ _ _ _..... to get a spy into Geno's camp!!!! Nooooooo..........:)

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
"She is Auriemma’s first recruit from the state of Tennessee."

NEWS FLASH!!

State of Tennessee has been put on suicide watch....more at 11.....

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure, if you are a Vol fan, that's one of the signs of the apocalypse.

They've had more than enough signs: 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013.

I believe Nashville 2014 was indeed the Orange apocalypse.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is a badge of honor.
In fairness, as much as I hate Tennessee, and I really really do, I'm also capable (I think) of giving credit where it's due, etc. In the thread on "who's your top 10", I put them at #3 preseason mainly because even tho they lost Simmons to graduation and Russell to injury, I think what they bring back is stronger than most teams in the nation. I still think it's UCONN and ND and then everyone else, but on paper Tennessee has the talent to make it to the final 4.

My point to the Tennessee poster, however, was s/he seemed to be intimating that the reason UCONN landed Dangerfield was because Cooper chose Tennessee, and by implication, that had Cooper gone elsewhere, Tennessee would have landed Dangerfield. It made it sound a tiny bit like UCONN was 2nd choice for Crystal and that we got the "scraps" because Tennessee already has an elite PG on their roster.

Perhaps I read a tad too much into the posts, but I really do try to put on my "objective hat" when dealing with Tennessee fans (and take off my "I hate orange" hat!)... ;)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
So what if she's from Tennessee. If Geno and CD want her, I want her.... That's good enough for me (and apparently, for her).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Perhaps I read a tad too much into the posts, but I really do try to put on my "objective hat" when dealing with Tennessee fans (and take off my "I hate orange" hat!)... ;)
Never. Not after the treatment you and I received there among others.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, I just took a short tour through VolNation, and the consensus among the LV faithful seems to be that them grapes were prolly sour anyway; they have Cooper and what more could you ask for and besides it was fear of having to play behind Cooper that caused Crystal Dangerfield to not climb Rocky Top. (Truth to tell, there were a couple of dissenters who pointed out what a load of rubbish that is. There ARE some sensible LV fans. I have always said that it is only the lunatic fringe over yonder that gives the other ten per cent a bad name.) :cool:

Reaction Score
It's all part of my grand megalomaniacal plan to take over the cosmos... have another double fudge sugar cookie my masked friend...

Boo

BOO: damn, I knew I liked you. And now this: megalomaniacs are among my favorites as are jarheads with a sense of humor. Stay well.

Reaction Score
"She is Auriemma’s first recruit from the state of Tennessee."

NEWS FLASH!!

State of Tennessee has been put on suicide watch....more at 11.....

AB: good stuff. Will hope to tune in at 11.

Reaction Score
So are really saying that elite players don't pay attention to where other elite players are going? Especially when they play the same position? That's how it is anywhere and for ANY sport might I add. And of course she eliminated TN because she wasn't interested. Just like Durr eliminated UCONN and TN because she wasn't interested. Don't see the controversy in my comments.
Elite players are elite players because they fear no one. They want to and need to compete! They make decisions on where to matriculate based on the educational considerations, the facilities, the exposure, etc. and not who they may have to compete with for playing time. I'm saying your view is tainted because you don't know what it means to think like an elite athlete would.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In fairness, as much as I hate Tennessee, and I really really do, I'm also capable (I think) of giving credit where it's due, etc. In the thread on "who's your top 10", I put them at #3 preseason mainly because even tho they lost Simmons to graduation and Russell to injury, I think what they bring back is stronger than most teams in the nation. I still think it's UCONN and ND and then everyone else, but on paper Tennessee has the talent to make it to the final 4.

My point to the Tennessee poster, however, was s/he seemed to be intimating that the reason UCONN landed Dangerfield was because Cooper chose Tennessee, and by implication, that had Cooper gone elsewhere, Tennessee would have landed Dangerfield. It made it sound a tiny bit like UCONN was 2nd choice for Crystal and that we got the "scraps" because Tennessee already has an elite PG on their roster.

I think the point was similar to a general feeling with Durr's choice. TN in 2016 will have 7 guard/wings on their roster already including one in the immediate class before her. Durr would have arrived at Uconn with 6 guard/wings including four in the immediate class before her.

Nothing about second choices or not being confident enough to compete - more just a crowded backcourt.

Reaction Score

Dangerfield never felt any pressure to commit early, Lady Blaze coach Chad Hibdon said.

“There was never any pressure for her to commit,” Hibdon said. “Over the last three or four months she’s been narrowing down her choices.

“I think she wanted to do it after the season at some point. But as things played out and as the recruiting maturation went on with other people signing people, she narrowed it down to two or three schools. She was comfortable with things. And Connecticut was her last place that she was taking a visit.”

I think that pretty much proves my point from earlier. People signing elsewhere narrowed her choices, which is a natural and common thing. I hope she has a great career and wish her all the best.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/10/19/dangerfield-commits-connecticut/17591049/
[/QUOTE]
Her decision may have had more to do on the possibility that if another point guard had committed earlier, she may have lost the opportunity to play in Storrs for the best coach in the game, Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Elite players are elite players because they fear no one. They want to and need to compete! They make decisions on where to matriculate based on the educational considerations, the facilities, the exposure, etc. and not who they may have to compete with for playing time. I'm saying your view is tainted because you don't know what it means to think like an elite athlete would.
One aspect of choice is also team spirit - and if you chose a team with a lot of players in competition for the same position while you might be the best, it may not be the healthiest situation for the team - competition can be healthy and fun, or it can fester and turn nasty - with all of the other question marks already inherent in choosing a college why add another. And what does it say about the coaches plan for a team if the are constant recruiting on top of previous recruits each year

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if when she arrives and if she's nearly as quick as she appears to be, maybe even Moriah quick, that when she's heading up court at full speed, they may refer to her as Crystal Gale, as like a "gale wind"? I know, pretty sick! What can I say!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, Buzz, you COULD say that you are sorry for making such a lame joke. :cool: I think she is destined to be known around these parts as Crystal Dangerfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom