Dangerfield commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A simple request; could we please, please let Rodney sleep in peace?
The only down side of Crystal committing so early are the six plus years of awful Rodney Dangerfield puns and not so funny wordplay with her name. I guess we'll just have to live with them till 2020!

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
The only down side of Crystal committing so early are the six plus years of awful Rodney Dangerfield puns and not so funny wordplay with her name. I guess we'll just have to live with them till 2020!
Have another blunt... it will lighten your mood.

Boo

Reaction Score
Welcome Crystal believe me you are going to get a lot of respect.

Yup. It takes a lot of courage for a kid to go far away from home to college but for her to leave Tennessee for Connecticut- that my friends is truly gutsy!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So are really saying that elite players don't pay attention to where other elite players are going? Especially when they play the same position? That's how it is anywhere and for ANY sport might I add. And of course she eliminated TN because she wasn't interested. Just like Durr eliminated UCONN and TN because she wasn't interested. Don't see the controversy in my comments.

I don't remember Dangerfield having Tenn on her list of schools, so imo it doesn't really matter who Tenn had or gets she most likely wasn't going there anyway. The fact that MoJeff was her idol had a lot to do with her wanting to come to UConn and really there weren't any other schools that really mattered.

As far as Durr goes. She said she wanted to come to UConn. When Geno accepted the verbals from this years class of which 3 were very good guards, she and her family were taken back. UConn talked to the Durrs but with Nurse on the upcoming roster they decided it would be better to go elsewhere. Was it to much competition or to many guards to jump over, or would it be a lack of playtime? Im sure all of the above influenced their decision. Now imo Durr went to LVille because she saw so many top players and thought her playtime may be limited. Do I think it had something to do with UConn having 3 guards commit. I think it had something to do with that.

Many top players wont come to a school where they see they may have to share time with other players. However I have always felt if you a top player you can play anywhere. To play with the best, for the best only makes you the best you can be. If you don't feel that way then its best for you to go where you can be the star. Coming to UConn you can be the star amongst stars. That is the difference.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The reason why Dangerfield picked UConn is moot, and not really what is generating all the verbal hubbub. To me, the true issue is that a top recruit from the State of Tennessee has committed to UConn. It's another upsetting sign of the Lady Vols diminishing influence in the world of women's basketball.

Actually, it's not a sign of anything with regards to the Lady Vols program or influence. No top recruit is going to sign on the following year behind another top player at the same position, especially pure point guards. When Sims was at Baylor, no other pure point guard near her class year was going to go there. When Ariel came to TN, no other pure point guard was going to follow her the next year. When Diggins went to ND, no other elite point guard was going to follow her. Pure point guards are like quarterbacks. They will scratch teams from consideration if that team lands another top player prior to them that's close in age (class).

If TN had not signed Cooper and was not so guard heavy, then you might be on to something, but that's not the case. These young ladies all know each other well and they all watch to see where the other one lands. Now, this doesn't mean she would not have chosen UConn regardless of the situation. She seems like she's always wanted to play for UConn or at least had them very high on her list. I just think it's ridiculous to try to draw some conclusion based on one recruit that the Lady Vol influence is diminishing. For the record, there are many people throughout the state of Tennessee that do not UT. This is also true in all states that there are some that simply don't like their state schools.

One last thing. Tennessee is very divided. West TN, Middle TN, and East TN are the divides with Knoxville being East, Nashville being middle, and Memphis being west. They don't even have the same news coverage. West TN residents have a strong allegiance with the University of Memphis and many do not like UT. Middle TN residents tend to have a stronger allegiance with MTSU, Vandy, and the other Nashville area colleges and many do not like UT. East TN residents are pretty much all in for UT. Unless you live in the state of TN, you will not understand the divide, but it definitely exists.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's painful to look at this future roster that does not include the names of kids whose play and persona I have grown to love (KML, Moriah, Stewie). I'm still struggling with the reality of NO #14 and NO # 31 lighting up Gampel this year. :( I will miss their incredible passion. Great kids, grow on you, become kinda yours. But I managed to survive the loss of Kelly. It's perhaps the only downside of becoming so fervently invested in UConn WBB.

I still miss Diana. Always will.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
True. Any guy who died the way he did deserves peace...

He was so depressed that he decided to jump from the tenth floor of his luxury condo building. They sent up a priest. He said " on your mark ."

Pulled off a triple Lindy on the way down though...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
College recruiting for coaches and players is fraught with pitfalls:
For coaches like Geno who try to recruit a 'team' and not overstock at any position it can be tempting to look a few years in advance and choose not to pursue player A because the following year you think you are the front runner for player B who is phenomenal and plays the same position. And then player B (a 16-17 year old) for whatever reason decides to go somewhere else and you have a hole in your roster and an undermanned team. It has happened like that before.
For a player you are trying to evaluate coaches and potential teammates and locations and family and friends and sort through a lot of salesmanship to get at the truth of a number of college situations. And it is a constantly changing universe with coaches changing schools, new players being added to teams, etc.
And neither coaches or players have a real handle on what the experience will really be like should they commit to each other. Generally it works out pretty well, but not always as expected.

So ... Yes - a class of four guard/wings in the preceding class will definitely influence a guard/wing's choice of school no matter how talented the player or how good a relationship with a coach or how good that coach's reputation. And a coach looking at an uncommitted player a year or two away from making a commitment may think about limiting his recruiting of current players at that players position, but will probably still offer players he really likes because of the old 'bird in the hand ...'

I suspect that had the sequence of commitments been different with this current class at Uconn, the class might not be 4 guard/wings. Nurse came on the scene late and Uconn got involved very late in the process. She has a pretty exceptional resume for a HS player and was too good to pass up. And I think Durr made a pretty good decision as well. Her freshman year had she come to Uconn would have included 6 guard/wing players in classes ahead of her. She might have been the most talented or in the top three, but she would have been the least experienced. And just on a numbers basis, her position coach would be spreading her attention amongst 7 players. (There is a reason parents look at teacher/pupil ratios in evaluating schools.)

And you can look at recruiting following large highly ranked classes at a lot of schools and see a definite pattern of pretty limited classes in the following year(s). Some of that is coaches balancing their teams and some of it is recruits recognizing overcrowded teams.

Interesting situation at Uconn the last few classes as unlike typical big classes the last two have been position centric - 4 guard/wings followed by 3 forwards. Throw in a transfer center to the guard/wings class for added spice. And this following a one guard class that has swelled to two with a redshirt forward.
Most people are expecting 2-3 players in 2016 and that seems sensible - one guard on board, a center hoped for, and maybe one other. I find the number of players in the 'being recruited' universe to be surprisingly large with what appears to be pretty limited spots. Perhaps with this commitment there will be a pulling back from a few on the list?

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Every UCONN story is the lead story on ESPN. :p
I'm old enough to remember a time when every TN story is the lead story on ESPN. Progress!!!

(just tickling you a bit LV9... I really do enjoy reading your take on the women's Bball world.)

Boo

Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember a time when every TN story is the lead story on ESPN. Progress!!!

(just tickling you a bit LV9... I really do enjoy reading your take on the women's Bball world.)

Boo
Ha. Ha. I am ticklish too. :p I enjoy your posts too bud!

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I still miss Diana. Always will.

Then are you watching the Mercury? She fills pretty much the same role, shows the same attitude (but expresses it more sans Geno's rules of decorum) and achieves similar results.

Takes some of the sting out.

But you only have a few more years.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No one has pointed out that UConn will have yet another CD. The Boneyard is slipping up ...

Will Ms. Dangerfield be Crystal Dangerfield?
CD III?
CD The Even Younger?

Mo' CD

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Boo
Ha. Ha. I am ticklish too. :p I enjoy your posts too bud!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please stop, y'all. You are aggravating my diabetes.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
It's all part of my grand megalomaniacal plan to take over the cosmos... have another double fudge sugar cookie my masked friend...

Boo

Reaction Score
Actually, it's not a sign of anything with regards to the Lady Vols program or influence. No top recruit is going to sign on the following year behind another top player at the same position, especially pure point guards. When Sims was at Baylor, no other pure point guard near her class year was going to go there. When Ariel came to TN, no other pure point guard was going to follow her the next year. When Diggins went to ND, no other elite point guard was going to follow her. Pure point guards are like quarterbacks. They will scratch teams from consideration if that team lands another top player prior to them that's close in age (class).

If TN had not signed Cooper and was not so guard heavy, then you might be on to something, but that's not the case. These young ladies all know each other well and they all watch to see where the other one lands. Now, this doesn't mean she would not have chosen UConn regardless of the situation. She seems like she's always wanted to play for UConn or at least had them very high on her list. I just think it's ridiculous to try to draw some conclusion based on one recruit that the Lady Vol influence is diminishing. For the record, there are many people throughout the state of Tennessee that do not UT. This is also true in all states that there are some that simply don't like their state schools.

One last thing. Tennessee is very divided. West TN, Middle TN, and East TN are the divides with Knoxville being East, Nashville being middle, and Memphis being west. They don't even have the same news coverage. West TN residents have a strong allegiance with the University of Memphis and many do not like UT. Middle TN residents tend to have a stronger allegiance with MTSU, Vandy, and the other Nashville area colleges and many do not like UT. East TN residents are pretty much all in for UT. Unless you live in the state of TN, you will not understand the divide, but it definitely exists.

I tend to agree. To draw any conclusion about the Lady Vols program because of one of the better players in TN commit to another school is ludicrous. CD committed to UConn because she likes UConn and UConn players (MoJeff) and staff. That's all there is to it. I do not understand the Pat Summit's hatred for Geno and UConn and her wanting to destroy what had been a very good competition for both programs. From what I can gather, Muffet from ND did not much care for Geno either, something about lack of respect, but ND and UConn have continue their games.

Reaction Score
Every UCONN story is the lead story on ESPN. :p

Wish it'a true. If you really want to know, ESPN employees forget they are in Bristol, CT. I feel, may be, wrongly, the UConn got very little coverage from ESPN, except when we won championships. I remember in the last men's NCAA tournament they were either ignoring UConn and trash UConn as underdog. That's why we are DOOMED!!!

JS

Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she watched the way Tennessee plays the game and simply said "thanks but no thanks"...
No wonder they hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger