Daily Campus with the ULTIMATE TEASE | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus with the ULTIMATE TEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The interesting thing regarding that tease is that it may have been the brainchild of the administration rather than the editor or a writer. Was it yet another clue that all will be ok? I like to think it may have been and I like to think President Herbst had something to do with it. No idea, but I think it qualifies as smoke. Overshadowing the lady's title with it seems cheap unless it was a little deeper than that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm always down for a good conspiracy theory, but suggesting that a student newspaper has Jim Delany's ear is even a bit far-fetched for me.

pj

Reaction Score
If they won't leak to the Boneyard, why would they leak to the Daily Campus? Wait ... somebody leaked to Skiblets!

Reaction Score
It's hilarious what qualifies as crazy talk around here. It's all relative to your perspective of things. To me, the idea that the administration would have something to do with the daily campus headline isn't crazy, although it certainly is kind of far-fetched. However, the motivation for it would be to keep the fan base involved and positive as they try to sell season tickets and solicit donations. The reality is, leaks and hints are not uncommon in big business matters. There are always leaks about new car models, cell phones and significant political issues.

I think Herbst has been clearly dropping B1G hints for years in her speeches and once we are invited, it will be a lot easier for people to believe their ears. If you don't think she is dropping hints, what is she doing? The idea that her speeches are to impress Delany is just as dumb as thinking she may have prompted a fun headline.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you are trying to sell season tickets and solicit donations through leaks on the Big 10 - would there be a worse vehicle than the campus newspaper?

Her speeches aren't for Delany, they are for us - and keeping people on the hook while they buy time is as realistic if not more realistic explanation than the idea she is planting easter eggs for a few hundred people to kick around.

Reaction Score
Exactly. However, I'd argue that the Daily Campus and a quote from a speech she makes somewhere talking about research and flagships have similar size audiences. The mere fact that there is a thread here regarding the Daily Campus headline demonstrates that every possible clue gets people talking. At the same time, those clues can't be so outwardly forward that they qualify as blowing the secret.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst had absolutely nothing to do with writing that Daily Campus headline. You can bet your life on that.

Reaction Score
Exactly. However, I'd argue that the Daily Campus and a quote from a speech she makes somewhere talking about research and flagships have similar size audiences. The mere fact that there is a thread here regarding the Daily Campus headline demonstrates that every possible clue gets people talking. At the same time, those clues can't be so outwardly forward that they qualify as blowing the secret.
What if there is no secret? What if, these thoughts/communications are hints and subtlety with the idea of people connecting the dots even though there really is no "B1G" Picture? I am not going to read into ones possible motives its like looking at Rorschach pictures. No one here really knows what is going on. I get the frustration but that is the reality. It is my belief that any P5 conference making a real offer would be accepted by UConn. Does that mean I know something? Nope! If I hear a conversation and think well let me tease what I heard to the masses that it is real? Nope, because you don't know the motivation behind those that stated these thoughts. You don't know if it was meant to motivate ticket sales, garner a laugh at the expense of someone looking to buy the bridge to nowhere, or if it is our Dream come true. Anyone proposing to know differently has not yet come forward with actual hard evidence worthy of standing up to scrutiny. This is the reality of our situation - this is pretty OBVIOUS to me.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst had absolutely nothing to do with writing that Daily Campus headline. You can bet your life on that.

The presentation is creative and clever and there is probably no sub-text or anything subliminal attached. I have one (real, not wise-assed) question.

I realize that college administrations and faculty typically give campus papers huge latitude related to free expression. So, given the touchy nature of the CR environment, would something like the Headline in question be considered sufficiently controversial to require some sort of outside review?

My question is the result of me not knowing if the subject is really "touchy" or "controversial" and, further, me having no idea how these things are handled; or if they even require handling.

Reaction Score
Butch if UConn rejected an invite to the ACC the campus and state capitol would be burned to the ground.
The smart people at the very top wouldn't let us know that, would they?

Either way, it doesn't matter now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The smart people at the very top wouldn't let us know that, would they?

Either way, it doesn't matter now.

Did HFD tell you that UConn turned down the ACC? You believed him?

Reaction Score
I'm always down for a good conspiracy theory, but suggesting that a student newspaper has Jim Delany's ear is even a bit far-fetched for me.
I am sure he saw it by now. Not saying it'll do much. But I am sure he digs the cover.

Reaction Score
Did HFD tell you that UConn turned down the ACC? You believed him?
Dude, I don't associate with him. Nor did I say UConn DID turn down the ACC. I said I wouldn't be surprised. You need to work on comprehension skills.

Actually, I never even said UConn did anything regarding the ACC. I said Delany. Put down the damn bottle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude, I don't associate with him. Nor did I say UConn DID turn down the ACC. I said I wouldn't be surprised. You need to work on comprehension skills.

Actually, I never even said UConn did anything regarding the ACC. I said Delany. Put down the damn bottle.

You wouldn't be surprised if UConn turned down The Atlantic Coast Conference.

This wouldn't surprise you?

Maybe the bottle isn't that bad.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't be surprised if UConn turned down The Atlantic Coast Conference.

This wouldn't surprise you?

Maybe the bottle isn't that bad.
Go back to Page 1 and read what I said. I said Delany, not UConn. You drink absinthe?

Back when Louisville was invited, we were in the "unlikely, but you never know" stage. So honestly, I can't see why UConn would have turned the ACC invite down then. Which is why I mentioned Delany. :rolleyes:

You need new hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69