'Cuse loses coach for 9 games, 12 scholership years, NCAA money... | The Boneyard

'Cuse loses coach for 9 games, 12 scholership years, NCAA money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
OUCH...

The NCAA, in a news release, criticized Boeheim not keeping control of his program.

"During the 10-year period of violations, the head basketball coach did not promote an atmosphere of compliance within his program and did not monitor the activities of those who reported to him as they related to academics and booster involvement," the release said.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A personal fav is where the athletic director told the head coach to go ahead and ignore the rules on reporting positive drug tests.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Why am I not surprised. My brother-in-law, who attended Syracuse, told us back in the early 80's how the bb program was rigged for the players.

And I agree that UCONN being left out of the realignment had nothing to do with any NCAA sanctions.

Reaction Score
More of a penalty than I expected, less than I hoped, primarily with respect to a ban the following year and not just a ban this year when they are unlikely to make the NCAA anyway.

What hurts is if the NCAA jumped on this earlier around '06 or so instead of letting it slide, may have hurt Syracuse's chances getting into the ACC.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A personal fav is where the athletic director told the head coach to go ahead and ignore the rules on reporting positive drug tests.

Syracuse needs to clean house, but I don't think they have the courage to do that and will let this fester. Couldn't have happened to a nicer school. ESPN must be flipping out since half of their commentators come from the Cuse

Reaction Score
If I know anything at all about CR, and I believe that I do, I could see a scenario play out where FSU, Miami, perhaps a couple others move on to the Big 12/SEC. We get sucked into the growing mess known as the ACC. The ACC becomes the turnstile of college programs similar to the old Big East. All I know is if what took place at SU or UNC happened at UCONN, UCONN would be banished forever. Somehow these two frauds will survive nicely.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. It is a black eye for the Cuse and the ACC. And who knows what would happen to the UNC program.

It still doesn't overcome the legitimate idea of a major conference covering mostly Eastern states (yes, I know Kentucky isn't really East, let's not get too hanged up on semantics).

Reaction Score
If I know anything at all about CR, and I believe that I do, I could see a scenario play out where FSU, Miami, perhaps a couple others move on to the Big 12/SEC..

Wow. In about 2 weeks we've managed to go from "GoR Almighty " to "The Great Escape".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. In about 2 weeks we've managed to go from "GoR Almighty " to "The Great Escape".
I go under the assumption that only one of the Big 12 and ACC survive.

Reaction Score

Looking at my post now it looks like I was singling you out. My intention was to point out how in general the interwebs have accepted that stuff could happen with the ACC.

Reaction Score
From a Clemson blog: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...cc-may-be-commissioner-john-swoffords-biggest

"So now an already mediocre football program with a poor coach is on probation for five years and will continue to struggle to be competitive. The basketball program which by all accounts is a big deal in New York and was likely the program the ACC was most interested in adding, will be decimated. They lose their star player next season (Rakeem Christmas) and will start bleeding scholarships. What star recruit will want to commit to the snowstorms of Syracuse without the March Madness that always came when the snow melted. Additionally, Jim Boeheim is suspended for the next nine ACC games and at age 70 will he just retire soon, as the ship is sinking?

So the football program that is struggling and trending downward, the basketball program that is entering a long phase of sanctions and a new coach, and there's no baseball program... It looks a lot like Swofford added nothing of value, but spread the conference money just a bit thinner. I'm appreciating Wake Forest more every day!"

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Agree. It might not happen overnight, but it will happen. The way that the B12 has been operating, my bet would be that they would crumble first. There are less jewels in that conference than the ACC. Really, once you get outside of the Texas/OU/KU trio, it's just a bunch of schools riding coattails. If the ACC were to fold, there are at least 6-8 schools that could reasonably find homes in the B1G or SEC.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
From a Clemson blog: http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...cc-may-be-commissioner-john-swoffords-biggest

"So now an already mediocre football program with a poor coach is on probation for five years and will continue to struggle to be competitive. The basketball program which by all accounts is a big deal in New York and was likely the program the ACC was most interested in adding, will be decimated. They lose their star player next season (Rakeem Christmas) and will start bleeding scholarships. What star recruit will want to commit to the snowstorms of Syracuse without the March Madness that always came when the snow melted. Additionally, Jim Boeheim is suspended for the next nine ACC games and at age 70 will he just retire soon, as the ship is sinking?

So the football program that is struggling and trending downward, the basketball program that is entering a long phase of sanctions and a new coach, and there's no baseball program... It looks a lot like Swofford added nothing of value, but spread the conference money just a bit thinner. I'm appreciating Wake Forest more every day!"

Buyer's remorse settling in. Reap what you sow. Oh and as for their basketball team, after seeing some of the teams that got into the tourney, I think they were snubbed this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom