CryptoWall VIRUS? | The Boneyard

CryptoWall VIRUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how to get ride of the CryptoWall virus manually or the best program to fix it. most of my files will not open.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you have a backup you can restore to? (Do not do it yet.)

Be aware that there's an excellent chance those files are gone forever.

Reaction Score
Do you have a backup you can restore to? (Do not do it yet.)

Be aware that there's an excellent chance those files are gone forever.

Yes, I found out even if you take the virus out of your computer there's a good chance your file are gone (All my video file are fine). Thank god I backed up most my files to a external Hard drive that was not plugged into to my CPU. So now I am just going to wipe out my drive and reinstall from my recover disc I made when I bought this computer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, I found out even if you take the virus out of your computer there's a good chance your file are gone (All my video file are fine). Thank god I backed up most my files to a external Hard drive that was not plugged into to my CPU. So now I am just going to wipe out my drive and reinstall from my recover disc I made when I bought this computer.

Give this a read - you may have some other options.

I think you will have to 'clean' the computer before going to the backup, but do read the article.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let me know how you make out - curious to see what happens.

Reaction Score
Yes, I used Barracuda Malware remover to get ride of the virus, but still lost all my files (did not effect my video file) thank god had all my kids sports video for their games on there. So I moved those to a external hard drive and ran the barracuda in my D drive that was clean. Then I did a Start from Factory settings and everything is fine now. also I now will backup all my files in a external hard drive and remove it from my computer when not in use.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's a nasty, nasty virus. Im a network admin for a pharmaceutical company, a QC employee got a drive by from browsing FDA documents online!

It encrypted the entire contents of a shared scan folder on an open permission mapped drive that all users use to scan documents into. Luckily All other drivers were locked down, and obviously in running a business I have great back up strategies and restore times, so I just restored the drive.

Getting rid of the virus was another headache. I could take the users machine out of play immediately which is always the thing to do, but when I cleaned it off line and I have many more powerful tools than barracuda malware (which I like, btw) the machine scanned clean multiple times but I noticed things really chugging in the background still Disk I/O was very high and would catch random attempted ping back to a remote server

I would recommend reformatting and restoring computer, provided that you have all your files (as you said you did) on an external drive.

Reaction Score
Yes August, I have not had any issue with the back to Factory settings, but I do recommend to unplug your external hard drive when not in use. Thank you for your post I hope people read this and takes precaution from the virus, because like you said it is nasty!
"PRECAUTION EVERYONE"

BACK UP YOUR FILES TO A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AND KEEP IT UNPLUGGED FROM YOUR COMPUTER WHEN NOT IN USE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom