Criteria of a Great Team is ... | The Boneyard

Criteria of a Great Team is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Just finished reading articles that Nan puts up everyday--I am thankful for that. Several posters put up videos and obscure articles from around the country --I am thankful for that.
Certain tidbits pop out of these articles that start me percolating. Maybe you got fired up too when you read or heard Stewie's score line - 25 pts, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, and 4 blocks--give or take. Wow! That's what the UConn magic is. Learn to do more each year. I know, other teams try to do the same thing, but it seems UConn gets it done. So I decided to look at the complete score line of the Kansas State game. WHAT IS THE CRITERIA OF A GREAT TEAM? Having multiple team members have a solid score line.
Simple rubric - points - rebounds - assists - steals - blocks.
Stewie had all 5 covered nicely. That's why she is the best! What pleasantly surprised me (just a little) was that 5 other UConn players (yes, bench players too) had 4 of the 5 criteria covered.
MO, Tuck, Nurse, Collier, & Lou all had some --pts, rebounds, assists, & steals. Funny that Gabby only (yea only) had 3 covered - with a double-double and 4 steals or so.
So, that is my objective look at describing a Great Team. Almost everyone, even bench players, can fill the score line in 4 areas. WOW!

Reaction Score
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Just finished reading articles that Nan puts up everyday--I am thankful for that. Several posters put up videos and obscure articles from around the country --I am thankful for that.
Certain tidbits pop out of these articles that start me percolating. Maybe you got fired up too when you read or heard Stewie's score line - 25 pts, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, and 4 blocks--give or take. Wow! That's what the UConn magic is. Learn to do more each year. I know, other teams try to do the same thing, but it seems UConn gets it done. So I decided to look at the complete score line of the Kansas State game. WHAT IS THE CRITERIA OF A GREAT TEAM? Having multiple team members have a solid score line.
Simple rubric - points - rebounds - assists - steals - blocks.
Stewie had all 5 covered nicely. That's why she is the best! What pleasantly surprised me (just a little) was that 5 other UConn players (yes, bench players too) had 4 of the 5 criteria covered.
MO, Tuck, Nurse, Collier, & Lou all had some --pts, rebounds, assists, & steals. Funny that Gabby only (yea only) had 3 covered - with a double-double and 4 steals or so.
So, that is my objective look at describing a Great Team. Almost everyone, even bench players, can fill the score line in 4 areas. WOW!

I try never to disagree with an expert, and this is not disagreement--I think you missed a big part of having a WINNING season/team. CHEMISTRY.
Geno in the past took his kids off to Europe for a week or two and Christine set up "games" designed to develop people who relied on each other, respected each other, and listened to each other.
Coach--I'm sure your posting was about what the team is currently doing--mine was more of how they got here from one aspect.

Reaction Score
I try never to disagree with an expert, and this is not disagreement--I think you missed a big part of having a WINNING season/team. CHEMISTRY.
Geno in the past took his kids off to Europe for a week or two and Christine set up "games" designed to develop people who relied on each other, respected each other, and listened to each other.
Coach--I'm sure your posting was about what the team is currently doing--mine was more of how they got here from one aspect.

Broadway - Totally agree with your Chemistry aspect. You brought out into the open what I thought was automatically recognized. In short, you are correct, in order to achieve the bursting score line for 7 players (which makes a great team effort), a team has to have CHEMISTRY.
Nevertheless, the completeness and fullness of the score line for so many players in one game was just eye opening and I did not notice that in the past. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
Broadway - Totally agree with your Chemistry aspect. You brought out into the open what I thought was automatically recognized. In short, you are correct, in order to achieve the bursting score line for 7 players (which makes a great team effort), a team has to have CHEMISTRY.
Nevertheless, the completeness and fullness of the score line for so many players in one game was just eye opening and I did not notice that in the past. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
I should have known you considered Chemistry a given when making your analysis. Thanks for accepting my "addition"!!

Reaction Score
Duly noted!

Reminds me of a story of the QUEEN of ENGLAND, years ago. At a formal dinner, a guest not knowing what the finger bowls were for, picked it up and drank from it. Other guest, gasped, but the Queen---NOT WANTING TO EMBARRASS HER GUEST--picked up her finger bowl and drank from it to.
Point is---if you understand what a poster is saying---isn't it sufficient to ignore it and not SHOW HOW SMART YOU ARE--by being less than the Queen?
Kibitzer--is accomplished in English. The rest of us are working at it. Let Kibitzer do his thing --ALONE, one Kibitzer is more than enough.\
Besides Criteria/Criterion has been beaten into the ground prior to this.

Reaction Score
Lets not forget leadership as a key criteria...think Russell(championships) vs Chamberlain(stats).....we are blessed to have Stewie, Mo and Tuck. Next year one of Tuck's most important roles will be team leader and I suspect Nurse becomes more vocal. I think back to Taurasi and the way she willed her way to championships. Interestingly, when SC lost Welch they lost their leader and have had a difficult time finding someone to step up and it has showed in their results to date. My sense is that Geno pays attention a great deal of attention to leadership qualities when he recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom