Coverage in the big city | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coverage in the big city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn football doesn't do well, and neither does Rutgers. outside of ND and PSU no one does well (I.e above a 3 rating).

You are just factually wrong that RU doesn't do well.

Rutgers has played in 4 of the top 5 highest rated college football games on ESPN in the NYC DMA....and in all 5 of the top 5 highest rated games on ESPN2 in the NYC DMA.

Rutgers has played in the highest rated game in NYC DMA on the following networks:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
Big Ten Network
SNY
CBS Sports Network
Yes Network

Reaction Score
If it's totally negligible then Syracuse and the other schools gave infinitesimal interest, since they get preempted.

Tranghese said Uconn is the school that "moves the needle" in NYC.

For basketball. Basketball. He was so clueless that he didn't even take football, which is what expansion is all about, into consideration.
IN NYC, no one moves the needle more than Rutgers for football. That's been proven by RU's ratings.

pj

Reaction Score

Rutgers has played in 4 of the top 5 highest rated college football games on ESPN in the NYC DMA....and in all 5 of the top 5 highest rated games on ESPN2 in the NYC DMA.

Rutgers has played in the highest rated game in NYC DMA on the following networks:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
Big Ten Network
SNY
CBS Sports Network
Yes Network

Northern New Jersey is almost half the NYC DMA, and Rutgers is the only football playing university located in the NYC DMA. It would be amazing if Rutgers didn't do this well. Connecticut contributes 7% of the NYC DMA and UConn is located in an entirely different DMA. The fact that we have significant pull in Rutgers's DMA is notable.

Reaction Score
For basketball. Basketball. He was so clueless that he didn't even take football, which is what expansion is all about, into consideration.
IN NYC, no one moves the needle more than Rutgers for football. That's been proven by RU's ratings.

This isn't even remotely close to the truth. You're talking about ESPN contracts. Meanwhile, the schools that really move the needle are on NBC and ABC. Ever compare an ESPN rating to what ND gets on NBC?

You're getting maybe 20% of the picture.

And by the way, the bball ratings are just as good as the football ratings in the region. When people say the move is all about football,they are talking about GOOD football, not bad football. In other words, people well know that a Georgia football game is going to blow away a Georgia bball game in the ratings. But in the northeast, you'll find a UConn bball game drawing as much interest as a Rutgers football game. Heck, rodeo beats BC football for interest in Boston.

Again, GOOD football.

Reaction Score

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
Big Ten Network
SNY
CBS Sports Network
Yes Network

You left out the fact that your opponent on BTN regularly draws more eyeballs in NYC than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
You left out the fact that your opponent on BTN regularly draws more eyeballs in NYC than Rutgers.

Those PSU or ND games pull a lot of 3-4 ratings in NYC. Granted they have a huge advantage of being on network. I'm sure RU would do well on network too. But the fact remains, the ESPN or BTN games are not the only measures of what moves the needle in NYC.

Here's an article from 4 years ago: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703467004575463843751580442

Reaction Score
'Only one market in the entire country had a lower TV rating for last year's BCS national-championship game (New York was 55th, Providence, R.I., was 56th). So there's a case to be made that being New York's college-football team in recent years is a bit like being Albuquerque's curling team."

ouchee! I think that is what many of us have been thinking. New York, like the northeast, has not built a significant college football following.

Not to say that it can't be built, as the article infers. Just that NY has some ways to go.

Reaction Score
"New York City is so dynamic that it's an everything city, and there's so much going on that the only way you're going to capture the city is through winning. What we're doing is setting up an apparatus to where, when we have success, we'll have those inroads in New York City," he said.

Yep...winning. That has always been the answer to most questions.

Reaction Score
'Only one market in the entire country had a lower TV rating for last year's BCS national-championship game (New York was 55th, Providence, R.I., was 56th). So there's a case to be made that being New York's college-football team in recent years is a bit like being Albuquerque's curling team."

ouchee! I think that is what many of us have been thinking. New York, like the northeast, has not built a significant college football following.

Not to say that it can't be built, as the article infers. Just that NY has some ways to go.

The flip side is how college football fans tout Birminghams great football ratings. Who cares? No one lives in Birmingham. I believe you made this same mistake in the past when you came here touting Louisville's market. You said that they had the best bball market in the nation. But here's why NYC counts, and it has nothing to do with bad ABQ curling analogies. When UK pulled a 45 rating in Louisville for the men's NC ball game, that amounted to fewer people watching than the 4.8 rating the Uconn women got in NYC in the F4.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about basketball...don't watch basketball...

It's Louisville's football market, ESPN's #9 ranked football market in 2013, that interested me. And no, folks weren't all tuned in to watch awful Kentucky.

If NYC is such a draw...why does it not even nibble at being in the top 25 ESPN metered markets for football?

I get it that the city is huge...and thus maybe a couple of hundred thousand must watch football...but they don't make a blip on ratings.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about basketball...don't watch basketball...

It's Louisville's football market, ESPN's #9 ranked football market in 2013, that interested me. And no, folks weren't all tuned in to watch awful Kentucky.

If NYC is such a draw...why does it not even nibble at being in the top 25 ESPN metered markets for football?

I get it that the city is huge...and thus maybe a couple of hundred thousand must watch football...but they don't make a blip on ratings.

Football/basketball--it doesn't matter. If the market is pulling in a 45 rating, no one cares about the sport. Your preferences are irrelevant when it comes to the bottom line: $$. If they could get that rating with bourbon bottle throwing, that's what would be on TV. Not football.

Couple hundred thousand? The article I listed had a 5 rating for ND. That's 5% x 22 million = 1 million + viewers. In one market.

Louisville needs to pull a 60 rating to equal that.

Again, you seem to be impressed by podunk markets while reiterating that NYC doesn't get high ratings. If 100 out of 101 people in your ville watched football last weekend, I guess you'd celebrate your 99 rating. But meanwhile, the advertisers are counting eyeballs. And, disposable income. People in the NYC buy half a trillion dollars worth of consumer goods per year.

Reaction Score
Football/basketball--it doesn't matter. If the market is pulling in a 45 rating, no one cares about the sport. Your preferences are irrelevant when it comes to the bottom line: $$. If they could get that rating with bourbon bottle throwing, that's what would be on TV. Not football.

Couple hundred thousand? The article I listed had a 5 rating for ND. That's 5% x 22 million = 1 million + viewers. In one market.

Louisville needs to pull a 60 rating to equal that.

Again, you seem to be impressed by podunk markets while reiterating that NYC doesn't get high ratings. If 100 out of 101 people in your ville watched football last weekend, I guess you'd celebrate your 99 rating. But meanwhile, the advertisers are counting eyeballs. And, disposable income. People in the NYC buy half a trillion dollars worth of consumer goods per year.
BB is still trying to snow/convince us on the "Ville" add and "insignificance" of the NY/NJ market in comparing? NYC w/o NJ/FF county alone dwarf's the whole state of Kentucky. Maybe you can compare "Ville" to SU country(CNY) but not any part of the heavily populated and wealthy eastern seaboard from Balt/DC to Boston via the" heart" of the NYC/NJ/LI/Western Conn megalopolis.

Reaction Score

Again, you are wrong. Big Ten teams including Penn State have been airing on the BTN in NYC for several years now...yet in our first year in the league, we set the ratings record on BTN in NYC.

The Big Ten network even bragged about it.

http://btn.com/2014/09/16/penn-state-at-rutgers-on-btn-was-top-rated-ncaaf-game-in-ny-philly/

A few weeks later, RU set the second highest Neilson rating in NYC on BTN when we beat Michigan in a night game.

Regarding ratings against ND, RU pulled a 2.2 in NYC on a cable network vs the 1.7 in NYC Notre Dame had on ABC at the same time on the same day, so your theory about network versus BTN is wrong.

Had RU played on ABC, we would have doubled ND's rating in NYC.

Reaction Score
Again, you are wrong. Big Ten teams including Penn State have been airing on the BTN in NYC for several years now...yet in our first year in the league, we set the ratings record on BTN in NYC.

The Big Ten network even bragged about it.

http://btn.com/2014/09/16/penn-state-at-rutgers-on-btn-was-top-rated-ncaaf-game-in-ny-philly/

A few weeks later, RU set the second highest Neilson rating in NYC on BTN when we beat Michigan in a night game.

Regarding ratings against ND, RU pulled a 2.2 in NYC on a cable network vs the 1.7 in NYC Notre Dame had on ABC at the same time on the same day, so your theory about network versus BTN is wrong.

Had RU played on ABC, we would have doubled ND's rating in NYC.

I posted a link below that showed you ND's 5.3 rating on network in NYC.

How did you miss that?

No doubt RU was a big factor in that 2.2. I'm just pointing out that you were playing the 2nd most popular team in NYC, which had just as much to do with that rating.

Look, Uconn did a huge rating nationally on ABC two years ago. 1.5 nationally. It was the most watched football game that entire week, primetime too. In September.

There's a reason UConn fans don't brag about that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom