Coverage in the big city | The Boneyard

Coverage in the big city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just an update for those of you whose conferences think they're now "in New York City" for one reason or another, UConn fans are heading into their fourth hour of SNY's coverage of the UConn-Columbia game.

But, hey, you've got a tourney in Brooklyn in five years or you've moved your tourney up to late February at MSG, so you clearly think you have it covered...

Reaction Score
UConn's big presence in New York is because of all the fans from Connecticut heading down there for games.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
UConn's big presence in New York is because of all the fans from Connecticut heading down there for games.

The old Big East had a lot to do with it, of course. Rutgers, St. Johns and Seton Hall being within commuting distance of mid-town.

But, UConn WINS! And that has, probably, the biggest impact.

Reaction Score

That has a lot to do with it, but the TV sets in NYC's DMA do well for UConn sports so there's interest there regardless.

Reaction Score
Well, I know this whole thing is driven by football, but at some point the most successful basketball programs (that's plural by the way) over the last two decades will ultimately find UCONN in a good conference home and NYC does have some interest in college basketball. And yes I know it's women's hoops, but what Geno has done is historic by any measure, and there is a meaningful following.

Ultimately we will end up on a level playing field and when we do I want BC's bleeding and beating heart on a duck*ing platter.

Merry Christmas.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Not to pump the brakes on your trolling, but this was a televised broadcast.

We didn't have to travel because SNY, (that's SportsNewYork), puts on a nice UConn pregame studio show, shows the game and then wraps it up with a nice UConn postgame studio show.

They would do the same for whatever sorry-ass program you root for, but perhaps there's just not the interest.

(Insert sad trombone music.)

Reaction Score
All you need to see to know that UConn is a brand in the city and its outskirts is our roster, past and present.

Taliek Brown, Ben Gordon, Kemba Walker, AJ Price, Kenton Facey, Charlie Villanueva, Hilton Armstrong etc. These guys came to UConn because it was close and highly visible. They

Reaction Score
Cue up Liza Minelli...
Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York

Reaction Score
upload_2014-12-23_11-18-1.png

Reaction Score
Oh I get the Frank vs Liza....you didn't get why I cued up Liza rather than Frank LOL.

She made a kind of "metro" kind of guy.

Reaction Score
Well, I know this whole thing is driven by football, but at some point the most successful basketball programs (that's plural by the way) over the last two decades will ultimately find UCONN in a good conference home and NYC does have some interest in college basketball. And yes I know it's women's hoops, but what Geno has done is historic by any measure, and there is a meaningful following.

Ultimately we will end up on a level playing field and when we do I want BC's bleeding and beating heart on a duck*ing platter.

Merry Christmas.

If you can find an heart... or spine for that matter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cue up Liza Minelli...
Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York

Buck up, hillbilly.

I'm sure Florida State broadcasts are well-received in nearly every household in Leon County.

Or at least the ones wired for cable.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Oh no, now I am confused. That must be a Storrs taxi because, as we all know, there are no UCONN fans who live in NYC. We all train/drive in on gamedays.
Don't be confused. That was mos def photoshopped.

We all know NYC is UConn country without any signs. We don't need no stinkin signs.

Reaction Score
That has a lot to do with it, but the TV sets in NYC's DMA do well for UConn sports so there's interest there regardless.

Basketball? Yes, UCONN does well with NYC DMA viewership.

Football? Not at all. Horrible, in fact.

Reaction Score
Not to pump the brakes on your trolling, but this was a televised broadcast.

We didn't have to travel because SNY, (that's SportsNewYork), puts on a nice UConn pregame studio show, shows the game and then wraps it up with a nice UConn postgame studio show.

They would do the same for whatever sorry-ass program you root for, but perhaps there's just not the interest.

(Insert sad trombone music.)

I'm actually a UConn fan but I don't believe in spreading fantasy in the hopes that people believe it's true. UConn is on SNY so that network can spread into Connecticut, not the other way around. It's wishful thinking that there is a significant Huskies fanbase in New York.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So....a network in New York builds a studio in New York and then broadcasts in New York in the hopes of spreading that broadcast into a different market? All righty, sport.

I live in New York. It's part of my basic cable package, but that's a darned nice try, troll.

Come clean.

Boston College? That'd be my wager.

Signed up right after UConn pinged BC in hockey - that must have wadded up your undies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom