Couple of quick schedule observations | The Boneyard

Couple of quick schedule observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I just organized my spreadsheets of P5 team's schedules (and Arizona / Rutgers non-P5 opponents).

One thing I always look for is teams from lesser conferences that over-schedule; in the past we have had teams play 8 or 9 games against P5 teams, generally for the financial payout. Good News - not so much this year.

4 relatively low-level teams are playing 5 games against P5 competition, this doesn't seem completely unreasonable but is a bit steep. Hampton and Mississippi State are playing all 5 games away; SE Louisiana and Savannah State both have 1 at home and 4 away.

I have also noted teams not playing the allowed 29 games in the past, again, this appears to be less common this year. Wisconsin is playing 28 and Kentucky 27. All the other P5 teams play at least 29. UConn is playing 29, Arizona and Rutgers 30 due to participation in 3 game destination tournaments.

The most games teams play are Indiana, North Carolina, Baylor and West Virginia playing 31. The only way you can play that many games is participate in a 4 game tournament - either the pre-season WNIT or the Hall of Fame Classic.

Lastly, the number of conference games has been discussed on the BY. For the conferences that I have the information:
American, B1G, Big 12, PAC12, West Coast, C-USA, Big South, Big East, Horizon League play 18 games in conference.

The MAAC apparently plays an amazing 20 games in-conference.

16 conference games in the MEAC, Atlantic 10, ACC and SEC.

Only 14 for the WAC and Atlantic Sun.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This thread made me look at the schedules for the two Division I schools in my city. NC A&T (MEAC) usually plays a number of P5 schools a season. They play at Ohio State this season.... but they have an intriguing opening game at home.... vs FGCU... a borderline top 25 team. I might go over and see that game...... NCA&T was picked to win the MEAC this season... so it might be a competitive game... at least for a half or so. UNC-G (Southern) goes to play at Baby Carolina. They actually got a ranked Florida State squad to visit their tiny gym a few years ago. Elon (Colonial) plays at NCSU, Little Carolina, and West Virginia. High Point (Big South) plays at NCSU and Maryland and vs Ga Tech in Cancun.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is pretty tough for non-P5 teams to create balanced schedules, especially if they are good enough to want to increase their SOS. So many P5 teams schedule almost entirely home games in their non-conference with the exception of perhaps a few other P5 conference teams. It is a financial choice in most cases, but their is also to some degree a padding of W/L record.
Uconn is not immune to that, though for them it is often also a geographic consideration - they have always liked increasing their exposure geographically so are more open to H/H schedules with good non-P5 in areas of the country where they have limited exposure, than ones where they have good saturation.

I know the preseason opponents are usually well compensated by the P5 teams, but am curious as you imply there is also significant monetary compensation beyond gate receipt splits for non-conference schedules - is this really true? I'm not aware of Uconn paying 'appearance fees' for non-conference games.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is pretty tough for non-P5 teams to create balanced schedules, especially if they are good enough to want to increase their SOS. So many P5 teams schedule almost entirely home games in their non-conference with the exception of perhaps a few other P5 conference teams. It is a financial choice in most cases, but their is also to some degree a padding of W/L record.
Uconn is not immune to that, though for them it is often also a geographic consideration - they have always liked increasing their exposure geographically so are more open to H/H schedules with good non-P5 in areas of the country where they have limited exposure, than ones where they have good saturation.

I know the preseason opponents are usually well compensated by the P5 teams, but am curious as you imply there is also significant monetary compensation beyond gate receipt splits for non-conference schedules - is this really true? I'm not aware of Uconn paying 'appearance fees' for non-conference games.
I wasn't clear - I was referencing playing away and receiving appearance fees. I also meant "Mississippi Valley State" not Mississippi State (which is one of the teams they are playing, for that matter). Last year, there were lower conference teams that played 8 or more games away at P5 schools and received the moderate appearance fees that WBB pays. Amounts were actually in an Arizona article last year (it was really about the men, but mentioned the women, a lot less but still real).

My comment this season was there were less schools in that situation. Perhaps fees are less this year? Or conference rules about playing? Who knows.

Reaction Score
WOW, a lot of analysis and pretty thorough and thoughtful. But it really just comes down to this: it's UCONN at one level and everyone else just trying to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom