Could the Mountain West and Pac-12 merge into a single, 16-team conference? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Could the Mountain West and Pac-12 merge into a single, 16-team conference?

Reaction Score
and then there were 3 (options for Cal & Stanford):

1) join the MW
2) join the ACC
3) indy for football and join WCC for all other sports
I don't believe the PAC leftovers are so eager to join the G5 ranks. For Stanford and Cal, if the ACC doesn't work out, option 3 looks pretty appealing.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the PAC leftovers are so eager to join the G5 ranks. For Stanford and Cal, if the ACC doesn't work out, option 3 looks pretty appealing.
right now the MW tv deal nets $4 milly per school. i think they could bump that up a couple mill by adding the PAC 4.

would stanford or cal get more than $5-7 mill from NBC or a streamer? i highly doubt it.

does the WCC even have a tv deal to supplement an indy football tv deal?

Reaction Score

->An initiative led by San Diego State to essentially create a new conference that would have sought "Power Five" designation in the aftermath of radical conference realignment failed this week, sources tell CBS Sports.

SDSU president Adela de la Torre was leading a push to assemble what would have amounted to a breakaway of the best schools from the Mountain West and American conferences along with some combination of Pac-12 leftovers California, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, sources said.

However, the idea died after Monday night after Mountain West presidents held a call that ended with the leadership showing unity. <-

-> "Does it make sense to take the best of the American, remaining Pac and best of the Mountain West and create a new conference that [would] potentially fight for A5 designation? In general, I think it does," an industry source said. "I just am not sure what value that would bring from a network standpoint. ESPN and Fox … have already spent their money." <-

In theory I like this move. Everyone has been hopping from conference to conference and it's been a joke except for a few programs like UCF. Go out and create a new conference with the best available programs rather than hope to be invited into a conference which already has dead weight. It wouldn't be a power conference but it would have been better than the MW. Still interested to see what happens to Oregon St and Washington St.

Reaction Score

->An initiative led by San Diego State to essentially create a new conference that would have sought "Power Five" designation in the aftermath of radical conference realignment failed this week, sources tell CBS Sports.

SDSU president Adela de la Torre was leading a push to assemble what would have amounted to a breakaway of the best schools from the Mountain West and American conferences along with some combination of Pac-12 leftovers California, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State, sources said.

However, the idea died after Monday night after Mountain West presidents held a call that ended with the leadership showing unity. <-

-> "Does it make sense to take the best of the American, remaining Pac and best of the Mountain West and create a new conference that [would] potentially fight for A5 designation? In general, I think it does," an industry source said. "I just am not sure what value that would bring from a network standpoint. ESPN and Fox … have already spent their money." <-
Interesting reaction...

John David Wicker @jdwicker 17h
My statement regarding the recent CBS Sports - News, Live Scores, Schedules, Fantasy Games, Video and more. article: The first two paragraphs of this article contain numerous false or misleading statements. SDSU has been actively involved in conference realignment discussions before and after the latest round of Pac-12 (1/2)

defections. However, SDSU has not sought to create a new conference or seek A5 status for a new conference. SDSU has had no communication with the American Athletic Conference, nor any of its member institutions. SDSU continues to be an active participant with the Mountain(2/3)

Conference as the conference assesses the best path forward during this turbulent time in our industry.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And in a streaming world, they don’t need to find channel space on ESPN or Fox. They can just go direct. One of the problems they would have to consider is the regional nature of an ivy streaming service, but Stanford and Cal, and say Rice, solve that. This would be a platform for streaming games, so they don’t need to play each other in every sport, even football.

If Stanford, Cal, Rice, the service academies and Ivies were all on the streaming platform, and it was marketed as a return to the true “student athlete” roots of college athletics, any “elite” university that wasn’t on it might as well be Auburn as far as that schools’ alumni would be concerned.

It is a conversation worth having.

The best solution for Stanford and Cal that I have seen.

Reaction Score
If FOX/BIG don't bring in Stanford/Cal they will rue the day.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The best solution for Stanford and Cal that I have seen.
This is Stanford and Cal's best solution (assuming no P4 invite):
Go independent in football (will be seen as P4 equivalent by media)
Make agreement with OSU and WSU to leave league for MW but allow Stanford and Cal to keep Pac X branding in exchange for allowing OSU and WSU to keep NCAA tournament credits on way out the door.

Create Pac-8 (good Olympic sports and academic league- the Western Ivy)

Cal
Stanford
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Riverside
Hawaii

Reaction Score
This is Stanford and Cal's best solution (assuming no P4 invite):
Go independent in football (will be seen as P4 equivalent by media)
Make agreement with OSU and WSU to leave league for MW but allow Stanford and Cal to keep Pac X branding in exchange for allowing OSU and WSU to keep NCAA tournament credits on way out the door.

Create Pac-8 (good Olympic sports and academic league- the Western Ivy)

Cal
Stanford
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC Riverside
Hawaii
I kinda like it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online