Could Michelle Sidor Have Connecticut in Her Future? | The Boneyard

Could Michelle Sidor Have Connecticut in Her Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/h.../sky-s-the-limit-for-sidor-1.1489088?page=all

Not sure if she will reach the level necessary to get a UConn offer but freshman Michelle Sidor has taken Bergen County NJ basketball by storm this season. I've seen her play on several occasions and she is an unusually gifted basketball player both physically and mentally. Looking forward to see if she can continue to grow into a top notch Division 1 talent.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope from here on she concentrates only on BB and nothing else. Stef Curry didn't become great by playing baseball (or soccer or lacrosse) in the off season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope from here on she concentrates only on BB and nothing else. Stef Curry didn't become great by playing baseball (or soccer or lacrosse) in the off season.
From here on out I hope she concentrates on whatever makes her happy including finding a date to the Prom and getting over her fist crush, those piano lesson, braces and all other things normal for a 14 year old girl. Two sports worked out pretty well for Caroline Doty, Gabby, & EDD.....

Reaction Score
From here on out I hope she concentrates on whatever makes her happy including finding a date to the Prom and getting over her fist crush, those piano lesson, braces and all other things normal for a 14 year old girl. Two sports worked out pretty well for Caroline Doty, Gabby, & EDD.....
Yeah, but high school soccer really killed Sue Bird's basketball career - she could've been something really special...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wasn't Bria Hartley a highly sought after HS lacrosse player and a scholastic All-American in that sport?
Caroline Doty, Gabby, EDD, Sue Bird, Bria Hartley.................. Keep it going.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Doty had her first ACL injury playing soccer in her senior year.

Reaction Score

In my quest to highlight the best Bergen County NJ high school basketball players that may one day be on Connecticut's recruiting radar: Here's another story on freshman Michelle Sidor as she scores 34 points including six threes in leading Saddle River Day to the Bergen County Championship and picks up the MVP award in the process.

H.S. girls basketball: Saddle River Day earns Bergen crown

022216-s-sidor-70p.jpg

BUY THIS PHOTO
AMY NEWMAN/ STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Michelle Sidor, center, celebrating victory Sunday with Saddle River Day teammates.

MAHWAH — Eugene Sidor saw his youngest daughter Michelle throwing perfect football spirals in the back yard with her brothers and was like, maybe she should try a new sport.

"She had been playing soccer," said Eugene. "And I said, ‘Why don’t you try basketball? It’s a sport that you can use your hands.’ I knew she was athletic."

Sidor, now a freshman at Saddle River Day, used those hands to score 34 points and lead the Rebels to their first Bergen County basketball title Sunday with a 53-36 win over Immaculate Conception.

It looked like the first big chapter of what could be a historic career. From watching Sidor slice through the lane, finish with both her left and right hands, anticipate passes and make steals, and also deliver a few precise assists, North Jersey hasn’t seen anyone with her skill set in a while.

After Sunday’s performance at Ramapo College, it’s fun to speculate about what she could accomplish: 3,000 points? Four times as an All-County first-teamer? Saddle River Day, one of the smallest schools in Bergen County, may need to build a bigger gym.

"In sixth and seventh grade we knew that she was special," said Rebels coach Danny Brown. "And it was all her. Her passion is so far above anyone that I have ever coached, and her effort too. She has never left practice on time. I leave and she stays in the gym while the boys are practicing."

Sidor, 15, and the youngest of five children, was comfortable with the pressure put on by the Blue Wolves. She scored seven of her team’s first nine points in a game in which the Rebels never trailed. She also handled the postgame media crush with poise, her size 8 1/2 sneakers still tied, her red shirt still damp with sweat.

"It’s great to be a part of this," said Sidor. "To be a part and help a lot is really huge."

Sidor deserves many accolades, but she is far from a one-girl show. Brown has a core of seniors, including Dani McMahon, Kayla Oge, Kelly Hannigan and Carly Christofi, that has accepted Sidor and allowed her to flourish.

"That was one of my major concerns. What do you do when you have six to seven seniors and have three to four freshmen coming in — how will they embrace that?" said Brown. "But our seniors said, ‘We got this.’ They knew what could happen if they did, and what could happen if they didn’t."

Any coach of a girls team will tell you that chemistry is important. Boys teams can sometimes get along on the court even if they don’t off of it; girls not so much.

That type of welcoming environment is what Sidor was looking for at Saddle River Day. Four years ago she was at the Bradley Center when Saddle River Day played Newtown High School after the school shooting in that Connecticut town, and she knew Brown.

"I have always known Danny, and I played Gym Ratz [AAU program] and he was just an amazing coach," said Sidor. "I really like the way he coaches, and when all these freshman came in it changed the whole program around. I knew it was a great place academically."

Sidor plays for the iExcel AAU program out of East Orange in the summer. She said that has allowed her to learn what it’s like to go up against bigger players who are trying to intimidate her.

"She just loves basketball," said her father. "It’s just a passion for her. She just wants to do the best she can, and every time she gets to a certain point, she raises the bar and works that much harder."

And yes, colleges are already aware of Sidor, and she is aware of what is ahead. As long as Sidor is healthy and in uniform, the Rebels have to be taken seriously in Bergen County and in the Non-Public B bracket.

Sidor said she doesn’t keep a list of goals in her room, which is adorned with basketball posters. But what about these expectations? There were people in the crowd Sunday who came to watch her play, as word of her exploits spread; well, we are serious about Saddle River Day needing a bigger gym.

"It would be great to be all that stuff and be first-team whatever, but I just want to help lead my team far in the season," said Sidor. "Yes, I’d be happy with that stuff, but it’s really about my team.

"I’m just so happy we won this game. It means so much."

(

Reaction Score
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/h.../sky-s-the-limit-for-sidor-1.1489088?page=all

Not sure if she will reach the level necessary to get a UConn offer but freshman Michelle Sidor has taken Bergen County NJ basketball by storm this season. I've seen her play on several occasions and she is an unusually gifted basketball player both physically and mentally. Looking forward to see if she can continue to grow into a top notch Division 1 talent.

You said unusually gifted - how so?

Reaction Score
I've been closely following girl's high school basketball in Bergen County NJ for the past ten years and this kid has a combination of strong skill set, basketball IQ and a controlled aggressiveness that one seldom sees around here....and to have that as a freshman is highly unusual....she played against a national top 100 senior who had a 4 inch height advantage on her and Michelle just ate her up earlier in the year. Is she good enough for the Huskies...not right now.......but I've seen AEH play several times this year and this kid would give her a hard time i can assure you

Reaction Score
I've been closely following girl's high school basketball in Bergen County NJ for the past ten years and this kid has a combination of strong skill set, basketball IQ and a controlled aggressiveness that one seldom sees around here....and to have that as a freshman is highly unusual....she played against a national top 100 senior who had a 4 inch height advantage on her and Michelle just ate her up earlier in the year. Is she good enough for the Huskies...not right now..but I've seen AEH play several times this year and this kid would give her a hard time i can assure you

What's her strength? Handle? Mid-range? Right now if player is bigger she takes her outside and off the bounce? If smaller she pounds her in the paint? Or if smaller she still takes her with shooting and drives?

Reaction Score
What's her strength? Handle? Mid-range? Right now if player is bigger she takes her outside and off the bounce? If smaller she pounds her in the paint? Or if smaller she still takes her with shooting and drives?

Found a bunch of highlights from her freshman season...this one pretty much covers it....I would say she is from the Molly Bent school of basketball.............not sure if I attached it right here though
2019 Michelle Sidor 5'09 G Saddle River Day (NJ) - YouTube

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ohh- I thought she was closer to 6'0 - but she is 5'9. So, among other things, her ceiling in part is going to be how quick she can become.

Found this report from one of the rating services...they have her at four stars right now

Michelle Sidor – 2019 – 5-10 – Saddle River Day School (N.J.)

This kid is a flat out scorer. She showed a level of competitiveness you see in all special players. She carried her team to a fourth quarter, come from behind victory against a talented Baldwin team. She proved to be an efficient scorer with a strong motor. Sidor has good range on her shot and can shoot off the dribble. When crowded she showed the ability to put the ball on the floor and created with the ability to finish at the rim. The freshman finished with 34 points in her lone game at the event and is currently the leading scorer in New Jersey to date.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I watched her play and, in fact, believe soccer has helped her. She glides when she runs upfield/upcourt, much like a midfielder (I was a travel soccer coach for years...) and has cross-over steps and motions that are mutually reinforced on both the pitch and court. Plus, she keeps her hips square to the basket/goal.

I agree...it's way early and felt like I was watching a colt. But that colt can play (and score).

Here's a link in today's nj.com site: http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-basketball-a-freshman-leading-nj-in-scoring/

Reaction Score
I watched her play and, in fact, believe soccer has helped her. She glides when she runs upfield/upcourt, much like a midfielder (I was a travel soccer coach for years...) and has cross-over steps and motions that are mutually reinforced on both the pitch and court. Plus, she keeps her hips square to the basket/goal.

I agree...it's way early and felt like I was watching a colt. But that colt can play (and score).

Here's a link in today's nj.com site: http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-basketball-a-freshman-leading-nj-in-scoring/

I agree....she definately plays basketball with the aggressiveness of a football (soccer) player,,,,it'will be interesting to see how she develops over the next three years....she sure has a head start over just about everybody here in northern NJ...especially my daughter who will play against her next year

Reaction Score
I like her a lot Charlie. Fast and strong on the ball with no hesitation. Auriemma will probably be all over her.

Reaction Score
That young lady has a warrior's mentality......I watched her in the last two games of the Bergen County tournament in which she won the MVP and she went all out for the entire game without being substituted in either game...as a matter of fact she played her best in the last 10 minutes of both games with no sign of being tired...again really unusual for a freshman

Reaction Score
Those are the type of kids who really excel at every level. I had to think for a few minutes for a comparable player and I came up with Jen Rizzotti. Watched a couple clips on YouTube and they're very similar in style of play. No fear and 90 mph. Very unusual to see a kid that age who seems to really know what she's doing.

Reaction Score
Those are the type of kids who really excel at every level. I had to think for a few minutes for a comparable player and I came up with Jen Rizzotti. Watched a couple clips on YouTube and they're very similar in style of play. No fear and 90 mph. Very unusual to see a kid that age who seems to really know what she's doing.

I don't claim to have a college recruiter's eye but I know a really good basketball player when I see one.....I've read that Maryland and Louisville have already been in touch with her.........just want to do my small part to make sure that Connecticut is aware of her........of course somehow I assume they will find out about Miss Sidor without my assistance............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom