Could it still be Missouri, after all? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could it still be Missouri, after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think you've ever valued a business. Connecticut's market is larger than Oregon's. Market size is the number against which all others are multiplied to get valuation.

Oregon games might get better ratings in OUR market than we do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The SEC is like the Hotel California. But in a good way. Plus if you spend ten minutes in Missouri then you would realize it's really an SEC kind of place, and I don't mean that in a nice a way.

I recently found myself in Missouri.

I think if you asked 1,000 Americans what state borders Missouri to the south - on average 15 could answer.

pj

Reaction Score
Rutgers gets 400 people at a basketball game, yet they are worth $50 mn + to the B1G, and probably triple what Oregon would be worth. Oregon has achieved a lot, but in the B1G's model, that doesn't make up for their small market. Now, in the ACC business model, Oregon is worth substantially more than UConn, I'll grant you.

Reaction Score

I think if you asked 1,000 Americans what state borders Missouri to the south - on average 15 could answer.

There is no such thing as the right airport in Missouri. Honestly this place is so dumb, there is a town nearby that is about to overturn the smoking ban.

Reaction Score
Rutgers gets 400 people at a basketball game, yet they are worth $50 mn + to the B1G, and probably triple what Oregon would be worth. Oregon has achieved a lot, but in the B1G's model, that doesn't make up for their small market. Now, in the ACC business model, Oregon is worth substantially more than UConn, I'll grant you.

The B1G model is tantamount to gerrymandering, and it could be suspect. That's what Rutgers is estimated to be worth. We'll see how that holds up.

In any model Oregon is worth more. They are a national brand, they boost your contract up by god knows how much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The B1G model is tantamount to gerrymandering, and it could be suspect. That's what Rutgers is estimated to be worth. We'll see how that holds up.

In any model Oregon is worth more. They are a national brand, they boost your contract up by god knows how much.

Yeah, I had some fun with the UConn comment but... Arizona is worth more than Oregon? Arizona State is worth more than Arizona. Colorado is worth more than Oregon?

Did I miss a volcanic eruption that missed Washington and destroyed Oregon?

Reaction Score
I have mentioned Mizzou in another thread but as part of the Kansas-Mizzou pair, which would be the last two schools added if the B1G wanted two more schools to complete their puzzle. That will also depend on when Kansas would be available after the BXII Grant of Rights ends.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have mentioned Mizzou in another thread but as part of the Kansas-Mizzou pair, which would be the last two schools added if the B1G wanted two more schools to complete their puzzle. That will also depend on when Kansas would be available after the BXII Grant of Rights ends.

And it would depend on Missouri... LEAVING THE SEC AFTER THE BIG TEN PASSED THEM OVER MULTIPLE TIMES.

Reaction Score
I agree. Mizzou is a very long shot at this point. Can they get over those hurt feelings that quickly?

Reaction Score
Neither Kansas or Mizzou bring new recruiting territory to the B1G. Kansas doesn't bring many TV sets either. BTN is already on basic cable in St Louis, as it borders Illinois. I think this is why the B1G Presidents could not unanimously agree to add them. They migh have had a majority in favor, but the B1G seems to only want to make expansion moves when it's unanimous as it was with Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. That's a shift from the past, as Penn State and Michigan State were not unanimous additions in decades past.

Reaction Score

What pair? Only outsiders see it that way. Mizzou moved on to bigger and better things. They aren't leaving the SEC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
God almighty with these threads sometimes.

Look, there are few in this world who are more optimistic than I am; more capable of believing in the improbable. But if anyone believes that Mizzou is going to leave the SEC, after having demonstrated that they can be successful in the conference from both a performance and a monetary standpoint, then you are hitting the crackpipe too hard. You have to do your crack in moderation! Too much crack...not so good...

Reaction Score
What pair? Only outsiders see it that way. Mizzou moved on to bigger and better things. They aren't leaving the SEC.
You're probably right that they won't leave the SEC. The thing that you miss is that the hardcore B1G fans in the cornbelt are unhappy about the move East. I linked an article in the other thread from one of them. They would prefer a Mizzou to another East school, as unlikely as that is now. The presidents can't continue to defy the fans like they did last time or donors will drop out. Most likely is everybody's in their places for the near future. After that is anybody's guess.

pj

Reaction Score
God almighty with these threads sometimes.

Look, there are few in this world who are more optimistic than I am; more capable of believing in the improbable. But if anyone believes that Mizzou is going to leave the SEC, after having demonstrated that they can be successful in the conference from both a performance and a monetary standpoint, then you are hitting the crackpipe too hard. You have to do your crack in moderation! Too much crack...not so good...

I don't hit my crackpipe. Too precious, it might break.

It's improbable that Missouri would leave the SEC, but it's even more improbable that the B1G would ask them, since they passed on Missouri already - must not fit be a compelling case. And I can see that, if they think they have St Louis already for the BTN, Kansas might add more value than Missouri since it would bring a new state and the other major city in Missouri, Kansas City, and also the Univ of Missouri may not show up well on metrics of in-state fan interest due to pro sports competition and the remoteness of Columbia. It's also not a bridge to a higher-value target the way Kansas might bring Oklahoma and Texas or Virginia might bring UNC. Arguably, if you were to raid the SEC, Kentucky would bring more value than Missouri.

But, what do we have to hope for in the near term, but the improbable? It's even more improbable that the B12 or ACC GoRs will be tested so far from their expiration. It's improbable any non-P5 schools other than UConn would be attractive to the B1G (Buffalo???). In B1G expansion terms, it's probably UConn + an SEC team, UConn as #15 without a partner, or nothing.

UConn brings more value to the B1G than anyone else, so I think that's the logical endpoint. But they are an exclusive club and can be patient.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Why would Mizzou want to leave the SEC? They begged the B1G to get in and were spurned each time before getting a life raft from the SEC. It's kind of like if Uconn were to get into the B1G and then the ACC invited Uconn. No way they go now.

B1G has already spurned UConn (at least temporarily). If ACC decided to expand again finally with UConn, we'd obviously accept. But we would still thereafter jump immediately if B1G later came calling. There's a 0% chance our ACC bad blood and B1G disappointment would cause us to think twice in accepting an invite to either conference.

Though Mizzou's chances at a 4-team playoff would be greatly enhanced if in B1G, their SEC vs. B1G preference ultimately comes down to culture / long term vision of institutional values.

Hurt feelings not a factor.

Mizzou to B1G shouldnt shock anyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

8 states are contiguous with Missouri and every one is south of Missouri at some place.

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as the right airport in Missouri. Honestly this place is so dumb, there is a town nearby that is about to overturn the smoking ban.
Gasp! They're actually considering permitting people to exercise personal liberty?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
8 states are contiguous with Missouri and every one is south of Missouri at some place.

Is this like where CL82 argues for dozens of posts for an on campus stadium and then uses pedantic grammar arguments to claim he isn't?

Reaction Score
Is this like where CL82 argues for dozens of posts for an on campus stadium and then uses pedantic grammar arguments to claim he isn't?
Nope, all 8 states, Iowa included, have territory bordering Missouri that is south of the contiguous Missouri point.

Reaction Score
These are great facts about Missouri. And its two largest cities are on the state borders, so half of their suburban populations probably live outside of Missouri.

Reaction Score
Nope, all 8 states, Iowa included, have territory bordering Missouri that is south of the contiguous Missouri point.
Heads up, whaler, incoming mea culpa! It's an old trivia question that I thought I remembered correctly, but now I'm thinking I got it backwards. Show Me Staters can enter all 8 surrounding states by traveling north from some point in Missouri (not the same point just some point). Hopefully you haven't wasted half the day on-hold with the US Geodesic Survey.

Reaction Score
These are great facts about Missouri. And its two largest cities are on the state borders, so half of their suburban populations probably live outside of Missouri.
See my infallibility disclaimer above.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Sorry obviously I meant the southern border with Arkansas. Since one is generally midwest and the other southeast, that they share an entire border is one that I bet most people dont realize.

Reaction Score
Neither Kansas or Mizzou bring new recruiting territory to the B1G. Kansas doesn't bring many TV sets either. BTN is already on basic cable in St Louis, as it borders Illinois. I think this is why the B1G Presidents could not unanimously agree to add them. They migh have had a majority in favor, but the B1G seems to only want to make expansion moves when it's unanimous as it was with Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. That's a shift from the past, as Penn State and Michigan State were not unanimous additions in decades past.

The Big Ten, despite its supposed elitism, is pretty egalitarian among its own members. "Unanimous" may well be the new standard. There was some blog comment (or multiple blogs) that Wisconsin and Michigan said "no" to FSU, while OSU was in favor. No doubt Missouri has in the past-and probably in the present-vetted in detail. I think that you can likely put UConn in that category. I'd take them both in a heartbeat and put a "Closed for business" sign with boutique shop hours for Notre Dame and Texas if the near impossible happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom