Cosmos | The Boneyard

Cosmos

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see this! I vaguely remember the original, but I totally geek out over space stuff.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I've been watching the original series on DVD. Not only was Carl Sagan the best embodiment of science communication, outreach and advocacy (where my career will probably wind up), he was also gifted in his ability to weave in history and art, and even a form of non-religious spirituality (for lack of a better term) into his stories. By the way, here's one example of how cloistered scientists can be, ivory tower and all that. Sagan was nominated to the National Academy of Sciences after Cosmos came out (he also had a solid research career prior to that) but the Academy rejected him. It may have been jealousy, it may have been contempt for idea of public outreach, but today that decision to exclude him looks very shortsighted at the least

I'm looking forward to the new show (even though Seth MacFarlane is part of it) Neil DeGrasse-Tyson may not completely fill Carl Sagan's shoes but he'll do a pretty good job. Here's a clip about the Hayden Planeterium show on dark matter (watch in HD if you can).

Reaction Score
I've been watching the original series on DVD. Not only was Carl Sagan the best embodiment of science communication, outreach and advocacy (where my career will probably wind up), he was also gifted in his ability to weave in history and art, and even a form of non-religious spirituality (for lack of a better term) into his stories. By the way, here's one example of how cloistered scientists can be, ivory tower and all that. Sagan was nominated to the National Academy of Sciences after Cosmos came out (he also had a solid research career prior to that) but the Academy rejected him. It may have been jealousy, it may have been contempt for idea of public outreach, but today that decision to exclude him looks very shortsighted at the least

I'm looking forward to the new show (even though Seth MacFarlane is part of it) Neil DeGrasse-Tyson may not completely fill Carl Sagan's shoes but he'll do a pretty good job. Here's a clip about the Hayden Planeterium show on dark matter (watch in HD if you can).

I have watched a few episodes in Youtube, it's really good. He had me at "Atoms the size of suns, and universes the size of atoms".

Reaction Score
First episode is good. I would like to learn more about the actual cosmos and have less of a cartoon history lesson. Everyone knows how stupid and goofy the church was back then.

The calendar did a really good job at making our current existence seem utterly insignificant.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Starting to watch it now... Is the whole thing just CGI? I mean it's nice CGI... I'm just kind of wishing it was more of a "Planet Earth" feel...

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I like the show, but my son, who is a candidate for his PHD in quantum physics knows DeGrasse-Tyson. Unlike me, my boy is just about the kindest person on the face of the earth but has a distinct dislike for D-T. According to my son, D-T is a huge hypocrite who treats most people like dog poo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom