Confused. Was this a neutral site game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Confused. Was this a neutral site game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Long way to go for a home game. Why / how was it a MD home game? Are there that many alums in NYC? In all these years, I've never met one. Or was it a we gotta be in NYC for a day thing?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Long way to go for a home game. Why / how was it a MD home game? Are there that many alums in NYC? In all these years, I've never met one. Or was it a we gotta be in NYC for a day thing?

Large north jersey Maryland alumni base is the reason for the BC home away from home game. The uconn fans were centralized to the upper decks and were loud at times. That was definitely a MD home game and I believe tickets were distributed to their advantage.

Reaction Score
I had no idea it was a Maryland home game until I sat in my seat at the arena. It was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Also witnessed some terrible behavior by a Md fan. Very surprised by the amount of silly behavior by quite a few of these jerks. Didn't seem to be much security.

C

Chief00

The UConn brand people screwed up big time. What is it about consumers that they actually understand? How a 1/2 full football stadium and 25% of total fans at a neutral site creates a strong brand on TV is beyond me. Many fans stayed home so they could see both games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whole thing was handled like a MD home game. I've never seen anything like it and I would not play another game at Barclays if they treat it like that....Unless we are the home team.
Yes it was. They controlled the venue and ticket sales.

You have to wonder if this arrangement with MD and Barclays was a push by the B!G to get into the NYC markets and that the invite for UConn was also orchestrated by the B!G. It was a great environment for the UConn team to get a major opponent at the beginning of the season, against a hostile crowd but enough UConn crowd to reduce the degree of hostility. I like this venue even if it was only confined to the season of bb. I like it more if the B!G is exploring the future potential of UConn in it's conference.

All in all it was a strong net positive for UConn.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The UConn brand people screwed up big time. What is it about consumers that they actually understand? How a 1/2 full football stadium and 25% of total fans at a neutral site creates a strong brand on TV is beyond me. Many fans stayed home so they could see both games.
You are being myopic. This is not just about the immediate opportunities these games afford. The back to back airing on ESPN2 was a media coup for UConn. The problem wasn't agreeing to the ESPN offer the problem was the pathetic season the football team is having this season. Otherwise UConn would have received a huge boost on the national scene.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Maryland has a deal with the Barclays Center to increase their exposure in the NYC area, as well as because of Kevin Plank.

Could UConn get a similar deal? Maybe. But while Maryland is doing deals to play big teams in NYC with subsidized tickets, UConn is making deals to play low-majors in Bridgeport for a minimum of $25.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Maryland has a deal with the Barclays Center to increase their exposure in the NYC area, as well as because of Kevin Plank.

Could UConn get a similar deal? Maybe. But while Maryland is doing deals to play big teams in NYC with subsidized tickets, UConn is making deals to play low-majors in Bridgeport for a minimum of $25.
Who is Kevin Plank?

The Bridgeport arrangement certainly can be construed as offensive to fans. There is no argument that the price is high relative to the excitement of the game. But these issues are not so simple. The Maryland athletic budget is in the red and bleeding. And getting a lot of public heat. There are pluses and minuses to choices.

I'm hoping that fans turn out to the Bridgeport game and excitement over UConn is increased in the southwest corner of the state. It's a balancing act regarding revenues vs. increasing exposure and excitement amongst residents in the UConn demographic.

zls44

Reaction Score
Under Armor ads were everywhere.

Reaction Score
Someone posted on another site that Maryland is a big school for NJ kids not going to Rutgers and esp. Long Island kids not going to SUNY. I know my younger bro who went to NYU but also applied to Maryland and UConn. Kid didn't get into UConn, got full scholly to Syracuse, into Maryland, went to NYU. Back in the early 90s. Maryland for some reason has a lot of tri-state area people applying there.

zls44

Reaction Score
I think MD takes a comparably high percentage of out if state students. Need the tuition.

Reaction Score
Yes it was. They controlled the venue and ticket sales.

You have to wonder if this arrangement with MD and Barclays was a push by the B!G to get into the NYC markets and that the invite for UConn was also orchestrated by the B!G. It was a great environment for the UConn team to get a major opponent at the beginning of the season, against a hostile crowd but enough UConn crowd to reduce the degree of hostility. I like this venue even if it was only confined to the season of bb. I like it more if the B!G is exploring the future potential of UConn in it's conference.

All in all it was a strong net positive for UConn.

if it was a test of our grip on the NY market we failed miserably. i had a great time but it was embarrassing how much red was in that arena.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm missing something.

If UConn doesn't get credit for winning an away game, something is really wrong. If someone at UConn negotiated a "neutral site" game where the other team controlled the tickets and provided the announcer, graphics, band and cheerleaders, that person should be fired.

If this wasn't a road game, there's no excuse for what took place. We're not some DIII team who sells home-court advantage for cash, are we?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
if it was a test of our grip on the NY market we failed miserably. i had a great time but it was embarrassing how much red was in that arena.
I'm holding judgment until numbers are presented regarding media viewership in the New York and CT DMA's.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Back in the early 90s. Maryland for some reason has a lot of tri-state area people applying there.
I graduated HS in 1996, and in Fairfield County Maryland was a hot school to apply to...

Reaction Score

I'm always surprised by this reaction since UConn has not traveled to NYC early season games in a long while. I've seen Florida St., Arizona St., Georgia Tech, Utah, all at MSG, all in November, and there simply weren't that many UConn fans there. This was in the late 1990s and around 2004. Yet you look at UConn-St John's games hen SJ was good, or even Seton Hall games at Rutherford, and you always have a lot of UConn fans. Admittedly, I've only been to 2 at the old NJ arena, but the place was practically half-filled with UConn fans. Last time I was there was 2002, Caron Butler's first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom