Conference re-alignment sucked, but UConn Football is in the right place to earn their ticket out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Conference re-alignment sucked, but UConn Football is in the right place to earn their ticket out

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While ECU has a good program I don't know if I'd say they beat a couple of those schools on a regular basis.

They beat UNC the last two years to get to 4-12-1.

Since 1993 they are 2-11 against VPI.

They have beat up on bad State teams and have split the last 8 and are 12-16.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
ECU is actually a surprisingly good athletic program. They have a beautiful football stadium and draw 50,000 per game. They regularly beat North Carolina North Carolina State and VA Tech in football. They are part of the North Carolina school system. ECU is actually larger than the University of North Carolina.
They have a decent football team as well as baseball. The rest of the athletic program is pure suck.

Reaction Score
Going through ucon's accomplishments wasn't there a bcs appearance?

Has that become such a negative it isn't considered an accomplishment, or an accidental oversight?

Reaction Score
While ECU has a good program I don't know if I'd say they beat a couple of those schools on a regular basis.

They beat UNC the last two years to get to 4-12-1.

Since 1993 they are 2-11 against VPI.

They have beat up on bad State teams and have split the last 8 and are 12-16.

True regularly should be recently as ECU has gone 5-5 vs. NC, NC State and VA Tech in the last 4 years. The last two NC wins were impressive 70-41 and 55-31! They are 2-2 in past 4 years. They are 1-3 vs. VA Tech winning 28-21 in 2014 and losing two close ones, 15-10 and 17-10 respectively. They beat NC State twice in a row 42-28 and 33-27.

ECU is a great example of what the rest of the American teams needs to do against the P5. Being someone who enjoys rooting for the underdog, I am interested in seeing how the American fares against the P5 this season.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of something that has been nagging at me. What if the AAC can become one of the "p6?" Obviously, if this is UConn's long-term landing spot this would be awesome. However, I'd even welcome it if we moved on to anther conference (I personally think the B1G is the best fit with the most "peer institutions."). Let the AAC recruit like-minded institutions and let them have a seat at the grown up table. Even if we stay in the AAC, that obviously works for me. I'm sure that works for UConn adminstration too.

I've always been of the mindset that this football programs' only way out is to make the best of the current situation. No P5 conference is ever going to touch them if they can't even get out of the basement of a presumably inferior, second-tier conference. They need to be competing for conference championships even semi-regularly before they can expect invites from the B1G, Big XII or ACC; much like the Patriots compete for championships routinely. Brand alone is not enough to get them anywhere. They need a product (on the football field specifically) to go along with the brand. They need to begin taking their presence in this conference seriously before a P5 conference ever takes them seriously as a program.

I always noticed that until the newest uniforms debuted, their conference patches always looked disposable, as though they could simply be peeled off at any given moment to reveal a B1G or ACC patch underneath. Now, the conference logo actually looks like it's part of their uniforms, like the rest of their conference foes. Sounds ridiculous, but this is a small sign to me that this current coaching staff, headed by Diaco, recognize that they need to at least compete if not dominate in this conference in order to earn the right to a power conference bid. Whereas HCPP just seemed like he was just biding time and going through the motions until another conference came knocking on the door, Diaco at least appears to have a reasonably grounded vision and trajectory for this program.

Reaction Score
No P5 conference is ever going to touch them if they can't even get out of the basement of a presumably inferior, second-tier conference. They need to be competing for conference championships even semi-regularly before they can expect invites from the B1G, Big XII or ACC....

First, not every team in the B1G is a dominant program and the expectation level is not that we have to be Michigan or OSU tomorrow. Secondly, we have shown that we can compete against teams like Michigan, Indiana, Iowa State, etc... Third, P5 admission is a self fulfilling prophecy. Just look at Rutgers and their recruiting uptick. The minute we are in the B1G our recruiting capabilities improve dramatically just by affiliation. Finally, the p5 is like an excusive country club...it has nothing to do with inherent superiority or deserving to be there. It has everything to do with the privilege of legacy - better revenue, better exposure, better recruiting, better staffs, etc... We can fit into the B1G tomorrow and the B1G would be better for it across all sports, and even football would see a vast improvement. One reason UConn succeeded so early on was the quality of it opponents in the Big East. Its a whole lot easier recruiting a kid saying "hey, you got a great shot of laying time as we build, and better yet you can square up against Pitt, BC, VTech, etc.."

Reaction Score
First, not every team in the B1G is a dominant program and the expectation level is not that we have to be Michigan or OSU tomorrow. Secondly, we have shown that we can compete against teams like Michigan, Indiana, Iowa State, etc... Third, P5 admission is a self fulfilling prophecy. Just look at Rutgers and their recruiting uptick. The minute we are in the B1G our recruiting capabilities improve dramatically just by affiliation. Finally, the p5 is like an excusive country club...it has nothing to do with inherent superiority or deserving to be there. It has everything to do with the privilege of legacy - better revenue, better exposure, better recruiting, better staffs, etc... We can fit into the B1G tomorrow and the B1G would be better for it across all sports, and even football would see a vast improvement. One reason UConn succeeded so early on was the quality of it opponents in the Big East. Its a whole lot easier recruiting a kid saying "hey, you got a great shot of laying time as we build, and better yet you can square up against Pitt, BC, VTech, etc.."

I agree with you on everything but the second point, because bottom line, it's about how the program is perceived now, not five years ago. It's always about "what have you done for me lately", and lately, with the exception of the UCF game, they can barely hold off or compete against FCS opponents in recent years, let alone share the same field as traditional FBS programs. They don't necessarily need to dominate, but they do need to start being routinely recognized as legitimate contenders in this conference along with the likes of Cincinnati and UCF, because simply returning to mediocrity isn't going to be enough to garner them a bid to a P5 conference.

"Yay, we're a .500 team again!!! B1G should be calling any minute now!!"

They need to be a routine contender to even have a realistic shot. Being mediocre or sub-mediocre isn't going to cut it anymore. It hasn't before, so it certainly won't now. The depths of their recent struggles has been convenient justification for P5 conferences to further disregard UConn. Am I insinuating that it's some widespread, corrupt conspiracy of Monkey in the Middle? No. And I'm not at all suggesting that this all needs to happen overnight. It should go without saying that it takes years to build a program. But UConn needs not only to return to competitiveness, but to make a substantial statement beyond brand recognition alone as to why it belongs in a P5 conference. Sorry to say, but notable wins from a handful of years ago isn't going to do much to make that case, along with the recent stretch of sub .500, bowl-less seasons. They dropped a lead in 2013 to what would turn out to be a fledgling Michigan program. That Indiana win was over ten years ago. The Notre Dame upset is going on six years now. That South Carolina bowl win was just as long ago.

This program needs not only wins, but notable wins in the present and going forward. Wins over BYU and/or Missouri would go a long way toward adding to that catalog of notable wins. If they could do that en route to an 8 or 9 win regular season, that would be even sweeter, but I won't get ahead of myself.

Outside of that, I agree with everything else you said about the benefits of being in a P5 conference. But this program has to get there first. They can't wallow about their past successes and expect to get there. They have to compete and contend presently, or at least in the fairly immediate future assuming all goes well under Diaco.

Reaction Score
I always noticed that until the newest uniforms debuted, their conference patches always looked disposable, as though they could simply be peeled off at any given moment to reveal a B1G or ACC patch underneath. Now, the conference logo actually looks like it's part of their uniforms, like the rest of their conference foes. Sounds ridiculous, but this is a small sign to me that this current coaching staff, headed by Diaco, recognize that they need to at least compete if not dominate in this conference in order to earn the right to a power conference bid. Whereas HCPP just seemed like he was just biding time and going through the motions until another conference came knocking on the door, Diaco at least appears to have a reasonably grounded vision and trajectory for this program.

You had me until this part.

What?

Reaction Score
You had me until this part.

What?

Exhibit A:

image.jpg

In 2013, the Big East officially dissolved into what is now known as the American Athletic Conference. Note above how the conference patch looks more like a last-minute tailoring modification to the jerseys, rather than actually being part of the uniform. Literally no other team in the conference had conference patches that looked anything like that. Little subtleties like that always signaled to me that this athletic department always had one foot in and one foot out of this conference since its inception in 2013. Meanwhile, other teams like Cincinnati and UCF not only had no problem embracing their newly christened conference, but dominated it along with the likes of Louisville to become the cream of the crop.

Fast forward to 2015.

Exhibit B:

image.jpg

New 2015 uniforms actually show a conference patch that is actually engraved into the jersey rather than looking like a cheap jacket patch. Could it be that the Huskies have finally embraced their new home rather than waiting by the phone for the B1G to entertain them with an invitation bid??? We shall see...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exhibit A:

View attachment 9874

In 2013, the Big East officially dissolved into what is now known as the American Athletic Conference. Note above how the conference patch looks more like a last-minute tailoring modification to the jerseys, rather than actually being part of the uniform. Literally no other team in the conference had conference patches that looked anything like that. Little subtleties like that always signaled to me that this athletic department always had one foot in and one foot out of this conference since its inception in 2013. Meanwhile, other teams like Cincinnati and UCF not only had no problem embracing their newly christened conference, but dominated it along with the likes of Louisville to become the cream of the crop.

Fast forward to 2015.

Exhibit B:

View attachment 9875

New 2015 uniforms actually show a conference patch that is actually engraved into the jersey rather than looking like a cheap jacket patch. Could it be that the Huskies have finally embraced their new home rather than waiting by the phone for the B1G to entertain them with an invitation bid??? We shall see...
Sub-legacy needs a sub-lunacy patch

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Exhibit A:

View attachment 9874

Fast forward to 2015.

Exhibit B:

View attachment 9875

Or the uniforms were manufactured with the Big East logo and had to be changed for the new one.

Reaction Score
Or the uniforms were manufactured with the Big East logo and had to be changed for the new one.

For two consecutive years? Suddenly UConn is too cheap to update their jerseys with the proper logos? Plus they weren't the only team to carry over from the Big East, yet they were apparently the only program to have that problem.

Either way, bottom line is they need to go all in with the conference they're in now and stop worrying about the P5 for awhile. Same goes to the fan base.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That section of the country "Va's/Carolina's" have great fans and their growing...can't think of many I'd rather see than Marshall!?!ECU is in a good place right here in the AAC "for now"!! Remember little old SMU in the seventies? The Pony Express? Whodathunk then they would fall off the face of the FB map then?

"Pony" died. Had to carry too much Booster gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom