Comparison of Bazz and Boat | The Boneyard

Comparison of Bazz and Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simply not fair as each had different team to work with. I am huge Bazz guy and same with Boat. When I hear commentators say Boat isn't Bazz I feel it's unfair. All the kids are different and I appreciate every minute we get to watch Boat in our colors

Reaction Score
It is disappointing the team Ollie and his staff surrounded Boat with for his last year. Only thing worse is basically a Adams as a frosh for Boatright trade next year when in reality we needed at least 3 high level impact freshman to increase the depth and talent on the roster and help off set the Boat graduation. With all due respect to scrappy, We are cutting it way too close right now with the talent level. We are in a rock fight at the half at home with a less than 100% Memphis team that is mediocrity personified.

Reaction Score
Boat said it best.

"If you go through life trying to compare yourself to other people, you'll never be satisfied," he said. "I've done the best I can. I've put 110 percent into this team and my teammates and into everything we've got going on with this program. If you like what I did, I appreciate it and thanks for the support and if you don't, so be it. I did the best I could, and I think my teammates would agree with me, and my coaches."

Reaction Score
I agree. Additionally, I think that Shabazz was a natural born leader who made everyone around him better, much like Kemba. While Boatright has similar stats as Shabazz, he doesn't have the same leadership qualities as Shabazz did.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Shabazz had RB. RB does not have Bazz, or a Bazz equivalent.

In my mind that is the most significant difference between the two players in their senior years.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Stop underestimating Boats leadership... I know Bazz was a great leader..But the guys on this team look at Boat with that same look that Bazz got...They follow his every step & word.. He always giving 100%...Thats all you can ask for as a leader

Reaction Score
Boat had a rough game but this one game, just because it was senior night, doesn't take away with what he brought to the table this year. He was really good all year, and there's some more left, let's wait.

Reaction Score
Leave Boat alone, Purvis, TSam and Calhoun surely didn't have his back. A lot of players had Bazz' back.

Boat tried his best, and to attack him on senior night, his last game at Gampel is fukked up!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You're comparing Ryan Boatright, who is equipped with one of the worst UConn teams since James Naismith's birth, to Shabazz Napier. One of the best college point guards of all-time...seems legit.

Reaction Score
I think its easy to say the Boat is not Bazz or Kemba in taking his team to the NCAA Championship. Bazz had more to work to work with. Kemba didnt. But Ollie not ready to take this team. He is a good coach but this not our year!

Reaction Score
Wow! For people not to understand the talent surrounding Boat this year is astounding when you compare Kemba and Bazz to him. It's different from game to game who doesn't show up but the net result is not enough help.

Reaction Score
Comparisons are made and hopefully you look at the players surrounding them as well as what they brought to the table. I mean to say they were in the order of Kemba, Bazz and Boat is only an opinion so whatever anyone thinks, we should be lucky to have had these 3 guys back-to-back-to-back here.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Boat had a rough game but this one game, just because it was senior night, doesn't take away with what he brought to the table this year. He was really good all year, and there's some more left, let's wait.

Boat really didnt have a bad game...Lots of things went wrong in that 2nd half.. Were up 4 I think and Samuel is pulling up for a 3, purvis was non existent and tried to take that shot that got blocked when honestly all we had to do was get to the bucket and draw a foul (& if anyones shooting a jumper it better be dham or boat), then we got called for way to many fouls on that final possession giving them a new shot clock. I wouldve liked to see a better call from Ollie instead of a boatright iso which he had to defer to purvis.. All you needed was boatright to run baseline with a double screen and he either loses his man or pump fakes and draws an easy foul from the corner. No way memphis wouldnt have bit on a pump fake on that possession from Boat. They knew he was getting the ball and they had so much adrenaline.

Reaction Score
It is disappointing the team Ollie and his staff surrounded Boat with for his last year. Only thing worse is basically a Adams as a frosh for Boatright trade next year when in reality we needed at least 3 high level impact freshman to increase the depth and talent on the roster and help off set the Boat graduation. With all due respect to scrappy, We are cutting it way too close right now with the talent level. We are in a rock fight at the half at home with a less than 100% Memphis team that is mediocrity personified.
I'm not going to blame this on Ollie. I'm going to blame this on our two top 30 wings who went a combined 1-11 in a 1 point loss. The talent is there. Amida is the best shot blocker in the country, Boat is the best senior PG. Hamilton is a diaper dandy. Samuel, Nolan, and Facey are championship level role players. This would be a different team if Purvis and Calhoun played at the level they are capable of.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to blame this on Ollie. I'm going to blame this on our two top 30 wings who went a combined 1-11 in a 1 point loss. The talent is there. Amida is the best shot blocker in the country, Boat is the best senior PG. Hamilton is a diaper dandy. Samuel, Nolan, and Facey are championship level role players. This would be a different team if Purvis and Calhoun played at the level they are capable of.
Agree 100%. That position killed us all year. We see what happens when we get production from that position(see SMU) and when we don't(see too many to count)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Boat has been a great player for us but he simply isn't Bazz or Kemba IQ wise. He gives it 110% and is a better defensive player than the both and has tremendous heart but he simply doesn't take over the game like the other 2 did when the time came. He doesn't control the refs and get his teammates good looks like the former did and that's just that. Even on the last shot of the game there's no way you're telling me that's a good shot. He had a great 4 years here and he gave it his all this year but his all simply wasn't good enough.

Reaction Score
Neither Purvis or Calhoun are have great body control or good ball skills so if their shot is not falling what is their backup way to score? Purvis is a bull driving in the lane which sometimes works. Omar has no midrange game. But I don't expect them to magically change next year, oh sure ther's room for some improvement,but this is what they are.

Reaction Score
Neither Purvis or Calhoun are have great body control or good ball skills so if their shot is not falling what is their backup way to score? Purvis is a bull driving in the lane which sometimes works. Omar has no midrange game. But I don't expect them to magically change next year, oh sure ther's room for some improvement,but this is what they are.

Reaction Score

The result of being in a non-P5 conference. Eventually it will reduce all UConn sports to a mid-level, mediorce program.

Reaction Score
Boat has done very well this year. No knock on him. The rest of this team is inconsistent at best and a typical of real UConn talent at worse. Wait til next year to feel the pain and frustration. Is team is weak at times, but let's see next year without Boat.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Boat has done very well this year. No knock on him. The rest of this team is inconsistent at best and a typical of real UConn talent at worse. Wait til next year to feel the pain and frustration. Is team is weak at times, but let's see next year without Boat.
Bazz and Kemba's teams weren't up and down all year? Let's take a look at these teams side by side for a second.

2011 2014 2015
Kemba Bazz Boat
Lamb Boat Purvis
Smith Giffey Hamilton
Tyler DD Phil
Oriaki Amida Amida (soph)

Bazz Phil Facey
Giffey Kromah Samuels
Beverly Tyler Calhoun
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel Calhoun
Okwandu

You can't tell me this team didn't have just as much if not more talent than those other teams. Not to mention we've played a MUCH easier schedule than the former seasons. I said this season would depend on Boat being able to lift others up and set guys up the way Kemba and Bazz did and that hasn't happened. I understand Bazz had Boat but Bazz also had a huge part of being an on the court coach for Boat to keep him under control and calm down. Something we haven't seen from Boat with Purvis.

Boat has great heart and motor like I said before and plays lights out defense but this season we basically saw why he isn't considered a 1st round pick like the likes of Bazz and Kemba. He simply can't set his teammates up or play the game with enough discipline to be an NBA PG. This team has A LOT of talent that just hasn't been put in spots to succeed all season. Which is on the PG. No excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom