Comparing Possible Divisions for UConn in AAC ACC and B1G | The Boneyard

Comparing Possible Divisions for UConn in AAC ACC and B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What would be best for UConn assuming that it would be placed in the following likely divisions?

AAC Division (assumes east/west divisions)
UConn
East Carolina
Navy
UCF
USF
Temple

ACC Division (assumes "old Big East" division vs. "old ACC" division)
Boston College
UConn
Louisville
Miami
Notre Dame (assumes ND joins ACC, precipitating UConn invite)
Pitt
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

B1G Division (assumes east/west divisions)
UConn
Indiana (replaced by an east coast team, if one was selected in addition to UConn)
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

I would rank the AAC above the ACC in terms of potential, with the B1G as the best place for UConn long term.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My point was to look 2 steps down the road (e.g., our focus should be building the AAC, with the ultimate objective of getting in the B1G... as opposed to even focusing on the ACC) ...

I know that might be a hard concept for some of you ;-)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My point was to look 2 steps down the road...I know that might be a hard concept for some of you ;-)

No, that's not what's hard for us. What's hard for us is looking at a road and calling it a river...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong; there is probably no bigger supporter of the AAC on this board than me (well, perhaps with the exception of MikeinManila, obviously). I'm rooting for the conference to succeed. I really am. I know that if the conference succeeds, it's better for UConn, and I'm always going to root for what's best for UConn.

But the idea that we would have a division in 2015 that is better than the ACC or B1G divisions in 2015 is just silly talk...

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong; there is probably no bigger supporter of the AAC on this board than me (well, perhaps with the exception of MikeinManila, obviously). I'm rooting for the conference to succeed. I really am. I know that if the conference succeeds, it's better for UConn, and I'm always going to root for what's best for UConn.

But the idea that we would have a division in 2015 that is better than the ACC or B1G divisions in 2015 is just silly talk...

You need to read more closely... I clearly say the B1G is the best place for UConn. Better to have us win championships in the AAC and aim for a B1G invite.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You need to read more closely... I clearly say the B1G is the best place for UConn. My point is I don't see a great upside for the ACC for UConn long term. Better to have us win championships in the AAC and aim for a B1G invite.

YOU need to read more closely, as I used the word "or"! Holy moly, dude. Holy moly.

By the way, Huskymedic was not trying to be funny by referring to a real town in WV. He was trying to be funny by likening you to a couple of famous West Virginian twitterverse characters who chat about conference realignment from their respective moms' basements. That's the level of crazy that your thread has reached. I'm not trying to rag on you, but come on, dude. It's just not the reality, and you should know it!

Do you want me to humor you? Okay, I'll humor you. Line up the AAC prospective division in order of best team to worst team. Then, do the same for the ACC. Then, compare them by number, making an argument for why you would keep the AAC team over the ACC team in that slot. I can't wait to see how this plays out...

Reaction Score
YOU need to read more closely, as I used the word "or"! Holy moly, dude. Holy moly.

By the way, Huskymedic was not trying to be funny by referring to a real town in WV. He was trying to be funny by likening you to a couple of famous West Virginian twitterverse characters who chat about conference realignment from their respective moms' basements. That's the level of crazy that your thread has reached. I'm not trying to rag on you, but come on, dude. It's just not the reality, and you should know it!

Do you want me to humor you? Okay, I'll humor you. Line up the AAC prospective division in order of best team to worst team. Then, do the same for the ACC. Then, compare them by number, making an argument for why you would keep the AAC team over the ACC team in that slot. I can't wait to see how this plays out...

I got the WV reference...and it was funny.

Anyway, I am looking down the road. The AAC has more potential than many on this Board claim. No one would claim that the AAC is on par with the ACC today, but given a better TV contract, the gap will close with the ACC faster than many people think (assuming AAC stays intact). I don't think UConn is doomed if we win AAC championships as we aim for a B1G invite.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Anyway, I am looking down the road. The AAC has more potential than many on this Board claim. No one would claim that the AAC is on par with the ACC today, but given a better TV contract, the gap will close with the ACC faster than many people think (assuming AAC stays intact). I don't think UConn is doomed if we win AAC championships as we aim for a B1G invite.

On the condition of a better tv contract, we could close the gap with the ACC? But...but I thought you said we would be better than the ACC.

Look...again, I believe that the AAC has some potential, and I believe that winning the conference would go a long way in helping UConn. But that is a VASTLY different conversation than the one you started the thread with. Just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Of course winning the league you're in is always the goal, but if you're paying attention, the P5 is trying to turn all others outside the cartel into serfs and mules. I'm going on a hunch, but the AAC, isn't going to be part of something called the P6.

Reaction Score
On the condition of a better tv contract, we could close the gap with the ACC? But...but I thought you said we would be better than the ACC.

No, I never said we would be better in the ACC long term (maybe a typo on your part...or you are just confused). The AAC gives UConn the opportunity to leapfrog our local rivals if they are basically cellar dwellers and we are winning championships.

Look...again, I believe that the AAC has some potential, and I believe that winning the conference would go a long way in helping UConn. But that is a VASTLY different conversation than the one you started the thread with. Just sayin'...

No.... I was trying to point out that based on our likely division opponents in the AAC, ACC or B1G, we would be better off just focusing on winning championships in the AAC than chasing the ACC...and that longer term the B1G is our best opportunity (i.e., I don't think the ACC offers that much more to UConn than the AAC...IF the TV money gap can be significantly reduced - which I think it will - and UConn is winning championships)

Reaction Score
If the ACC or B1G invite us as #15 full-time and noone else then they have to move to 3 pods of 5 right? B1G would be Uconn/RU/PSU/Maryland/Mich St? ACC would be Uconn/BC/Cuse/Pitt/Virginia?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No.... I was trying to point out that based on our likely division opponents in the AAC, ACC or B1G, we would be better off just focusing on winning championships in the AAC than chasing the ACC...and that longer term the B1G is our best opportunity (i.e., I don't think the ACC offers that much more to UConn than the AAC...IF the TV money gap can be significantly reduced - which I think it will - and UConn is winning championships)

I won't say any more on this thread beyond this last post, because it is a ridiculous thread to start with. Here are my final points:

1) Our "focus" on winning championships is not hurt by "chasing the ACC".

2) The tv money grap is more likely to grow than to shrink. If you don't know the reasons why, after a million threads on the subject, then I'm not going to attempt to explain them to you now.

3) We're already better than our local rivals; we do not need to leap-frog them. The issue is whether the tv money gap will allow them over time to leap-frog us.

I'm saying all of this, even though I am wholeheartedly rooting for the AAC to succeed as a conference.

Enjoy the rest of this crazy crazy thread...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The TV money gap isn't going to be reduced one bit. We're adding Tulsa to the conference, not OU. If the AAC added a brand like BYU or even Boise, then it would be able to renegotiate and get a tiny bump. But we're not going to get anywhere close to P5 TV money while we're in the AAC. UCONN's revenue stream will be primarily sourced by the Nike contract, tickets and merchandise and any kind of T3 SNY deal they are able to farm out. The $2M/yr it gets from the AAC won't even pay for the gas needed to travel to our conference mates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Pass the Doche to the Right...I think he has had more than enough, he's had your share, and my share!

Reaction Score
The TV money gap isn't going to be reduced one bit. We're adding Tulsa to the conference, not OU. If the AAC added a brand like BYU or even Boise, then it would be able to renegotiate and get a tiny bump. But we're not going to get anywhere close to P5 TV money while we're in the AAC. UCONN's revenue stream will be primarily sourced by the Nike contract, tickets and merchandise and any kind of T3 SNY deal they are able to farm out. The $2M/yr it gets from the AAC won't even pay for the gas needed to travel to our conference mates.

Can't see AAC's ridiculously low TV deal staying at $2M/yr if AAC teams continue to win major bowls and NCs. But I guess, we'll see....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
...I don't think the ACC offers that much more to UConn than the AAC...

This is nuts. The ACC is light years better in every imaginable way. With UConn, it would be the top basketball league by miles. It has great baseball.With Louisville, it would have three of the 8 teams from last years CWS. It has academic heavyweights and only one read dud (Louisville), compare to the AAC, which is mostly duds. It has three regional rivals, in BC, Cuse and Pitt, where the AAC has none. It would have, if it had UConn, the current football and basketball natonal champion.

I understand the appeal of the B1G, and it mostly relates to two things in my mind (1) we are a little hurt that the ACC has spurned us for other dance partners on at least two occasions and (2) from a football perspective, Michigan, OSU, Nebraska and Penn State are "larger than life" programs, and we think it would be cool to be in the club with them. But apart from that, it's a pretty close call. Basketball would be close either way. FSU, Clemson, VT and Miami aren't exactly nobody in the football world and sure as hell top anybody in the AAC as a visiting squad you want to see.

If the B1G is a Porsche 911, the ACC is a BMW M3, and the ACC is a rusty Kia....that won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom