Comparing 2014 Starting 5 to 2002 Starting 5...which one is better? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Comparing 2014 Starting 5 to 2002 Starting 5...which one is better?

Which starting 5 was better

• 2001-02

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • 2013-14

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Asjha Jones and Stef Dolson went up for a rebound, Asjha would come down with it. If Stewie and Tamika Williams went up for a rebound, Tamika would come down with it and Stewie would be horizontal, looking in vain at the referee for a foul call.

If Asjha decided take a 15-foot fadeaway jump shot, Stef couldn't block it. Asjha probably couldn't get up high enough to block Stef's shot either, but a higher percentage of Asjha's shots would go in.

Swin could get any shot she wanted against KML's defense, and might well get KML in foul trouble. She would prevent KML from getting open looks for 3 without a lot of help from screeners.

I think Stewart and Taurasi are comparable in offensive talent. If either one had a big game and the other didn't, her team would win. I think Diana would be slightly more likely to do that.

The most interesting question is "Geno then" vs. "Geno now". I think Geno now is a much better coach, for two reasons:

1. [ ]at the technical level, he and CD have mastered the speed / transition game, probably by studying NBA and men's college film quite a bit. The 2002 team didn't have two fast guards, but beyond that, their transition game wasn't as systematic or as multi-faceted as what the 2014 team does. (Ask Vivian Stringer.)
    [ ]at the human level, Geno is becoming more seasoned -- less like Bobby Knight and more like John Wooden. I think that produces better, more consistent results.
So the game could go either way, but I would favor the 2002 team to win by about 6 points.
1. Swin by minute ten of the first half would be seeing stars from the number of times she got decked trying to chase KML around Stef screens. :rolleyes:Agree - she is a terrible match-up for KML, but KML doesn't have to guard her more than 15 feet away from the basket so Stewart/Stef would be able to help and with neither Asjha nor Tamika a threat from more than 15 ft the rotation doesn't cause that much trouble.
2. Asjha would be spitting out bits of rubber from the number of her shots that bounced back into her face from Stewart blocks :rolleyes:(that would be the defensive match-up I think.)
3. Tamika would not be able to shoot over Dolson, but Dolson would be shooting 70% unless she got help at which time KML, Stewart, Bria, or Moriah would be draining open threes. :rolleyes:

The fact is, 2002 would not have been able to guard either Dolson or Stewart one on one and would have needed help. I think 2014 could play 2002 pretty much straight up. And while Asjha and Tamika and Swin were very good rebounders - they would be being pulled much further from the basket than they were used to in 2002 and would not be in as good position for defensive rebounds.
As for the back court Sue and DT were incomparable but foot speed was never their strong suit nor were they either all that dynamic as defenders - Bria and Moriah would likely cause them serious trouble with their speed and quickness - on defense they would be able to play tight without being passed and on offense they should both be able to get pass Sue and DT.

Actually the fact is neither of these teams have played a team as good as the other so it would be pretty exciting and in a best of three I would take 2014, but on a winner take all one game deal, I would keep my money in my pocket.

Reaction Score
I'd go with 01-02. At the start of this season I thought this team could match 01-02 but that was before the injuries hit. DT is better than Bria and imo "it ain't slightly." It's not a rout either. But Geno had spoken of the play he cleared out for DT to get the big basket which fouled out Stacey and clinched the game- he could have run that isolation play any time he wanted but he didn't want to play like that. DT would be too big for the UCONN guards. It's not a slight to Bria. It's just a bad matchup. She's too small.

And I'm clearly taking the sr Cash vs the jr KML.

IMO the 01-02 team would have roughed up this team on the glass unless they used Stokes and move Stewie to sf. Then you're trading Stokes for KML. The 01-02 team had 3 sr's that were tenacious rebounders. I believe potential foul trouble for this 13-14 team vs 01-02 is likely.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'll let you know after the season.

I'm pretty certain the 2002 team would beat this years ND team by 20.

Let's see how the 20013-14 team does.

Reaction Score
re 2002: on april 6, after the tourney , they played a red vs white game in hartford. what was that all about?
and, name the 4 assistant coaches on that team, without looking it up.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's my thinking: the 2002 starting five featured four of the top six WNBA draft picks plus Diana, who was a WBCA AA (as will be Bria this season). Now, the 2014 team has a starting five who might eventually be high first-rounders. However, if they all entered the draft today. I think Stewie is the #1 pick, and Stef and Bria have a chance, but that's it. All told, four top-six picks and a WBCA AA is tough to beat. Additionally, the Sue-D backcourt is a big advantage to 2002, and the frontcourt, even given the size of 2014, wouldn't be much of an edge for 2014 if at all. It would be interesting to have Kiah in there though- three 6'2" players against 6'3", 6'4" and 6'5". So based on my thoughts, I'm going with 2002.

If you were to enter them in the 2002 draft class in place of the 4 Huskies that were drafted, I bet you'd have KML/Stewart/Dolson/Hartley in the top 6 and Jefferson top 10.

It's also worth noting that the 2002 draft was also one of the weaker drafts in WNBA history. Outside of the top 6, Maiga Ba and Michelle Snow, nobody lasted more than a few seasons. This was also a time when there were 16 teams and 12 players per team (compared to today, 12 teams and 11 players per team) and there was less talent across the league so it was much easier to stick around compared to today.

Of the 2002 AP All Americans, the only non UCONN seniors to make one of the top 3 AP All American team are Stacey Dales (1st), Angie Welle (2nd), Sheila Lambert (3rd) and Linda Frohlich (3rd).

In 2000 no sophomores made any of the top 3 teams, and in 2001 no juniors made one of the top 2 teams. Only Bird, Deanna Jackson, and Angie Welle were named as 3rd Team All-Americans. Not exactly a loaded draft class.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'll let you know after the season.

I'm pretty certain the 2002 team would beat this years ND team by 20.

Let's see how the 20013-14 team does.

I believe the 2002 team could beat ND 2014 by 20, though one wonders why (other than "fecal matter occurs") Virginia Tech and Oklahoma proved to be more robust challenges.

We definitely may have to see how 2013-14 does against ND; they appear to be on a season-long collision course reminiscent of UConn and Stanford in 2010.

One note: as I recall, 2002 had three WBCA AAs (Swin, Diana, Sue). Will this 2014 incarnation have as many? Breanna is a "yes", and Bria is a "probably". What about Mo and/or Stef (who was a WBCA AA last year but [ut up somewhat more modest stats)?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you were to enter them in the 2002 draft class in place of the 4 Huskies that were drafted, I bet you'd have KML/Stewart/Dolson/Hartley in the top 6 and Jefferson top 10.

It's also worth noting that the 2002 draft was also one of the weaker drafts in WNBA history. Outside of the top 6, Maiga Ba and Michelle Snow, nobody lasted more than a few seasons. This was also a time when there were 16 teams and 12 players per team (compared to today, 12 teams and 11 players per team) and there was less talent across the league so it was much easier to stick around compared to today.

Of the 2002 AP All Americans, the only non UCONN seniors to make one of the top 3 AP All American team are Stacey Dales (1st), Angie Welle (2nd), Sheila Lambert (3rd) and Linda Frohlich (3rd).

In 2000 no sophomores made any of the top 3 teams, and in 2001 no juniors made one of the top 2 teams. Only Bird, Deanna Jackson, and Angie Welle were named as 3rd Team All-Americans. Not exactly a loaded draft class.

Just to clarify, I stated initially and agree with you that the WNBA will eventually draft a bunch of our kids from the 2013-14 team and draft them high. However, If everyone on this team from any graduating class were able to enter the 2014 WNBA draft, they probably wouldn't be top-six picks (other than Stewie, who would probably be #1 at the tail end of her sophomore season.

If you're comparing 2002 and 2014, you have to take into account how good the 2002 team was as seniors (and D a sophomore), with 2014 being two sophomores, a junior (oft sidelined at that), and two seniors.

Reaction Score
Don't give Baylor too much credit.

Don't worry, that wasn't my intention. No Baylor team would be close to the 2002 team. But next year UCONN will be really, really good. If Morgan comes back healthy, KML is healthy, I think they might be as good as 2002. Moriah, Kiah and Stewie with more experience. If either Brianna, Saniya or one of the crew of guards coming in step up, it will be one heck of a starting five.

51 TO GO

Reaction Score
I thought the 01-02 Sooners team was one of the toughest finals opponents UCONN ever had to deal with. I believe they had three first round WNBA draft picks plus a couple of other upperclassmen that year.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208400950

I can remember the game vs ODU. They were on a roll at the end of the year, and we went ahead in the first half and played nearly perfect basketball and just blew them out. I believe for any of you thathave the old tapes of championship seasons, Geno is talking of that half as if it was perfect. I believe they hit nearly every shot. We tend to forget about these things.

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
KML<Cash (KML>Cash when healthy)
Stewart>Williams
Dolson>Jones
In the end...which starting 5 (at the time they played) do you think is better?

2002 would almost certainly outrebound 14.

I love KML. I love her game. I've loved watching her progress and expand the things she can do. I can't wait to watch her next year. However: Swin Cash would put 20 on her if not more. No one could stop Swin. No one. KML certainly wouldn't be able to. You'd probably have to put Breanna on her and even then, Swin wouldn't really be stopped.

Tamika Williams. Is there a more underrated player of her talent level in UConn history?

Reaction Score
Wally I agree Tamika Williams was amazing, injuries sidelined her a little towards the end of her career... she was the first of the four to hit 1000 points, she was the number 1 recruit in that group... she was excellent. I agree that she is underrated. However you asked if there is a more underrated player. Ashja Jones! She was a stud! She did it all.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, I stated initially and agree with you that the WNBA will eventually draft a bunch of our kids from the 2013-14 team and draft them high. However, If everyone on this team from any graduating class were able to enter the 2014 WNBA draft, they probably wouldn't be top-six picks (other than Stewie, who would probably be #1 at the tail end of her sophomore season.

If you're comparing 2002 and 2014, you have to take into account how good the 2002 team was as seniors (and D a sophomore), with 2014 being two sophomores, a junior (oft sidelined at that), and two seniors.

2014 looks to be a stronger class than 2002....if you take the 2002 UCONN class and put the 4 graduating seniors in 2014's draft, I'd have a hard time believing that Cash, Jones, and Williams would be all be in the top 6. On the contrary, I think had UCONN's current starting 5 eligible for the WNBA draft in 2002, I wouldn't be stunned to see 4 Huskies in the top 6.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I love KML. I love her game. I've loved watching her progress and expand the things she can do. I can't wait to watch her next year. However: Swin Cash would put 20 on her if not more. No one could stop Swin. No one. KML certainly wouldn't be able to. You'd probably have to put Breanna on her and even then, Swin wouldn't really be stopped.

Tamika Williams. Is there a more underrated player of her talent level in UConn history?

I don't think you'd see KML trying to match up with Cash. I'd expect her to guard Jones and have Stewart on Cash.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Off topic, but I'd say Shea Ralph is the most underrated and overlooked because she didn't have a WNBA career and never played on an undefeated team (although I believe that 99-00 team was better than some of the undefeated UCONN teams) but in my opinion, her individual season in 1999-00 is one of the best in UCONN history. In the title game she dominated with 15 points, 7-8 FG, 7 assists and 6 steals. It's rare that I see her mentioned as one of the top 5 players in UCONN history, but outside of Taurasi and Moore I think she was as good as any other UCONN player that has come through.

Reaction Score
2014 looks to be a stronger class than 2002....if you take the 2002 UCONN class and put the 4 graduating seniors in 2014's draft, I'd have a hard time believing that Cash, Jones, and Williams would be all be in the top 6. On the contrary, I think had UCONN's current starting 5 eligible for the WNBA draft in 2002, I wouldn't be stunned to see 4 Huskies in the top 6.

I'll agree about Williams. Cash and Jones would be top 6. Cash was a star the moment she entered the WNBA. Jones is a perenial pf. Her skills of low post, shooting and rebounding would play out well in any era any time.

And I don't agree with putting KML on Jones. In her sr year- especially late- Jones was a better low post player and could always shoot much better than the others. Frankly, I'd put KML on Tamika. The sr Tamika better than the Jr KML though.

IMO 2001-2002 team not only best UCONN team ever but best college team ever. The "Three sisters" as Swin likes to call them were extremely special.

Last edited:

Wally East

Reaction Score
Wait, Bria has to guard D, right? That's the ball game.

Not sure why that didn't occur to me earlier.

(Yes, Bria is good defender, very good defender, no doubt. But, seriously, this is D.)

Wally East

Reaction Score
Wally I agree Tamika Williams was amazing, injuries sidelined her a little towards the end of her career... she was the first of the four to hit 1000 points, she was the number 1 recruit in that group... she was excellent. I agree that she is underrated. However you asked if there is a more underrated player. Ashja Jones! She was a stud! She did it all.

Ashja has definitely become more and more underrated as time has marched on. Hard to imagine that an Olympian is underrated but there you go.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We did this earlier last summer. Had all 8 NC teams in a voting contest. I'll run it again this summer and include 2014, assuming they do win the NC. (have to have a play-in game :eek:).

Anyway, the 2002 team won that little contest easily (by an average of 76% a game). 2009 came in second. 1995/2000 came in 3rd/4th. (Guess I could have had a 3rd place game.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom