College Football Stipends - What a Joke | The Boneyard

College Football Stipends - What a Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Apparently, it is more expensive to live in the deep south than LA, San Fran, Boston, Seattle, LA, DC or Chicago :rolleyes:. What a joke.

Here are the 'most expensive' schools:

1. Tennessee: $5,666 SEC
2. Auburn: $5,586 SEC
3. Louisville: $5,202 ACC
4. Mississippi State: $5,126 SEC
5. Texas Tech: $5,100 Big XII
6. Penn State: $4,788 B1G
7. TCU: $4,700 Big XII
8. Oklahoma: $4,614 Big XII
9. Oklahoma State: $4,560 Big XII
10. Ole Miss: $4,500 SEC
11. Wisconsin: $4,316 B1G
12. Texas: $4,310 Big XII
13. South Carolina: $4,151 SEC
14. Kansas State: $4,112 Big XII
15. Arkansas: $4,002 SEC

http://chronicle.com/article/At-Least-15...ms/229229/

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You are either intentionally representing the numbers or you don't know what they represent.

The stipend is the difference between the "list" price and the "actual" cost. It is really showing how much hidden cost students pay at each school. Ideally the number would be $0.

Most of the schools listed in the top 15 are in the bottom of actual scholarship value.

The most expensive schools to attend are all private schools and mostly in urban areas.

Northwestern
USC
Stanford
Notre Dame
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
Duke
BCU
Miami
Syracuse

All of those schools have scholarships valued at over $60k/year. Football players there essentially get a $250k education at no cost.

The southern schools that have the highest differential are all towards the bottom of cost of attendance. Not coincidentally many of them have lower academic rankings.

Looking at those numbers University of Florida at $20.5k and Purdue at $23k under the new cost figures are huge bargains.

Reaction Score
I read this in the same way that WHH did. The schools control cost of attendance numbers; so some can choose to underestimate, while others can choose to overestimate.

For the already inexpensive schools, they would seem to have more latitude to inflate the cost number to put a few more dollars in an athletes pocket. Mississippi State is not competing for students with Harvard so perhaps they are not as concerned about scaring off prospective students.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I read this in the same way that WHH did. The schools control cost of attendance numbers; so some can choose to underestimate, while others can choose to overestimate.

For the already inexpensive schools, they would seem to have more latitude to inflate the cost number to put a few more dollars in an athletes pocket. Mississippi State is not competing for students with Harvard so perhaps they are not as concerned about scaring off prospective students.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is saying is this:

"Apparently, it is more expensive to live in the deep south than LA, San Fran, Boston, Seattle, LA, DC or Chicago :rolleyes:. What a joke.

Here are the 'most expensive' schools:"

The numbers in the linked article show it is more expensive to attend private schools in urban areas. None of the schools he listed are expensive.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is saying is this:

"Apparently, it is more expensive to live in the deep south than LA, San Fran, Boston, Seattle, LA, DC or Chicago :rolleyes:. What a joke.

Here are the 'most expensive' schools:"

The numbers in the linked article show it is more expensive to attend private schools in urban areas. None of the schools he listed are expensive.

The stipend is supposed to cover the non-housing costs associated with attending the school. Therefore, when a school offers a more valuable stipend they are asserting that non-housing related costs are higher there than other schools.

Regarding the list price of school, in most instances I don't believe that has any impact on the 'value' of the education either in reality or in the eyes of a recruit. First of all, few pay 'list' price. And second, I don't think anyone would argue that Syracuse provides an education that is twice as good (whatever that means) as UConn.

Reaction Score
The stipend is supposed to cover the non-housing costs associated with attending the school. Therefore, when a school offers a more valuable stipend they are asserting that non-housing related costs are higher there than other schools.

Regarding the list price of school, in most instances I don't believe that has any impact on the 'value' of the education either in reality or in the eyes of a recruit. First of all, few pay 'list' price. And second, I don't think anyone would argue that Syracuse provides an education that is twice as good (whatever that means) as UConn.

When you look at the cost of attendance, it is pretty clear that a number of private schools are in a very challenging LT competitive situation. I'm not talking about the Dukes, Vanderbilts, Stanfords,... but look at Syracuse. Is Syracuse worth 2x+ the cost of UConn, Penn St., Pitt, Rutgers, Ohio St.,...?

pj

Reaction Score
The football arms race is under way. If recruits go where the most discretionary money is, then the will be unceasing escalation in "cost of attendance" by the football factories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom