College Football Playoff | The Boneyard

College Football Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Open Letter to the Boneyard,

After last night's games, it is evident that a playoff was the best thing for college football's post-season (which the ratings will undoubtedly show). In the current four team (and soon to be eight team format), it is evident that the only way into the playoff is through one of the five major conferences. With the new emphasis on "tournament metrics" used by NCAA basketball tourney, things like SOS, RPI, etc will come into play, meaning that teams inside the P5 will look to schedule OOC games against other P5 teams, leaving the mid-majors out in the cold. I know that this has been hashed out a million times on this specific board, but the reality is, if we don't have a shot at getting into the P5 in the next couple of years we have absolutely no chance at getting to the CFP (not even considering the lack of talent our current program is mired in).

The number one goal of every collegiate athletic program, regardless of division or school, should be to win national championships. As the divide between the P5 and the mid-majors becomes more and more evident with the disparity between television money, recruiting, etc what is the point of the non-P5 attempting to compete with the P5? All things considered, we are in serious trouble trying to compete with any P5 school whose program nets 25-40mil more alone from their television deal just on the basis that the schools with more money will eventually win out. Like any other industry, money is everything, and those P5 schools flush with cash will be able to outspend everyone on coaching, recruiting, facilities, amenities that will keep the top talent there.

To sum up my incoherent rambling, if a P5 invite isn't coming in the near future, at what point do the non-P5 realize (and UConn) realize the point of negative return on investment? I know that we and the state have a ton invested in the success of our university and football program, but at the end of the day this is a business. If we aren't succeeding on the field or generating a return for the university, how can we justify continued operations?

-Disgruntled Alumni (Class of 2013) - Football and Men's Bball Season Ticket Holder

Reaction Score
If Ohio State wins it all we will be in the B1G as a junior member in waiting by Valentines day 2015. JD will capitalize on his serious negotiating momentum and cut the deal for the B1G's new contract. Virginia Tech will be our valentine. She inspires us, so we have to be ready for when the moment is right.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Oh good, another "shut down football" thread. This one comes on the heels of one of the most exciting days in college sports showing, once again, football drives the CR bus. If we want to make the same money as our local r1vals do, we have to play football. If we want to continue to be good at basketball, we have to play football. It's that simple.

Honestly, can we just set up an auto-filter / auto-reply feature on the Yard for any time someone starts a new thread about this topic?

Reaction Score
Open Letter to the Boneyard,

After last night's games, it is evident that a playoff was the best thing for college football's post-season (which the ratings will undoubtedly show). In the current four team (and soon to be eight team format), it is evident that the only way into the playoff is through one of the five major conferences. With the new emphasis on "tournament metrics" used by NCAA basketball tourney, things like SOS, RPI, etc will come into play, meaning that teams inside the P5 will look to schedule OOC games against other P5 teams, leaving the mid-majors out in the cold. I know that this has been hashed out a million times on this specific board, but the reality is, if we don't have a shot at getting into the P5 in the next couple of years we have absolutely no chance at getting to the CFP (not even considering the lack of talent our current program is mired in).

The number one goal of every collegiate athletic program, regardless of division or school, should be to win national championships. As the divide between the P5 and the mid-majors becomes more and more evident with the disparity between television money, recruiting, etc what is the point of the non-P5 attempting to compete with the P5? All things considered, we are in serious trouble trying to compete with any P5 school whose program nets 25-40mil more alone from their television deal just on the basis that the schools with more money will eventually win out. Like any other industry, money is everything, and those P5 schools flush with cash will be able to outspend everyone on coaching, recruiting, facilities, amenities that will keep the top talent there.

To sum up my incoherent rambling, if a P5 invite isn't coming in the near future, at what point do the non-P5 realize (and UConn) realize the point of negative return on investment? I know that we and the state have a ton invested in the success of our university and football program, but at the end of the day this is a business. If we aren't succeeding on the field or generating a return for the university, how can we justify continued operations?

-Disgruntled Alumni (Class of 2013) - Football and Men's Bball Season Ticket Holder

When they start losing money year over year.

Who knows what's going to happen. We're definitely someone standing on the deck of the Titanic waiting to see if there's going to be a lifeboat available. Doesn't look like there's many left and there's a bit of a line...

Reaction Score
Oh good, another "shut down football" thread. This one comes on the heels of one of the most exciting days in college sports showing, once again, football drives the CR bus. If we want to make the same money as our local r1vals do, we have to play football. If we want to continue to be good at basketball, we have to play football. It's that simple.

Honestly, can we just set up an auto-filter / auto-reply feature on the Yard for any time someone starts a new thread about this topic?

It's not necessarily a "shut down football" post, more or less a valid talking point on this forum. All I know is that "simply playing football" in our current situation isn't going to net any sort of revenue for the university. If that were the case, then I guess there could be an argument made for staying in the American?

Reaction Score
College football is only hurting itself. As the gap widens, the national champion will be the champion of a smaller pool of schools. Sounds like less is less to me. Follow basketball. 8 or 12 team play-off, every conference sends its champion one way or the other. Keeps all 120+ schools relevant covering a much larger fan base. More is more. Anything else is collusion and artificial.

That said, as the gap widens, the P5 will no doubt separate. It would follow that the G5 will have their own championship just like current FCS level.

Reaction Score
College football is only hurting itself. As the gap widens, the national champion will be the champion of a smaller pool of schools. Sounds like less is less to me. Follow basketball. 8 or 12 team play-off, every conference sends its champion one way or the other. Keeps all 120+ schools relevant covering a much larger fan base. More is more. Anything else is collusion and artificial.

That said, as the gap widens, the P5 will no doubt separate. It would follow that the G5 will have their own championship just like current FCS level.

My proposal, which would never be passed would be as follows:

Eliminate the bowl system and substitute a 16 team playoff. 10 automatic bids are given to each conference champion, and six bids are given to at-large candidates. Each game would be played at the home field of the higher seed, except for the national semi-final and final (like its currently constructed), which would be played at neutral fields. This playoff would start right after the conclusion of the regular season

Reaction Score
My proposal, which would never be passed would be as follows:

Eliminate the bowl system and substitute a 16 team playoff. 10 automatic bids are given to each conference champion, and six bids are given to at-large candidates. Each game would be played at the home field of the higher seed, except for the national semi-final and final (like its currently constructed), which would be played at neutral fields. This playoff would start right after the conclusion of the regular season
My guess it will go like this:

8 team Playoff
5 - P5 Conference winners
2 - at large bids
1 - bid for top ranked G5 team (MUST be at least a Top 10 team) if not then 3rd at large.

Reaction Score

8 team Playoff
2 - at large bids
1 - bid for top ranked G5 team (MUST be at least a Top 10 team) if not then 3rd at large.

That's a fair compromise, because at least with this system there is more access for the non-P5 than the current format

pj

Reaction Score

8 team Playoff
2 - at large bids

No, the top G5 team has to get in, same way the conference champions get in. Otherwise this is a popularity contest.

Reaction Score
That's a fair compromise, because at least with this system there is more access for the non-P5 than the current format[
No, the top G5 team has to get in, same way the conference champions get in. Otherwise this is a popularity contest.

Picked as the 8th team for the 2017 College Football Playoffs is 9-3 Unranked Temple University......Not going to happen I would think.

Reaction Score

8 team Playoff
2 - at large bids

Maybe make the G5 requirement a top 16-20 team might be more realistic.

Reaction Score
That's a fair compromise, because at least with this system there is more access for the non-P5 than the current format

8 team Playoff
2 - at large bids
Amend to has to be top 15 for G5 team.

pj

Reaction Score
If you let them put a rule in that G5 champ has to achieve a poll rating too, then in a system where the P5 don't schedule the G5, all it takes is a few year losing streak by the G5 rep and all the G5 teams will start falling below the poll level. Then we'll never see a G5 team in the playoff again because the inability to get into the playoff will further ruin the G5 reputation. A guaranteed spot in the playoff lets the G5 have down years and still recover.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you let them put a rule in that G5 champ has to achieve a poll rating too, then in a system where the P5 don't schedule the G5, all it takes is a few year losing streak by the G5 rep and all the G5 teams will start falling below the poll level. Then we'll never see a G5 team in the playoff again because the inability to get into the playoff will further ruin the G5 reputation. A guaranteed spot in the playoff lets the G5 have down years and still recover.

G5: If you want to expand the playoffs to eight, we must have a guaranteed spot!

P5: No.

G5: We refuse to permit you to expand!

p5: We just did. And we expanded to 100 scholarships and eliminated transfer rules.

G5: Can we start over?

Reaction Score
G5: If you want to expand the playoffs to eight, we must have a guaranteed spot!

P5: No.

G5: We refuse to permit you to expand!

p5: We just did. And we expanded to 100 scholarships and eliminated transfer rules.

G5: Can we start over?

If it was truly advantageous for the P5 to break away they would have done it already. They obviously want to get as much out the G5 as they can, but they don't want to leave. At some point the G5 has to call their bluff.

Reaction Score

8 team Playoff
2 - at large bids

I would that the 1st round games should be played at the home of the higher seed and then the semifinals and finals played at a neutral site rotated among various bowls (Orange/Miami, Peach/Atlanta [once the new stadium is built], Sugar/New Orleans, Cotton/Dallas, Houston, Fiesta/Phoenix, Rose/LA).

Reaction Score

Haven't' several conferences already said that they will not schedule G5 games anymore? I think this is a back-door way to exclude G5 from any future 8 team playoff system as without wins over P5 schools, it will be hard for any G5 school to push high enough into the rankings. Especially years when the media declares that the SEC or another P5 conference is so strong it serves 4 of the 8 slots before a game is even played. That said, such an action may raise collusion concerns especially for the P5. if a G5 school is willing to financially support it's athletic program at or above P5 level and it is not invited due to 'other' reasons,' the P5 will have a hard time winning a court case if challenged.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Haven't' several conferences already said that they will not schedule G5 games anymore? I think this is a back-door way to exclude G5 from any future 8 team playoff system as without wins over P5 schools, it will be hard for any G5 school to push high enough into the rankings. Especially years when the media declares that the SEC or another P5 conference is so strong it serves 4 of the 8 slots before a game is even played. That said, such an action may raise collusion concerns especially for the P5. if a G5 school is willing to financially support it's athletic program at or above P5 level and it is not invited due to 'other' reasons,' the P5 will have a hard time winning a court case if challenged.

Exactly. And once the G5 is excluded from the playoffs, and also from the TV and postseason money flow, and players are paid by the P5 at rates higher than G5 schools can afford, the G5 won't be competitive in recruiting and their football programs will wither to the status FCS schools now have. It is attempted murder by slow strangulation.

Reaction Score
Boise State is the only non-P5 program ranked this year at 21. As the gap widens, no G5 school will sniff the top 25. As we all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom