College football map from 1938 | The Boneyard

College football map from 1938

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This Slate blog post from a year ago was linked on Reddit CFB, thought people here would enjoy...

Note that the stars denoting conference (most schools were not in conferences back then) are actually at the top of each flagpole, not the bottom. Also note that 1938 was the year before Connecticut State changed to University of Connecticut. Not sure why the legend says "Nutmeggers" instead of Huskies though, as Huskies was chosen in 1934. There are also several modern day "name" schools that are not on the map.

LgCollegeFootballMap.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the time this map was printed Florida State was a women's college (to educate primary school teachers).

It's interesting that U Chicago was still a participating member of the B-10 while Michigan St was not yet a member. Also interesting is that the Pacific Coast Conference was the future Pac-8 plus Idaho and Montana (the latter two I imagine regret their decision to cease affiliation with the other eight).

One thing I'm curious about is that the Ivy League which (after being named by Grantland Rice) was really an unofficial title for a group of northeast schools with high academic reputations and competitive football programs was listed. It did not become a formal conference until about half a dozen years after the end of WWII.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
At the time this map was printed Florida State was a women's college (to educate primary school teachers).

It's interesting that U Chicago was still a participating member of the B-10 while Michigan St was not yet a member. Also interesting is that the Pacific Coast Conference was the future Pac-8 plus Idaho and Montana (the latter two I imagine regret their decision to cease affiliation with the other eight).

Yup, MSU was the fill in when U Chicago gave up football, and later Big10'athletics in general. MSU, Iowa State, Pittsburg, Notre Dame , Nebraska, and Marquette were thought to be the candidates. MSU finally joined in the late '40's. Michigan fought the addition all the way.

Reaction Score
yep...I was 9 months old when FSU first put its team on the field...most of the traditions did not exist when I was in school...no Osceola on Renegade, no chop, no sod cemetery, no warchant...FSU is relatively new along side the traditional powers.

Florida is sort of a new state itself...in the early 1950's, the state was was smaller in population than South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, or Kentucky.

Reaction Score
NYU... New York City's real team.

I did my grad work at NYU and at their gym on 14th street they have enormous framed football potsters from the 20s, 30s and 40s advertising games for NYU between, Mizzou, Army, Navy, Nebraska, Notre Dame.

Really really awesome. I took some photos of them a few years back, will try to find them today and post to this thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wake Forest was still in Wake Forest! It's odd seeing them North and East of the Triangle
schools.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I got the story (during an audit in Raleigh-Durham some thirty years ago) on how RJ Reynolds gave Wake quite a bit of money (I believe it was ~ 1950) to move to Winston-Salem. Three and a half decades after the move there were still locals who resented the fact that Wake was no longer located in Wake Forest.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I did my grad work at NYU and at their gym on 14th street they have enormous framed football potsters from the 20s, 30s and 40s advertising games for NYU between, Mizzou, Army, Navy, Nebraska, Notre Dame.

Really really awesome. I took some photos of them a few years back, will try to find them today and post to this thread.
Tough to recruit kids when your team name is the Violets.

(not that there's anything wrong with that.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I got the story (during an audit in Raleigh-Durham some thirty years ago) on how RJ Reynolds gave Wake quite a bit of money (I believe it was ~ 1950) to move to Winston-Salem. Three and a half decades after the move there were still locals who resented the fact that Wake was no longer located in Wake Forest.

I lived in Northern Wake county and had no idea until they held a public practice at the old location - I had wondered why they were nowhere near Wake.

Reaction Score
One thing I'm curious about is that the Ivy League which (after being named by Grantland Rice) was really an unofficial title for a group of northeast schools with high academic reputations and competitive football programs was listed. It did not become a formal conference until about half a dozen years after the end of WWII.

In terms of competing toward a conference title, the Ivy League essentially had already existed for a while (though there had not been a real clear name for it). The schools had a round-robin scheduling agreement dating back several decades. Remember they had been in a formal basketball league (the EIBL) that began in 1902. The formal football setup began in 1945, and in 1955 they merged to become an all-sports league under the Ivy League moniker. The only reason the league formed at that time was to form a more strict set of rules dictating finances, competition and recruiting. But in terms of pure scheduling, they already had an unofficial league going.

The Ivy League name began being thrown around by the media just five years before that map was printed, but it caught on very quickly.

Reaction Score
Tough to recruit kids when your team name is the Violets.

(not that there's anything wrong with that.)

They are actually the Bobcats now.

And before you think, "Well that's a respectable mascot name."

The "Bobcat" name is in honor of the Bobst library.

Reaction Score
NYC also had Fordham,Vince Lombardi and the seven blocks of granite ,Lou Little's Columbia, Columbia won The Rose Bowl in the 20's and Army up the river a piece. Notre Dame vs Army was still the biggest game of the year into the forties.
The Down Town Athletic Club arguably still is very influential in College Football is based in NYC.
Even Yale vs Harvard has been played in NYC

Pro football was still in its infancy in 1938
You could walk in game day to watch the Giants at the old Polo grounds in most years. In the 30 s many crowds were 5m to 10m and staying afloat was the main aim.
If the opposing team featured a well known college star that bumped up attendance.
Although they did have some good years were they lead in attendance.
250,000 annually usually led the league in the late 40's and early 50's.
The stat that amazed me was they paid $75,000 a year to rent the Polo grounds
in the early 50's. And the Mara's turned down an offer to buy the team in 1955 for 1,000,000 which was considered a great offer. Also even though the Mara's were in the biggest media market they were advocates of equally sharing TV revenue.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They are actually the Bobcats now.

And before you think, "Well that's a respectable mascot name."

The "Bobcat" name is in honor of the Bobst library.
When did that happen?

Reaction Score
They aren't the Bobcats. They're still the Violets. The Bobcat is now the school mascot, but the teams are still known as the Violets.

Reaction Score
They aren't the Bobcats. They're still the Violets. The Bobcat is now the school mascot, but the teams are still known as the Violets.

That may be right. Either way, the mascot was inspired by a library.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Really cool map. Sewanee in Tennessee?? Their mascot is the tigers but Memphis is on the Mississippi so what school is that?!?

Reaction Score
Really cool map. Sewanee in Tennessee?? Their mascot is the tigers but Memphis is on the Mississippi so what school is that?!?
I believe they are DIII now, if I remember correctly a friend of mine took a visit down there for football actually.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I believe they are DIII now, if I remember correctly a friend of mine took a visit down there for football actually.
Believe it or not they were a founding member of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Tulane and Georgia played a neutral site game at the Yale Bowl in the 30s.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not they were a founding member of the SEC.

Sewanee is famous in the south for the road trip that will never be equaled...the "Iron Men" of Sewanee had only 13 men and went 12-0 scoring 322-10.

The Road Trip....The Iron men went on a six day road trip where they shut out Texas A&M, Texas, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss...and on the seventh day they rested.

Reaction Score
Sewanee is famous in the south for the road trip that will never be equaled...the "Iron Men" of Sewanee had only 13 men and went 12-0 scoring 322-10.

The Road Trip....The Iron men went on a six day road trip where they shut out Texas A&M, Texas, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss...and on the seventh day they rested.

That sounds like a sports report from this site... http://www.kcna.co.jp/

...but with Kim Jong Il starting at QB.

Reaction Score

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_Sewanee_Tigers_football_team

Impressive for a southern school back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom