College BBall Roundup 11/30 - The Return! | The Boneyard

College BBall Roundup 11/30 - The Return!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry for the holiday hiatus...

Notable games and goings on:

Next UConn game: Wednesday Dec. 2nd vs. Sacred Heart @ 7:00pm

A few thoughts about their time in Atlantis:

Like the mythical continent, hopefully a lot of what happened there will be forgotten.

The Michigan game had its moments of offensive fluidity and was an encouraging effort for sure. The second half defense was not inspiring whatsoever though. I know its been rehashed here already so I won't get into some of the more finer points, but that was a win that will hopefully look good in the long run.

The Cuse game got off to a great start in the opening ten minutes and then they just started shredding our defense. Our perimeter D faltered, our transition D was abysmal, and they were getting to the tin far too easily. Of all the winnable games to lose... how I wish we had just been able to paste them. I hope what happened in this one and the subsequent Zags game isn't indicative of how the season goes, in that the guys don't start to feel the urgency of the moment until they are down by ten with a few minutes to go. That's something that we've seen far too much over the last few years.

The Gonzaga game. Despite the higher profile opponent, this one had "let-down game" written all over it. Maybe it's just me projecting as a fan, what with Syracuse being such a hated rival, but I had a terrible feeling they would come out as they did. Give credit to the Zags though, they were killing us from 3 (the open looks we provided them with sure helped too). They deserved to lose this one with how they came out to play. And yet the whole trip has left me no less optimistic for the rest of the season. There were some hard lessons learned no doubt, but I think they'll be able to build upon the resolve they displayed when trying to come back at the end. At the very least, against the best opponent they've faced yet, they put together maybe their best half of basketball in the second half so far this season. Granted it was desperation based, but the defensive intensity they showed is the sort of thing that can hopefully be applied to all future opponents, and its something that can lead to a lot of wins.

Quick hitters:
- Gibbs is going to be an incredibly important part of the season, maybe not his defense, but his shooting and poise are going to be strengths of the season.
- Adams is going to be fun to watch as he develops. I think we'll be seeing a lot of he, Purvis and Sterling on the court together.
- Amida had his encouraging moments along with some frustrating ones. Everyone harps on the rebounding but I think he's actually vastly improved in what he's shown so far. He pulled down a few in traffic that he would've gotten bumped out of the way for last year. Also he's made a few nice catches and finishes that would've troubled him last year too.
- Facey is going to be SOLID this year. Next year he's gonna be the man.
- DHam, Purvis please start making some of those bunnies. (Also if Gibbs could've made one or two layups we might've won both of those games)
- It looks like KO is trying to go with whoever has the hot hand game-to-game out of Calhoun and SCII but I don't know that we're going to have the luxury of such patience to figure out who that's gonna be in some of our future games. TAKE IT TO THE HOLE OMAR! (I really think that can be a solution for him)
- Looked like Shonn felt he had something to prove when Wiltjer was draining 3's in his eye. Wish it didn't take that to get him going.

Bottom line: this team's highest gear can match and exceed anyone else's.

UConn in the NBA: Drum with 24 pts, 13 rbs, 2 ast, 3 stl, 3 blk in the Pistons' win over the Rockets (He was an incredibly ugly 4-18 from the FT line though, ugh), Googled AJ on a whim today (Didn't know he was playing for the Shanghai Sharks, averaging 26 ppg), Sac-Town is facing Dallas (Rudy with 20 pts, 7 rbs so far)

Former UConn opponents: UNH beat Bryant 75-67

Top 25 Action: Likely season long undefeated, junior NBA franchise and our NCAA overlords #1 Kentucky got by Illinois St. 75-63 (Isaiah Briscoe had 18 pts, 7 rbs, 3 ast), #15 Oregon beat Fresno St. 78-73 (Tyler Dorsey had 12 pts, averaging 15 ppg this season)

Our AAC Chum(s): Houston beat UT-RGV 78-65

P5 Winners: Indiana beat Alcorn St., South Carolina beat Western Carolina (PJ Dozier with 0 pts in 12 min), Minny beat Clemson

P5 Upsets: LSU lost to Charleston (Blakeney, 0-9 fgs, and Simmons, 15 & 18 but 7 to's, were duds in their 3rd straight loss)

Other Notes: Chris Duhon needs a hug, where are you K?, Wake Forest beat Rutgers

Reaction Score
Tyler Dorsey is the real deal. Saw him in the World U21 championships.

Reaction Score
First Okafor, now Duhon!?!?! What's happening to the exemplary fine men K turns out?
The Duke effect from ESPN swings both ways. If he had been a gritty player full of heart at most any other school, this wouldn't have gotten reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom