Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics requests override vote on P5 autonomy | The Boneyard

Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics requests override vote on P5 autonomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You'd need a third of P5 schools to vote in favor of the override. Doubt it.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
You'd need a third of P5 schools to vote in favor of the override. Doubt it.

If the votes are anonymous it might have a shot.

Reaction Score
Yeah, wouldn't want the NCAA to continue holding FSU and winston to such exacting standards.:confused:[/QUOTE

WTF? I guess, one could hold their nose and try to believe this is on subject.

This a smack post? Or just one of those bitter posts spawned by feelings left over by CR rejection and ACC raids?

But...since it was Delaney and Slive who have threatened a breakaway...it may be a viable threat

pj

Reaction Score
Do faculty have influence over athletic decisions? Didn't the presidents just agree to let the P5 have autonomy? Don't the faculty have more influence over their own presidents than any one else? I don't understand the politics or the power distribution here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The last 4 paragraphs from the first link are far too reasonable and logical! I could see an override because an override does not mean a quashing of the process. Just a re-do.

Reaction Score
Faculty do have influence regarding athletics decisions. My understanding is the reason there was not a playoff in FBS was because of faculty. But the influence has clearly waned. The faculty finally lost on the playoff, and I can't imagine the faculty are in favor in this P5 autonomy and the apparent changes it will bring.

The NCAA Faculty Athletics Represntatives is generally opposed, but has faced the reality of P5 autonomy. This group, and the subgroup of Division 1FBS reps has asked that there simply be more faculty representation on the P5 board, and I think also a slight change how bylaws relating to only the P5 be passed, but I guess this will be rejected.

The thing is, I couldn't imagine that the presidents would be in favor of this, and wonder who has influenced them. Their own ADs, the conference commissioners, other presidents, the networks?

And what is happening at FSU may be more evidence that faculty influence is waning. The fact that a completely incompetent individual who has no support of anyone of importance, except maybe politically connected governing board members, is considered a finalist for president is alarming. I like to think that this is just a courtesy interview, that the search committee has come to their senses, and is really only considering the other three finalists, who hopefully have expertise in higher education and are/were faculty members themselves.

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to edit the above, But saw that Thrasher was appointed FSU president. The selection was bad enough, but the fact they wasted everybody's time in making this farce look like a real presidential search was also unfortunate.

Reaction Score
You do not have to be an university academic to run an institution of the size and scope of a major university. You need to be a manager, a politician, a leader. And hire great provosts, a great AD.

I did work with a past FSU president who was a former Speaker of the House....and who was greatly disliked by the academic crowd. The former Lt. Governor of Florida (also once my boss) served eight years in statewide offices before leaving to become the President of FAU and six years later later, the Chancellor of the University System of Florida. He is the current Chancellor of the Pennsylvania State System for Higher Education.

Frank, a former county school superintendent, never worked in a college nor university before his entrance as President of FAU.

Reaction Score
You do not have to be an university academic to run an institution of the size and scope of a major university. You need to be a manager, a politician, a leader. And hire great provosts, a great AD.

I did work with a past FSU president who was a former Speaker of the House....and who was greatly disliked by the academic crowd. The former Lt. Governor of Florida (also once my boss) served eight years in statewide offices before leaving to become the President of FAU and six years later later, the Chancellor of the University System of Florida. He is the current Chancellor of the Pennsylvania State System for Higher Education.

Frank, a former county school superintendent, never worked in a college nor university before his entrance as President of FAU.
The State of Florida is filled with venomous snakes.

Reaction Score
Thrasher, like Wetherell (FSU President before him 2003-9), comes from politics. And academicians are notorious for believing that a guy with a Ph. D in Astronomy or Chemistry can run a university because he has been through the education system. Versus a lawyer/politician who has grappled with state policy issues.

Business (and a major U is a big business with the product of education and research) does not seem so infatuated with hiring former academicians as CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.

And true, Thrasher is not credentialed like many academician presidents of universities....although he received his Juris Doctor.

While my personal jury is out on Thrasher as a university President, I do respect him for his two bronze stars awarded in Vietnam and his tireless support of FSU in the political funding arena.

Reaction Score
Thrasher, like Wetherell (FSU President before him 2003-9), comes from politics. And academicians are notorious for believing that a guy with a Ph. D in Astronomy or Chemistry can run a university because he has been through the education system. Versus a lawyer/politician who has grappled with state policy issues.

Business (and a major U is a big business with the product of education and research) does not seem so infatuated with hiring former academicians as CEO's of Fortune 500 companies.

And true, Thrasher is not credentialed like many academician presidents of universities....although he received his Juris Doctor.

While my personal jury is out on Thrasher as a university President, I do respect him for his two bronze stars awarded in Vietnam and his tireless support of FSU in the political funding arena.

You couldn't be more wrong about any of this.

There are many, many examples of complete debacles with people that don't understand academia being hired as President. FSU is truly about to find out. People who bring big money to the university are leaving because of him. His record is of slashing funding for higher education, he doesn't even believe in evolution, you really have hired a neanderthal for President.

Reaction Score
"I" haven't hired anyone.

The academicians will fight Thrasher tooth and nail, as they did Wetherell.

But, if he is able to raise salaries (now some of the lowest for Professors), bring in funding, he will have fans.

I did work around Florida politics and policy for 35 years....and I have little patience for the religious-science nattering and the hard core right of the Republican party. Thrasher does not have the respect of the students nor faculty and will have to fight to earn it...& I'm sure that Wetherell never did win the academicians over...

Politics in Florida is an animal unto it self. Thrasher was on the FSU board that hired Wetherell (a Democrat Speaker of the House) and now Bense (former Speaker) is Chair of the Board that hired Thrasher.

In the wars with Florida and USF for a piece of the limited funding pie...a politically connected President and board is a plus.

The University of Florida's President, Bernie Machen, was hired from Utah when Florida was trying to bring in Urban Myer from Utah...many thought that his association with Urban was the clincher. If so...it did pay off.

We'll have to see how it all plays out...but Thrasher will start in a deep hole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the vote went the wrong way....break away
Yeah, but they won't. They can threaten all they want, but they'd never do it because there are far too many outside issues. You could make it work for football which only has 12 games. You couldn't make it work for any other sport, especially womens sports.

Reaction Score
I don't know why it wouldn't work like it does now...football is currently FBS...but soccer may play St. Johns and Portland (as does FSU's women) as well as P5 and a conference schedule. Volleyball now plays Samford and Marquette in addition to P5 teams.

Women's basketball is also a mixed slated..from ACC teams to Purdue...but also Savannah State, North Florida, Jacksonville, and Tulane.

Reaction Score
If you assume that they leave for only football,but that would violate NCAA rules that require you to be all in or all out for sports the NCAA offers. You can't play women's basketball in the NAIA and NCAA football or men's basketball for instance. Its all or nothing. So the threat to leave means leave for womens basketball and soccer and lacrosse and volleyball as well as football. Good luck putting together a program that complies with Title IX which by the way, still applies because it is a federal law.

Reaction Score
....the concept was to break away and form their own confederation under the NCAA structure...a bit like making a new category above FBS...

P5...FBS...FCS

It is already a fait accompli. And I do not think that the NCAA wants to test further.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From ESPN....bold emphasis mine.

"In fact, what once seemed like an idle threat now seems like a very plausible scenario: Schools in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC might break away from the rest of the FBS leagues and form their own federation within the current NCAA structure. Such a move would allow the schools and their conferences to write and approve their own rules, such as increasing the value of scholarships to meet the full cost of attendance, reforming recruiting rules and overhauling the way they investigate and punish rule breakers."
"

Reaction Score
"
Bowlsby said none of the conference commissioners have suggested entirely breaking away from the NCAA, at least not yet.

"I don't see secession from the NCAA as a viable leverage point, except as a last resort," Bowlsby said.

This much is clear: The NCAA needs the big five more than the big five needs the NCAA. The NCAA offers very little in the day-to-day operations of college football. The FBS leagues do their own scheduling and stage their own conference championship games, and bowl committees (and the BCS until 2014) handle the postseason. Unlike Division I men's and women's basketball, and FCS, Division II and Division III football, the NCAA doesn't crown a national champion in FBS football."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom