Coaching, superstar | The Boneyard

Coaching, superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
In the Warlick topic I mentioned. That one of the things I thought Tennessee has been missing is that superstar player. I know that the head coach is very important. I also think having the star player helps. Looking at the Championship team that Pat had. There was Parker, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Gordon, and Charles all players had their number retired. They was on each of the title teams. Geno has had Taurasi, Maya, Stewart, Logo on his teams.
I just thought this would make a interesting topic.

Reaction Score
They was on each of the title teams. Geno has had Taurasi, Maya, Stewart, Logo on his teams.
I just thought this would make a interesting topic.
You mean Lobo?

Reaction Score
Good topic stwainfan..... for my money, even with all the talent that has come through UConn, I do not think NCAA titles are coming without major contribution of Geno, Chris and staff..... If Lobo, Stewart, Maya, etc.... had a coach on the likes of, say, Jim Foster, I do not think titles are coming our way..... that is how important I think the coaching staff is in WCBB...... has much less to do with superstars on the roster....

That is not to say that Parker couldn't have self guided Vols to titles in 07 and 08 without Pat..... highly unlikely though I think.....

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good topic stwainfan..... for my money, even with all the talent that has come through UConn, I do not think NCAA titles are coming without major contribution of Geno, Chris and staff..... If Lobo, Stewart, Maya, etc.... had a coach on the likes of, say, Jim Foster, I do not think titles are coming our way..... that is how important I think the coaching staff is in WCBB. has much less to do with superstars on the roster....

That is not to say that Parker couldn't have self guided Vols to titles in 07 and 08 without Pat..... highly unlikely though I think.....
thanks Yes I agree.

Reaction Score
Good topic stwainfan..... for my money, even with all the talent that has come through UConn, I do not think NCAA titles are coming without major contribution of Geno, Chris and staff..... If Lobo, Stewart, Maya, etc.... had a coach on the likes of, say, Jim Foster, I do not think titles are coming our way..... that is how important I think the coaching staff is in WCBB. has much less to do with superstars on the roster....

With Jim Foster and Lobo, Stewart, Maya, etc., maybe not. With DT, yes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Success at a high level requires both a "go to" player (call it a superstar) and excellent coaching.

When you put together a couple of the greatest WBB coaches of all time and some of the greatest players, you get Tennessee for its run and UConn - still running.

On a good coaching level, you put a Vivian with a Cappie, Piph (earlier, Tasha, Stewart, TSB) and you get runs at the final four. Few teams make the Elite 8 and Final 4 without both a decent coach and a superstar. In a very few instances (the former Southwest Missouri State comes to mind) an apparently mediocre coach rode the superstar. But in most cases you have both.

Then there is Foster. Jim is certainly a good coach and he certainly had some outstanding players over the years. But for some reason, he just couldn't get it done.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Success at a high level requires both a "go to" player (call it a superstar) and excellent coaching.

When you put together a couple of the greatest WBB coaches of all time and some of the greatest players, you get Tennessee for its run and UConn - still running.

On a good coaching level, you put a Vivian with a Cappie, Piph (earlier, Tasha, Stewart, TSB) and you get runs at the final four. Few teams make the Elite 8 and Final 4 without both a decent coach and a superstar. In a very few instances (the former Southwest Missouri State comes to mind) an apparently mediocre coach rode the superstar. But in most cases you have both.

Then there is Foster. Jim is certainly a good coach and he certainly had some outstanding players over the years. But for some reason, he just couldn't get it done.

I loved that Rutgers squad. Stewart and Tammy Sutton-Brown were two of my all time favorite non-Duke players.

Reaction Score

I liked Jim when he was coaching men in the South West Conf against Arkansas--good coach, good guy, I agree he didn't get it done, but I think he was better than has been said of him. Question is did he have the horses to up against the Arkansas's (then) in recruiting??

Absotively--!! YOU need both!! In the really close games at the end you need a DT, Maya, Tina, Stewie, Lobo to put the team on their backs and score those critical points---DT was absolutely the best at saving a win from disaster!! Geno can coach them but when thing get "hinky" and the final is in doubt all Geno can do is yell, guide, and sit and wait. The last second loses to ND didn't have the player (willing) to take the game over at crunch time. At crunch time I'll take DT over Stewie.
Geno has often over his past 20 or so years said---Recruiting well makes a coach look good (really bad paraphrasing).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I liked Jim when he was coaching men in the South West Conf against Arkansas--good coach, good guy, I agree he didn't get it done, but I think he was better than has been said of him. Question is did he have the horses to up against the Arkansas's (then) in recruiting??

Absotively--!! YOU need both!! In the really close games at the end you need a DT, Maya, Tina, Stewie, Lobo to put the team on their backs and score those critical points---DT was absolutely the best at saving a win from disaster!! Geno can coach them but when thing get "hinky" and the final is in doubt all Geno can do is yell, guide, and sit and wait. The last second loses to ND didn't have the player (willing) to take the game over at crunch time. At crunch time I'll take DT over Stewie.
Geno has often over his past 20 or so years said---Recruiting well makes a coach look good (really bad paraphrasing).
Broadway: I think you and Knight are talking about two different people. The Jim Foster with the Philly/Geno connection coached WBB at St. Joseph's, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, and now UT-Chattanooga.

Reaction Score
I don't think any team can win the NCAA Championship in this day and age without at least on superstar player. You also need a good coach, but IMO some lesser coaches than Geno could have won national championships with his talent. The ability of the UConn coaches to recruit the top talent makes their job a little easier when it comes to the actual game time performance of their athletes. They have the horses. If / when some other team beats them, it is due to either a sub-par performance by the UConn team or an outstanding performance by the opposing team. Look at the Dayton game last year. They competed for more than a half, but they were playing over their heads. Not to take away from Geno - he is the best coach in WCBB, but UConn had the absolute best talent in WCBB the last two years and in many other years where you have won the title.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Rare when a team without a bona fide 1st team AA (top 5, not top 10) wins the NC (props to Blair & TA&M). If you look at UCONN's 'lean' years, we had no 1st team AAs.

But why do you think the 'horses' come here? It's not like we have some unfair advantage due to all the 'free' talent that comes here for some random reason. Doesn't great coaching attract great talent?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Geno and Pat have both had great success. More so than any other coaches in the game. Muffett, and Tara also have enjoyed a lot of success just not quite at the same level.What's the main difference?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Rare when a team without a bona fide 1st team AA (top 5, not top 10) wins the NC (props to Blair & TA&M). If you look at UCONN's 'lean' years, we had no 1st team AAs.

But why do you think the 'horses' come here? It's not like we have some unfair advantage due to all the 'free' talent that comes here for some random reason. Doesn't great coaching attract great talent?

Danielle Adams was a first team AA. She was bona fide.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

also some Coach have respect from the refs and get "the calls" some and most of the time... refs are going to call the Geno or Pat wants it called, most of the time!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
also some Coach have respect from the refs and get "the calls" some and most of the time... refs are going to call the Geno or Pat wants it called, most of the time!
Although it can be - both ways, for and against - I think getting the calls often goes to the perceived better player(s). To the extent that UConn (in general) "gets" or is perceived as getting certain calls, well, it is partly a reputation for not fouling combined with highly thought of skill players that the ref is going to expect to be able to make "that move" without walking, even if they actually did that one time. Conversely, some refs (and no where near the number that some fans claimed) would over penalize Rutgers because they would perceive that Rutgers was physical and playing on the edge. For example, refs like DeMayo, Kantner, etc. did not fall in that trap, but good old Titus, some much lesser known guys, and Wesley Dean all tended to "over-compensate", based on an attempt at an honest analysis.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Although it can be - both ways, for and against - I think getting the calls often goes to the perceived better player(s). To the extent that UConn (in general) "gets" or is perceived as getting certain calls, well, it is partly a reputation for not fouling combined with highly thought of skill players that the ref is going to expect to be able to make "that move" without walking, even if they actually did that one time. Conversely, some refs (and no where near the number that some fans claimed) would over penalize Rutgers because they would perceive that Rutgers was physical and playing on the edge. For example, refs like DeMayo, Kantner, etc. did not fall in that trap, but good old Titus, some much lesser known guys, and Wesley Dean all tended to "over-compensate", based on an attempt at an honest analysis.
I agree, thats why I say "say it enough, some will start to believe"

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno's 10 NCs all included Lobo, Bird, Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart. Pat's eight all included Gordon, Charles, Holdsclaw, and Parker. Obviously, all 18 combined were led by a great coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting one to me is 2000 - a great team, but the TASSK force were only sophomores and Sveta and Shea were juniors. I know Bird won the Lieberman but she was not the same player she later became. Of all the championships I think 2000 stands out as the least 'superstar' driven.

Reaction Score
1994 North Carolina won NCAA title on Sylvia Crawley's 3pter at buzzer for Sylvia Hatchell!
A Superstar winning a title for a clueless coach!
I'll never forget Hatchell saying at 1/2 time of a UCONN-NoCar blowout, " I don't care if we make 100 turnovers as long as we continue to play fast!" If she has the horses she'll win! She won't coach her way to a title!
Now with scandal she'll barely be coaching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom