Coaching Rumors | The Boneyard

Coaching Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Hearing rumors of an elevated role for Hobbs,has anyone heard anything?

Reaction Score
Hearing rumors of an elevated role for Hobbs,has anyone heard anything?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ecticut-huskies-future-men-college-basketball

"Calhoun is also expected to shuffle his staff responsibilities this summer for recruiting purposes, switching the job titles of Hobbs and longtime associate head coach George Blaney. Hobbs has been in an operations position -- technically a non-coaching position -- since he rejoined the staff last year after being fired at GW. It makes sense to get Hobbs out on the road again, after his successful stint as a UConn recruiter in the late '90s."

Wonder if that means Hobbs will coach in Calhoun's absence if he is out for a couple of games.

C

Chief00

Thanks. I agree Hobbs is great on teh recruiting trail. How many recruiters can youhave out there?

Reaction Score
If true, that's a big demotion for Blaney; not sure why he'd accept that.

Reaction Score
Because he would still be getting a fat check and gets to chill with his buddy Jim for a couple more years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because he would still be getting a fat check and gets to chill with his buddy Jim for a couple more years.

or because it is getting down to end game and he and Jim are setting up the transition.

Reaction Score
I think Hobbs is a good coach that didn't have a lot of support at GW. I like the idea of hiring KO better as long as Hobbs is beside him on the bench.

My hope is he will spend several years helping KO learn how to be a head coach before moving on, if he moves on at all. Hobbs took GW to the top 10 at one point. He is high energy and loves aggressive defense. He also recruited Rip, Caron and KEA to UCONN if I remember right. He is very good for us at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Semantics!! It has been stated in the past that Blaney does not go on the road to recruit, even though his title might allow him to. However Hobbs' present title does not put him on the road. Solution---- switch titles with no loss of pay. Make sense??

Reaction Score
So would this mean Hobbs will be the coach if Calhoun has to miss any games?

CL82

Reaction Score
or will it be Kevin. I'd be interested to see.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Yes, thank God.
If Hobbs is the coach if JC missed a game, there would be little chance for KO to assume the reigns when JC steps down. This is made to order for KO, if in fact KO is JC's choice.

Reaction Score
If Hobbs is the coach if JC missed a game, there would be little chance for KO to assume the reigns when JC steps down. This is made to order for KO, if in fact KO is JC's choice.

I can't see playing that game with KO again this year. If he can't step in now then no way is he getting the head job. Hobbs has been a successful head coach in the A10 and he may be a safer bet than KO anyway. If JC doesn't throw his confidence behind KO and puts Hobbs out there instead, he risks having Hobbs make a great impression on all of us. Hobbs is fiery and infectious on the sideline. If Karl goes and wins 3 street with JC out sick you will find yourself loving you some Hobbsy. You can't go there if you are JC and want KO to get the job. Hobbs can overshadow KO if given a chance.

Reaction Score
I can't see playing that game with KO again this year. If he can't step in now then no way is he getting the head job. Hobbs has been a successful head coach in the A10 and he may be a safer bet than KO anyway. If JC doesn't throw his confidence behind KO and puts Hobbs out there instead, he risks having Hobbs make a great impression on all of us. Hobbs is fiery and infectious on the sideline. If Karl goes and wins 3 street with JC out sick you will find yourself loving you some Hobbsy. You can't go there if you are JC and want KO to get the job. Hobbs can overshadow KO if given a chance.
It is also possible that the AD has grown a pair and told Calhoun that there is no friggin' way Ollie is being handed the job, so cut the nonsense and do what's best for the basketball program.

Reaction Score
So now this has turned into the weekly "should KO be the future coach at UConn?" thread. Damn, you guys didn't even wait one week until the last one just past.

CL82

Reaction Score
So now this has turned into the weekly "should KO be the future coach at UConn?" thread. Damn, you guys didn't even wait one week until the last one just past.

What else wold you like to talk about? We're here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom