Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First major opening:
Former Vol Niya Butts out as Arizona coach

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
SMU also open with coach's retirement

What a great opportunity for an ambitious young coach. Recent big upgrade of facilities, Dallas location, in the midst of that large hotbed of HS talent.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I would think Arizona would also be a great opportunity: Nice facilities, nice community, nice weather, no admission standards . . . :cool:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I would think Arizona would also be a great opportunity: Nice facilities, nice community, nice weather, no admission standards . . . :cool:
Everything in Arizona is nice. However, for some reason the best players in HS dont go to UA or ASU.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
By the way how are people who played or learned from Pat Summit doing in WCBB
Butts@UA
Caldwell now Fargus @ LSU
Harper now at Ill St or Missouri St, formerly @ NC State
Warlick @UT.
Tyler Summit @LaTech.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Everything in Arizona is nice. However, for some reason the best players in HS dont go to UA or ASU.
But ASU manages to do fairly well with what they get.

Arizona was also a decent program under Joan Bonvicini, in fact we hosted them in the NCAA's at Rutgers. Sadly, the death of her player Shauntanice Polk seemed to mark the end of her success, and she hasn't had any success post UofA either.

I liked Niya - but she couldn't coach very well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Butts@UA
Warlick @UT.
Tyler Summit @LaTech.
Butts, as I said above, never was successful. Caldwell has an excellent career record (over .666) prior to this season, and I don't think she can be blamed. Harper is a .500 coach. Summitt is too early to tell, I think.

Actually, all things being equal, I am not overly impressed by Geno's coaching tree or Vivians, for that matter. At least some of them are young.

Reaction Score
Butts@UA
Warlick @UT.
Tyler Summit @LaTech.
Harper (Kellie Jolly an AA at Tenn) was at Western Carolina before NC State and now is at Missouri State.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Actually, all things being equal, I am not overly impressed by Geno's coaching tree or Vivians, for that matter. At least some of them are young.

Agreed- Hartford has fallen off the map rather precipitously, Cincy has not gotten back on the map and, yes, Temple seems to know where the map is... but I worry about the number of players exiting the program.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What a great opportunity for an ambitious young coach. Recent big upgrade of facilities, Dallas location, in the midst of that large hotbed of HS talent.
And it's in the up-and-coming American Conference.

Reaction Score
Agreed- Hartford has fallen off the map rather precipitously, Cincy has not gotten back on the map and, yes, Temple seems to know where the map is... but I worry about the number of players exiting the program.
Of the three, I think Temple will improve greatly going forward. It's tough challenge playing for coach Cordoza, but with her current success she should be able to recruit more players willing to accept that challenge.

Reaction Score
Of the three, I think Temple will improve greatly going forward. It's tough challenge playing for coach Cordoza, but with her current success she should be able to recruit more players willing to accept that challenge.
What makes it challenging?

Reaction Score
Depends on what you mean by "nice." AZ has lots of great scenery and for some folks, a very pleasant lifestyle. But if you have school-age kids and want a positive public school experience, Arizona, which ranks in the bottom 5 in education spending and quality, is not "nice" at all. Granted, a college coach can afford private school tuition, but many people want the option of sending their kids to public school. I'm really glad that by the time I was asked to interview for a job in AZ that my kid was out of HS. Knowing what I know now about the public K-12 system, and knowing I couldn't afford private school, I would have felt guilty subjecting her to the schools here. As for university quality, UofA is better than ASU and less of a factory.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Butts@UA
Warlick @UT.
Tyler Summit @LaTech.
I would say pretty much awful. Butts is out, Fargus has driven LSU into the ground and has never been a good recruiter (she inherited some good players at UCLA and LSU when she got to each school). Harper couldn't cut it at NC State, and it's too soon to tell with Tyler.

Contrast that to UCONN, who certainly has some hits and misses. Berube is fantastic in her D3 school, Rizotti has regressed at Hartford. Tonya is on the rise at Temple but Jamelle is languishing at Cinci.

What former players are assistants on teams? Raymond at UK, Crockett at Temple, Thomas at FGCU... Who else?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say pretty much awful. Butts is out, Fargus has driven LSU into the ground and has never been a good recruiter (she inherited some good players at UCLA and LSU when she got to each school). Harper couldn't cut it at NC State, and it's too soon to tell with Tyler.

Contrast that to UCONN, who certainly has some hits and misses. Berube is fantastic in her D3 school, Rizotti has regressed at Hartford. Tonya is on the rise at Temple but Jamelle is languishing at Cinci.

What former players are assistants on teams? Raymond at UK, Crockett at Temple, Thomas at FGCU... Who else?
Didn't Thomas leave FGCU a year or two ago?

Problem is most of the Uconn players go on to make their fortune in the pros, so once they are done playing they have too much money to want to do the drudgery of coaching! :rolleyes::)

Reaction Score
Didn't Thomas leave FGCU a year or two ago?

Problem is most of the Uconn players go on to make their fortune in the pros, so once they are done playing they have too much money to want to do the drudgery of coaching! :rolleyes::)

Only the top five or so players even come close to making a fortune. College coaching is much more lucrative than women's professional basketball for everybody else.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Only the top five or so players even come close to making a fortune. College coaching is much more lucrative than women's professional basketball for everybody else.
Note the emoticons - that was not a serious statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom