Coaching hot seat turned mildly warm.... | The Boneyard

Coaching hot seat turned mildly warm....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While we have the "Coaching carousel" thread for actual coaching changes, I am still perplexed by some moves that are so apparent that to not make a change is disconcerting.

#1. Robin Pingeton, Missouri. Seriously what's the holdup? Another abysmal year record wise, she's gotten a grand total of 1 top 100 HG Recruit in the last 4 years. SMH
#2. Joe McKeown, Northwestern. It's time to call it a career. He had 3 top 100 HGs in 2021 including Jillian Brown who transferred out, he's had one enter the portal this year, he's got 2 coming in for next year but the 9-21 and 4-14 plus with 4 PAC 12 teams joining which seem to screem RETIRE and let someone younger with more energy take over.
#3. Doug Bruno, DePaul. Ditto here. Doug has had a GREAT career but don't make us suffer watching your demise anymore. You're 72, it's ok to retire and go into broadcasting. You'll be great. Now that the DePaul AD found his Men's coach, why not reach out to Joanne P McCallie to revive the program. I don't know if she will help but it would be great theatre for us!
#4. Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, BC. 14-19 and 5-13 aren't horribly bad except she keeps losing players and isn't really recruiting great. Again, this was year 5 so shouldn't we be seeing some improvement?

The sadly safe for now list, includes
Anthony Bozella, SHU (@Plebe favorite).
Krista Gerlich, Texas Tech
Carolyn Kieger, Penn State

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
While we have the "Coaching carousel" thread for actual coaching changes, I am still perplexed by some moves that are so apparent that to not make a change is disconcerting.

#1. Robin Pingeton, Missouri. Seriously what's the holdup? Another abysmal year record wise, she's gotten a grand total of 1 top 100 HG Recruit in the last 4 years. SMH
#2. Joe McKeown, Northwestern. It's time to call it a career. He had 3 top 100 HGs in 2021 including Jillian Brown who transferred out, he's had one enter the portal this year, he's got 2 coming in for next year but the 9-21 and 4-14 plus with 4 PAC 12 teams joining which seem to screem RETIRE and let someone younger with more energy take over.
#3. Doug Bruno, DePaul. Ditto here. Doug has had a GREAT career but don't make us suffer watching your demise anymore. You're 72, it's ok to retire and go into broadcasting. You'll be great. Now that the DePaul AD found his Men's coach, why not reach out to Joanne P McCallie to revive the program. I don't know if she will help but it would be great theatre for us!
#4. Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, BC. 14-19 and 5-13 aren't horribly bad except she keeps losing players and isn't really recruiting great. Again, this was year 5 so shouldn't we be seeing somWho e improvement?

The sadly safe for now list, includes
Anthony Bozella, SHU (@Plebe favorite).
Krista Gerlich, Texas Tech
Carolyn Kieger, Penn State
Thanks for the follow-up on the initial list from some time ago. Some further comments:

• #1 and #2: Is the idea to dig holes so deep at Missouri and Northwestern that the new coaches get guaranteed 8-year contracts to see daylight? Like #3 (Doug Bruno), Uncle Joe could do TV: have a Sunday morning show with his daughter Erin on B1G Network?
  • #3. Doug seems to have a very long leash, even though his self-proclaimed renewed spark to get back at the transfers that have decimated his program got some press. Unfortunately, the wave of transfers he used this year produced mediocre results...and they're mostly gone.
#4. Bernabei-McNamee. Hmmm. Her teams had a mild resurgence at the end of the year and Waggoner decided to come back, which in unusual for a senior there. And she's got some '25ers lined up. One more year?

As per Kieger, The Lions are 21-12 and alive in the WBIT, so she'll probably get to next year...when Marisa and Owusu will be gone. Who knows, maybe sharing the ball will work: there's talent there, but it hasn't cracked the B1G regular season yet.

Reaction Score
Re McKeown, did he return to coach the team this season? Curious as to whether NW is waiting to hear what his medical situation is, which could explain things.

Reaction Score
As per Kieger, The Lions are 21-12 and alive in the WBIT, so she'll probably get to next year...when Marisa and Owusu will be gone. Who knows, maybe sharing the ball will work: there's talent there, but it hasn't cracked the B1G regular season yet.
Well, part of that may be tough to overcome.

I seem to recall reading about Owusu not being needed because Penn State already had Marisa (never played for a winning team prior to Owusu's arrival; other B1G coaches never thought she was as good as her numbers), Kapinus (low bball IQ; fouls out of games against teams with winning records), and Ciezki (gun shy against teams with a pulse--i.e. every other Big Ten team). Yet--it's Owusu (and Valladay--remember her?) that led them to the bulk of their conference wins this year. Marisa leaves and takes the bulk of the losing with her.

Speaking of Penn State (and the reason why they've had to climb out of their rut), I'm shocked that there has been no mention of Coquese Washington and the absolute mess she has brewing at Rutgers. Team looked worse than the previous season. Smikle gone and Adams could potentially leave as well. Should have hired Jolette Law instead--will never understand why they didn't.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, part of that may be tough to overcome.

I seem to recall reading about Owusu not being needed because Penn State already had Marisa (never played for a winning team prior to Owusu's arrival; other B1G coaches never thought she was as good as her numbers), Kapinus (low bball IQ; fouls out of games against teams with winning records), and Ciezki (gun shy against teams with a pulse--i.e. every other Big Ten team). Yet--it's Owusu (and Valladay--remember her?) that led them to the bulk of their conference wins this year. Marisa leaves and takes the bulk of the losing with her.

Speaking of Penn State (and the reason why they've had to climb out of their rut), I'm shocked that there has been no mention of Coquese Washington and the absolute mess she has brewing at Rutgers. Team looked worse than the previous season. Smikle gone and Adams could potentially leave as well. Should have hired Jolette Law instead--will never understand why they didn't.
I'd add an "Owusu and/or Valladay". to your comment.

- Taylor Valladay, if you recall, was initially recruited by Kieger when she was at Marquette. It just took a few years and three schools for Valladay to get there. One could make the argument that she was driving the Lions for 2/3 of the season. When she played, the Lions were 16-5. (Since then, 5-7) When Owusu joined them, there were 4-0, all in Big 10 play, then Valladay was injured for the year. It's too bad, because she was having, by far, her best year of collegiate play which, now, unfortunately, is done.

The Lions and Owusu took some time getting used to not having her in the lineup, including a 5-game losing streak. However, they've rebounded a bit. Overall, their record with Owusu is 9-7 including these two tournament wins.

- The reason why Washington and Rutgers have not been brought up is that DefenseBB is looking at coaches who are on a warm or hot seat. Yes. Washington inherited a mess and has seemingly made it worse. But, she's got a contract that protects her for....now. Most BY'ers are aware of the fire when you pass the campus on I-95.

Reaction Score
I'd add an "Owusu and/or Valladay". to your comment.

- Taylor Valladay, if you recall, was initially recruited by Kieger when she was at Marquette. It just took a few years and three schools for Valladay to get there. One could make the argument that she was driving the Lions for 2/3 of the season. When she played, the Lions were 16-5. (Since then, 5-7) When Owusu joined them, there were 4-0, all in Big 10 play, then Valladay was injured for the year. It's too bad, because she was having, by far, her best year of collegiate play which, now, unfortunately, is done.

The Lions and Owusu took some time getting used to not having her in the lineup, including a 5-game losing streak. However, they've rebounded a bit. Overall, their record with Owusu is 9-7 including these two tournament wins.

- The reason why Washington and Rutgers have not been brought up is that DefenseBB is looking at coaches who are on a warm or hot seat. Yes. Washington inherited a mess and has seemingly made it worse. But, she's got a contract that protects her for....now. Most BY'ers are aware of the fire when you pass the campus on I-95.
I agree with you.

The main reasons why I made the decision to follow Penn State this past season were Owusu and Valladay. I've followed both for a while and was intrigued when they both picked PSU. We all know about Ashley's backstory, but Tay is an interesting case. As you noted, she was recruited by Kieger out of HS but never played for her at Marquette. Then, she gets a chance of a lifetime to play for a P5 at UVA. While it wasn't under the best circumstances (playing for an incompetent coach who really wanted her there and then playing for the popular new coach who didn't), she did get a chance to experience high-level bball in a tough conference. The "full-circle" moment between her and Kieger was cool to witness because that coaching staff developed her and had her playing better than she ever had before (she drove me nuts with the missed lay-ups at UVA). Her career-ending injury was gut-wrenching and it left Penn State without a vocal leader on the court.

I'll say now that I'm not a Carolyn Kieger fan whatsoever (she makes head-scratching decisions--like hitching her coaching wagon to Leilani Kapinus, who has not developed as she should've by this point in her career--and is extremely stubborn), so what happens to her specifically does not move me in the least. But I do respect a few members of her staff and realize that her success at PSU is tied to theirs and their ability to advance in their coaching careers.

Reaction Score
Crazy that Missouri hasn't made a move. They aren't even competitive with the top half of the conference. They're miles away from competing with even the middle of the conference, and she is married to a style better suited to the Summit League that the SEC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Re McKeown, did he return to coach the team this season? Curious as to whether NW is waiting to hear what his medical situation is, which could explain things.
Yes, he returned. I don't think he missed that many games, really, nor did I ever hear much about it. He looked like himself the one game I saw.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Crazy that Missouri hasn't made a move. They aren't even competitive with the top half of the conference. They're miles away from competing with even the middle of the conference, and she is married to a style better suited to the Summit League that the SEC.
Remember that their AD came to Arizona, so there may be a bit of a gummed up works there.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Remember that their AD came to Arizona, so there may be a bit of a gummed up works there.
Me thinks you may have a point. In the Capt. Obvious of this thread, Pingleton survives and now has a year to find the best realtor possible for next spring :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
At one point, Charmin Smith was on the warm --- even hot -- seat. Now she's got a three-year extension to start her cross-country flights to the ACC.

(courtesy of Raoul)

Reaction Score
At one point, Charmin Smith was on the warm --- even hot -- seat. Now she's got a three-year extension to start her cross-country flights to the ACC.

(courtesy of Raoul)

I'm glad Charmin got extended. I've been a season ticket holder since Boyle took over and elevated the program. When Lindsay bailed (in mid-June) on Cal, Charmin left her new job as an assistant in the W to return. She's done some good things with the program and there are lots of off-court intangibles she offers her players which aren't always obvious. She's an excellent mentor for her players and cares deeply ab out promoting coaching opportunities for other African American coaches throughout women's basketball. I like Charmin and the direction the team is headed. The move to the ACC will obviously offer new challenges, but I'm hoping that it will expand Cal's recruiting footprint somewhat. At any rate, I'm happy it's settled and we can move on. Portal player most needed is a point guard.

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I'm glad Charmin got extended. I've been a season ticket holder since Boyle took over and elevated the program. When Lindsey bailed (in mid-June) on Cal, Charmin left her new job as an assistant in the W to return. She's done some good things with the program and there are lots of off-court intangibles she offers her players which aren't always obvious. She's an excellent mentor for her players and cares deeply ab out promoting coaching opportunities for other African American coaches throughout women's basketball. I like Charmin and the direction the team is headed. The move to the ACC will obviously offer new challenges, but I'm hoping that it will expand Cal's recruiting footprint somewhat. At any rate, I'm happy it's settled and we can move on. Portal player most needed is a point guard.
I'm looking forward to NC State's trips to the west...to begin new rivalries with Cal and Stanford.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm glad Charmin got extended. I've been a season ticket holder since Boyle took over and elevated the program. When Lindsey bailed (in mid-June) on Cal, Charmin left her new job as an assistant in the W to return. She's done some good things with the program and there are lots of off-court intangibles she offers her players which aren't always obvious. She's an excellent mentor for her players and cares deeply ab out promoting coaching opportunities for other African American coaches throughout women's basketball. I like Charmin and the direction the team is headed. The move to the ACC will obviously offer new challenges, but I'm hoping that it will expand Cal's recruiting footprint somewhat. At any rate, I'm happy it's settled and we can move on. Portal player most needed is a point guard.
Thanks for your thoughts and insight. I'm pretty sure Cal and Stanford visit South Bend and the Irish next season. Charmin and Niele Ivey get along well, based on their interactions when they played the Shamrock Series game in St. Louis. There will be respect at that contest.

Just out of interest, any ideas on a possible portal candidate at point guard if you had your druthers? :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
Thanks for your thoughts and insight. I'm pretty sure Cal and Stanford visit South Bend and the Irish next season. Charmin and Niele Ivey get along well, based on their interactions when they played the Shamrock Series game in St. Louis. There will be respect at that contest.

Just out of interest, any ideas on a possible portal candidate at point guard if you had your druthers? :rolleyes:;)
Well, of course there's Chen....perhaps she'd be interested in one of the many fine graduate programs at Cal? However, given that she's a top target, and only has one year of eligibility it might be more realistic to think that Cal will look for a floor leader that would be around for more than a year. Of course, if Chen wants to be a Bear we'd certainly welcome her with open arms. I've not really kept up with the portal options....it's all a bit mind-numbing if you ask me so I'll trust the coaches to do their best. They did a great job last year.

Looking forward to the ACC and contests with Notre Dame. Time for some new, fun rivalries to develop.

:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom