Coaches Disapprove Flopping? | The Boneyard

Coaches Disapprove Flopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do Boneyarders think most coaches tend to disapprove of their own players flopping?

Reaction Score
Yes, but flopping is part of the gamesmanship. Better the call go for you than against you. Besides, if an official clearly sees the play, flopping does not work against the correct call.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is flopping and then there is flopping! I think most player 'flop' on charges, rather than taking the full impact standing straight, and some of those are borderline. And I think all coaches approve of those. The dramatic non-contact or touch flops are a different story, and seem to be particular to certain teams which suggests it is at least partially coached, or passed from player to player.

Reaction Score
Intentionally attempting to deceive officials is cheating. Calling it "gamesmanship" doesn't change that. I've always felt that it an official can clearly see that a player fell down without contact they should be able to call a technical foul.

Reaction Score
Intentionally attempting to deceive officials is cheating. Calling it "gamesmanship" doesn't change that. I've always felt that it an official can clearly see that a player fell down without contact they should be able to call a technical foul.
Or at least get yelled at by Stewie to get up.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great to have a flop-o-meter at the notre dame game?
upload_2015-9-29_15-38-26.png

Reaction Score
Yes, but flopping is part of the gamesmanship. Better the call go for you than against you. Besides, if an official clearly sees the play, flopping does not work against the correct call.

My unscientific belief is that ALL COACHES teach it. As long as it's allowed it it part of the game. If the NCAA does not want it to be allowed--issue a technical foul for each attempt--but as a Ref try to discern the difference between a contact falling or a flop to avert being damaged or a flop ala McGraw. If it's in you treasure trove of tricks to play and it is NOT a technical---do it. It is not immoral or illegal or unethical--it's basketball at least until it is stopped. All do it!!! I cannot think of a recent (with in the last 7 years) a Uconn player who didn't do it.. Can you??

Yes I too hate that ND does it and gets away with it. But more than that I detest the REFS calling an obvious contact made by an offensive player being called a foul against the defense--ala McGraw--it too is legal until it isn't.. I call it jumping into the defense.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why the defensive player feels it's necessary to hit the deck to get a charge call. The refs should certainly be able to see if the player was in position before the collision and if the chargee can saved a bruised fanny or worse by stepping back after the collision, why not do it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
European football got so bad that the refs are now allowed to give yellow cards for flops so at least in that sport they have gone the 'technical' route.
Love that post HR! had not seen that play, but looks like they both had lost of static electricity built up, and when they touched they both got a 50,000 volt shock!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Personally I think Baylor had the best flopping game ever when we last played them at home. It was pretty hilarious. Anyone got that game on tape? It is brutal to watch. At one point my wife walked out of the room and she heard the refs whistle blow on the TV and she goes... Let me guess, a Baylor player has hit the deck? Lol, she was right. As far as teaching it, I am not so sure. I think more often then not it just becomes a product of environment, if a team has 1 really effective flopper the madness spreads to the whole team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think flopping is one of those fan things where when your players fall down its always a result of legitimate contact or, hey, maybe she lost her balance. When their players go down, they are flopping floppers and their coach is a flop-losopher who mentors flopping floppers.

I actually think there is very little flopping in WCBB overall. I can't recall one team that I think is a very egregious violator. Then again, I am a fan of the team most often cited as an egregious violator, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
When I refer to flopping I am not talking about falling as a result of contact. In fact I think players should be taught how to fall. I've seen knees and ankles hurt simply because a player tried not to fall after contact and stuck a leg out in that attempt only to be helped off the court. Better to get a bruise on one's ass than to injury a leg joint in an attempt to stay upright. And falling backward helps to lessen the jolt of contact.

I am referring to players who literally jump backwards onto their butts when a replay clearly shows that no contact ever occurred. It is probably impractical to ask refs to call this, but how about suspending a player for a game if clear and incontrovertible evidence can be provided (post game) that shows the fall was faked? The NFL has instituted post game fines/suspensions for flagrant hits. I'd bet that coaches would think twice about teaching this fakery if they knew they were risking the loss of a player for a game.

Reaction Score
When I refer to flopping I am not talking about falling as a result of contact. In fact I think players should be taught how to fall. I've seen knees and ankles hurt simply because a player tried not to fall after contact and stuck a leg out in that attempt only to be helped off the court. Better to get a bruise on one's ass than to injury a leg joint in an attempt to stay upright. And falling backward helps to lessen the jolt of contact.

I am referring to players who literally jump backwards onto their butts when a replay clearly shows that no contact ever occurred. It is probably impractical to ask refs to call this, but how about suspending a player for a game if clear and incontrovertible evidence can be provided (post game) that shows the fall was faked? The NFL has instituted post game fines/suspensions for flagrant hits. I'd bet that coaches would think twice about teaching this fakery if they knew they were risking the loss of a player for a game.

This same crap has infected the NHL the past 5-6 seasons now. It is disgusting. The refs have the power to call a penalty on a player who blatantly flops but IMO it isn't called often enough, nor is the penalty harsh enough (2 minutes in the penalty box, big whoop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom