Coach Ollie on Sports Nation | The Boneyard

Coach Ollie on Sports Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Stumbled across this video clip this morning.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11282639

This might be the most direct I have seen coach when discussing his decision to stay at UConn. Basically saying this was not the "Right Time" to go to the NBA. It almost seems inevitable that its going to happen one day....

Let's enjoy the next couple years no matter what may be on the horizon. Hopefully he can pull in a couple 'chips along the way. Hopefully Calhoun is working him over on why UConn will always be the best place for him. Hopefully the school ponies up again when he deserves it. Hopefully we as fans make it impossible for him to ever leave.

But, I also hope this program is prepared for what might happen. Hopefully Ricky Moore & KFree are absorbing as much as possible. Hopefully someone in the family is ready to step up if Coach decides it is the Right Time.

One more thing - if he does decide to leave no one will ever be able to accuse him of pulling the wool over anyone's eyes like some coaches have done in the past. He is being as straight forward as he needs to be. No need to commit to anything forever.

Reaction Score
Well said, Sir Penfeld. Let's all enjoy the ride while it lasts. It's off to a helluva start.

Reaction Score
KO is very smart. He is going to continually keep his market value up and keep UConn on notice that they will have to pay him and support his program as well as any other school in the country supports theirs. JC did the same thing, though not as smoothly at times. He will never let us or the school take him for granted. We are better off not even paying attention to that stuff because even if KO intends to stay at UConn for 30 years, he's never going to say it unless he sees value in saying it. Maybe he can get a lifetime contract or at least a state school's version of one and he'll openly commit but it isn't going to happen at his current pay rate.

Hopefully, KO feels strongly that he'll see UConn through to a power conference at a minimum before leaving. I think JC entrusted him with an incredible opportunity and with that gift, he owes JC the respect of spending a significant amount of time here. Just my opinion. I could never quit while JC was still around if I were in KO's shoes. I'd feel like I was being ungrateful.

Reaction Score
Just felt so good to see him their on the national stage. Represents u conn in the best way. So proud of him and the husky's

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Hopefully, KO feels strongly that he'll see UConn through to a power conference at a minimum before leaving. I think JC entrusted him with an incredible opportunity and with that gift, he owes JC the respect of spending a significant amount of time here. Just my opinion. I could never quit while JC was still around if I were in KO's shoes. I'd feel like I was being ungrateful.

Not only entrusted him, but basically strong armed him into the position. I have no doubt KO understands this and will not leave UConn in a bad spot if he ever leaves at all. Calhoun's biggest thing is to keep UConn in the family. KO won't leave unless someone else is ready to step in.

pj

Reaction Score
Hopefully he enjoys UConn a lot and stays a long time, but I can see how a college coach could easily hate the never-ending recruiting competition where you have to spend most of the summer traveling to gyms to watch kids play no-defense scrimmages. He would be free of that in the NBA, scouts and the GM would handle obtaining the players. The big advantages of college coaching are (a) the opportunity to coach up young kids whose games still have a lot of upside, and (b) greater job security if you are a good coach. But, if you want more continuity among players and enjoy coaching the highest-level players, the NBA may be preferred; and the top NBA coaches can write their own ticket. I can see a competitive guy like Ollie wanting to test himself at every level of coaching. If he doesn't like the NBA he could make his way back to college.

Reaction Score
Making 3 MM a year and having job security can trump making 5 MM a year with the possibility of getting $&@t canned after a few years in the nba. Although those buyouts are quite profitable- : ).

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I could see him going to the right situation in the NBA, but I really couldn't see him ever coaching another college team.

But I really believe that barring anything catastrophic happening in the UConn program, any move is 5 years and at least one more championship away, minimum.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
But I really believe that barring anything catastrophic happening in the UConn program, any move is 5 years and at least one more championship away, minimum.

I would take that in a minute.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ollie as a coach... but ANOTHER National Championship???

Sign me up!

Almost any price is not too high for that.

Reaction Score
I think an important point that hasn't gotten much discussion is the fact that when KO leaves, because of the success he's had, it will be that much easier to attract the next head coach.

Nobody wants to be the guy that follows the legend. And I also think that not many up-and-comers would want to be the guy who has to rebuild a program after the guy who follows the legend fails.

KO's success makes the UConn coaching job a much more attractive one.

Reaction Score
I think if KO were to head to the NBA at some point it would because he was ready for a new challenge, not a money grab. I envision a point where he feels the grass growing under his feet corresponding to UConn sitting at the top, having experienced years of success under KO with coaching talent primed to take the helm. Therefore, I don't fear him moving on eventually.

I refuse to consider the possibility of him leaving because we end up bogged down in conference purgatory. It's too nice of a day to ponder a situation like that.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I think if KO were to head to the NBA at some point it would because he was ready for a new challenge, not a money grab. I envision a point where he feels the grass growing under his feet corresponding to UConn sitting at the top, having experienced years of success under KO with coaching talent primed to take the helm. Therefore, I don't fear him moving on eventually.

I refuse to consider the possibility of him leaving because we end up bogged down in conference purgatory. It's too nice of a day to ponder a situation like that.

I have to imagine there is something appealing about being a marginal player in the NBA that nobody really wanted all that much AND having the opportunity to compete to be one of the top coaches in the NBA.

Triumphant return kind of a thing. High school nerd comes back to the reunion with a model on his arm and a billion dollars in the bank.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, KO feels strongly that he'll see UConn through to a power conference at a minimum before leaving.
This is what's most important. Once we get into a power conference, we'll be able to remain a powerhouse by paying a top coach to come here, whether that be Ollie or someone else.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Stumbled across this video clip this morning.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11282639

This might be the most direct I have seen coach when discussing his decision to stay at UConn. Basically saying this was not the "Right Time" to go to the NBA. It almost seems inevitable that its going to happen one day....

Let's enjoy the next couple years no matter what may be on the horizon. Hopefully he can pull in a couple 'chips along the way. Hopefully Calhoun is working him over on why UConn will always be the best place for him. Hopefully the school ponies up again when he deserves it. Hopefully we as fans make it impossible for him to ever leave.

But, I also hope this program is prepared for what might happen. Hopefully Ricky Moore & KFree are absorbing as much as possible. Hopefully someone in the family is ready to step up if Coach decides it is the Right Time.

One more thing - if he does decide to leave no one will ever be able to accuse him of pulling the wool over anyone's eyes like some coaches have done in the past. He is being as straight forward as he needs to be. No need to commit to anything forever.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....no way KO leaves while JC is still alive. And the longer KO stays, the more likely he'll stay forever. I'm hoping JC lives to 100+.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How old are KO's kids? I'm sure that plays a factor. Kevin is very aware of the demands of playing in the NBA. That's a lot of dates away from the family. If he really wanted that he would have become an assistant in the NBA instead of coming to UConn. There is a mutual love between Kevin, this state and this school. I don't see him leaving for a long time, if at all.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
How old are KO's kids? I'm sure that plays a factor. Kevin is very aware of the demands of playing in the NBA. That's a lot of dates away from the family. If he really wanted that he would have become an assistant in the NBA instead of coming to UConn. There is a mutual love between Kevin, this state and this school. I don't see him leaving for a long time, if at all.

I believe his daughter is 13... + 5 = college

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wouldn't shock me to see him eventually coach Team USA.

Reaction Score
I think if we ever get to a P5 conference, Ollie will stay for life. And I think either way he's going to stay around long enough to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not that's going to happen.

No reasonable person would expect a great young coach like KO to limit themselves to the AAC in the long term.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought this was obvious by how his contract is structured. It costs him a much smaller penalty if he leaves after 3 or 4 years, so we are not guaranteed five years. Also much smaller penalty if he leaves for NBA than another college. He is definitely leaving that door open. Hopefully, he will find it too hard to leave this place he loves.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I think if we ever get to a P5 conference, Ollie will stay for life. And I think either way he's going to stay around long enough to be able to make an informed decision on whether or not that's going to happen.

No reasonable person would expect a great young coach like KO to limit themselves to the AAC in the long term.

My dream scenario (assuming Ollie wants to coach in the NBA) is that he stays long enough for us to win another NC (yes, this a dream scenario) and shepard us to a P5 conference before going to the NBA and winning a title there. He'll always promote UCONN. Always.

I know that BB doesn't matter in conference re-alignment but I think another NC would get the media talking about UCONN and why we belong. I don't think CR is a logical & fact driven as someone like FranktheTank believes - there is more to it than that. And, yeah, Diaco - Please win!

Reaction Score
Successor: Coach K-Free? Ray?

I'm always surprised by the people who float Ray's name as a possible future coach. It's never the superstars who go on to make great coaches, it's usually the lunchpail guys. Someone like Freeman (as you suggested) or Moore would make a lot more sense.

Has Ray ever indicated any interest in coaching?

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
I'm always surprised by the people who float Ray's name as a possible future coach. It's never the superstars who go on to make great coaches, it's usually the lunchpail guys. Someone like Freeman (as you suggested) or Moore would make a lot more sense. Has Ray ever indicated any interest in coaching?

It's irrelevant. Ray is an absolute, balls out workaholic. If he wants to coach, He'll probably succeed.

Reaction Score

Gave you a like just for your name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69