Co-eds are the cure for the summertime blues... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Co-eds are the cure for the summertime blues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No more, no less than an AKA rush video would do the reverse.;)

I apologize for posting a video that is being taken beyond it's intended purpose of answering the question of "where are the co-eds").
You think maybe the presence of minority greek organizations is a necessary response to the exact mentality and racism (however explicit it is) that led to a video like the one you posted?

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any mystery that that is the intent, as corroborated by several members of UA sororities:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/us/sorority-exposes-its-rejection-of-black-candidate.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/nytnow/sorority-video-generates-charges-of-discrimination.html

It is definitely still a very different culture, as yesterday's news reinforces:

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_cheer_coach_resigns_am.html

We've been considering southern universities for our oldest daughter and that was an issue that concerned me, so in the past six months I have been engaging people from all walks for their thoughts and experiences.

Most striking to me was a recent conversation with an acquaintance whose daughter is attending UA as a freshman this fall. Her daughter, who is very much into competitive cheerleading, wanted a big southern university with a strong Greek system. I started to explain my concerns about diversity in the south and she cut me off, figuring she knew where I was going, but she was wrong by 180°, as she explained, "Oh, I know what you mean. That was our concern, too, but when we visited we were very impressed with how segregated it is. I mean, of course many of the athletes are black, but other than that it is really a safe, clean and protected environment where there is not much interaction with locals, etc."

I let the conversation tail off soon after that, as we were conveniently interrupted by someone about something else, and we were on the sidelines of a sporting event and I didn't know where to go from there without making it extremely uncomfortable.

I don't expect to change anyone's mind about what they believe or want for their kids, but suffice to say that the video does not depict an environment where I want my daughter to attend college.
It's kinda funny because I have a second cousin (we are mostly based in NJ/PA) who is about to start college, looking to go to Alabama, to cheer. I know she's gonna end up in one of these videos one day.

Reaction Score
I see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG in their video. Just absolutely gorgeous young females in a sorority. They should be able to let in whom they want and if its just other gorgeous blonde coeds, then so be it. As long as these ladies are students in good standing with the university then I see absolutely no problem.

When I went to UConn in the late 60s only a few blacks were welcomed into the Greek houses (primarily the 3 Jewish Frats). And Jews were not welcomed into the 18 or so other Greek houses. One would think 50 years later we would be farther along as a society.

So yeah to suggest there is nothing wrong with that video is either naive, short sighted or leads to more troubling questions.

Reaction Score
The Alabama video deficts a great organization that doesnt need to and shouldnt change a thing. Great just the way it is.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Alabama video deficts a great organization that doesnt need to and shouldnt change a thing. Great just the way it is.

Kind of puts this gem in context:

Problem is the good ones are the ones leaving and the "dead weight" is multiplying and growing. This happens since the "dead weight" people start populating at age 14-15. They don't care, the state will take care of them with welfare a plenty.

Like I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind about what they believe.

In before cesspooled...

Reaction Score
Kind of puts this gem in context:

Like I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind about what they believe.

In before cesspooled...
I just feel bad for the kid now.

He's clearly not kidding or being super tongue-in-cheek here.

Reaction Score
Does that pix suggest that cheerleader quality may 'rebound' this year? or is that overly-opto?

Reaction Score
The 57th best looking girl in that video is still gorgeous. Stunning video, but kind of sad at the same time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I see ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG in their video. Just absolutely gorgeous young females in a sorority. They should be able to let in whom they want and if its just other gorgeous blonde coeds, then so be it. As long as these ladies are students in good standing with the university then I see absolutely no problem.

Agree. among the many silly outgrowths of political correctness is schools attempting to mandate who students can be friends with. the sorority is a social organization. They should be able to pick their own friends.

Reaction Score
When I was at UConn in the mid to late eighties I was in the largest fraternity on campus. We had a very diverse Brotherhood with people from all ethnicities and races. We also had jocks, nerds, scholars and partiers. Thats what made it a great organization. Diversity can be a whole lot better than a homogeneous population in many cases.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When I was at UConn in the mid to late eighties I was in the largest fraternity on campus. We had a very diverse Brotherhood with people from all ethnicities and races. We also had jocks, nerds, scholars and partiers. Thats what made it a great organization. Diversity can be a whole lot better than a homogeneous population in many cases.

I agree completely. I also wouldn't want to mandate membership to a social group. If bimbos want to hang with other bimbos, that is their call.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree. among the many silly outgrowths of political correctness is schools attempting to mandate who students can be friends with. the sorority is a social organization. They should be able to pick their own friends.
I agree completely. I also wouldn't want to mandate membership to a social group. If bimbos want to hang with other bimbos, that is their call.
Did you read the articles? They tried to pick their own friends. They were told by alumnae that they could not choose black friends.

That's what you're agreeing with.

Reaction Score

Probably the same group tolling the Star Wars board the other day ticked off that a back man ('Finn' played by John Boyega) is holding a lighsaber and appears to be one of the 2 key good guys in the movie. They were upset earlier in the season when the same character was seen in storm trooper armor. in the first trailer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did you read the articles? They tried to pick their own friends. They were told by alumnae that they could not choose black friends.

That's what you're agreeing with.

I am not agreeing with them. I am saying that neither you, me, the school nor anyone else should not be picking their friends. If the young ladies of that sorority do not like their alumnae telling them who they can be friends with, they are welcome to leave the sorority or tell their alumnae to buzz off. If they want to let the Alumnae have a say, then that is their call and they should live with the consequences. Sororities are SOCIAL organizations. Nothing more. They should be given a lot of leeway to choose their membership.

I am sure all of us hung out with some idiots at UConn. How would you like it if the school told you which idiots you could and could not be friends with?

It is interesting that random, unstructured groups of students can do as they wish or associate with whom they wish, but the minute a few Greek letters are attached to a group of students, everyone associated with the school thinks they should decide how the group operates.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How would you like it if the school told you which idiots you could and could not be friends with?
Lord, you're obtuse. This is exactly what was happening there.

The members said they were pressured by outsiders, including a case in which, The Crimson White reported, the recruit was dropped from consideration at the insistence of a volunteer sorority adviser who also works for the university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom