Clock and foul management | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clock and foul management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To me it's a no brainer. Up three with less than 10 secs left, you give the foul.

Definitely not a no-brainer with 6-9 seconds left, since that leaves enough time for the opponent to intentionally foul and then have another attempt at a tie - but this time possibly needing only a 2-point shot. Might be ther right call with less than 6 but even then a lot can go wrong when giving an intentional foul - including ending up with it being a 3-shot foul or having a missed FT rebounded by the offense for a potential tying shot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Typically in that situation defenders are instructed to play tight man and switch on screens so as not to give the shooter any space. I'm pretty sure Mo's job was to stay with Orrange as there was no way Bonnie Samuelson was going to get a good shot off with Stewie guarding her. I think she lost her composure and made a defensive mistake.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how we up 6 with 2 min left and kiah and stewie took shots early in the shot clock. One play when nurse had a fast break where she was called for an offensive foul should of passed the ball to stewie that was a big play and would of saved her a foul.

Reaction Score
I also watched the replay. Samuelson was totally covered. I agree with UConnCat. If Moriah had stayed with Orrange, Amber would have had a very low percentage try at a three and Geno's no foul strategy most likely would have succeeded.

Reaction Score
There wasn't enough time for all of those scenarios to happen. At some point time would have expired.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I mentioned that in the game thread. We never seem to be able to carry out a play coming out of a time out.
We just need to play more close games until Geno learns how to coach at winning time. But I'll cut the neophyte some slack. I like the idea of fouling with 5 or less seconds left. But I'm an idiot because it's rarely done by any coach

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things. One guard the perimeter and give them the 2 pts but not the trey. Second call a time out and tell the team what strategy you want so a shot is not taken with seconds left when your trying to hold the ball and run the clock down. Also you want only your best foul shooters handling the ball at that point so if they are fouled your chances of locking the game up with a 4+ pt lead is there. Third not blaming the refs for the way they called the game but in the first half when Stewie blocked that shot and they called her for a foul UConn looked to be on a run and that was followed up by a missed foul shot with Stewie going up to grab the rebound and the Stanford player knocking it out of her hands, Stanford getting the ball and scoring. 4pts that could've gone UConns way and given the a bigger lead. I ask you to re watch the game I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom