CLC Names Top Selling Universities and Manufacturers for 2013-14 | The Boneyard

CLC Names Top Selling Universities and Manufacturers for 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
http://www.clc.com/News/Annual-Rankings-2013-14.aspx

UConn comes in at #47, behind Cincinnati and ahead of BYU.

Those aren't everybody. I think those are only IMG schools. Just as a quick glance, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, NCST, Miami, and Mississippi St aren't on there. No matter how you think of some of those schools, they should always be higher than Texas St., James Madison, Montana St., and Boston University.

Still interesting, though.

Top-75 Universities

1. Texas 26. Arizona State 51. Pittsburgh
2. Alabama 27. Arizona 52. East Carolina
3. Michigan 28. Washington 53. Rutgers
4. Notre Dame 29. Virginia Tech 54. Montana
5. Georgia 30. Duke 55. Boston College
6. Florida 31. Oregon State 56. Vanderbilt
7. LSU 32. Illinois 57. UCF
8. Florida State 33. Syracuse 58. Fresno State
9. Texas A&M 34. UCLA 59. Northwestern
10. North Carolina 35. Mississippi 60. Georgetown
11. Auburn 36. Minnesota 61. Wyoming
12. Oklahoma 37. Purdue 62. New Mexico
13. Nebraska 38. Stanford 63. Louisiana-Lafayette
14. Arkansas 39. Washington State 64. U.S. Military Academy
15. Wisconsin 40. Utah 65. Texas State
16. Tennessee 41. California 66. Nevada
17. South Carolina 42. Boise State 67. South Florida
18. Penn State 43. Maryland 68. Marshall
19. Missouri 44. Virginia 69. Wake Forest
20. West Virginia 45. TCU 70. James Madison
21. Kansas 46. Cincinnati 71. Montana State
22. Clemson 47. Connecticut 72. Delaware
23. Oklahoma State 48. BYU 73. Gonzaga
24. Louisville 49. Colorado 74. Boston University
25. Texas Tech 50. Georgia Tech 75. Villanova

Sorry, the editing won't come out right.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wake Forest. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Those aren't everybody. I think those are only IMG schools. Just as a quick glance, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana, Oregon, NCST, Miami, and Mississippi St aren't on there. No matter how you think of some of those schools, they should always be higher than Texas St., James Madison, Montana St., and Boston University.

Also missing are Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State and Cal-Berkeley I think.

Reaction Score
IMG's contract with UConn gets UConn quite a bit of dough. I wonder how UConn manages to get $25m+ of licensing with this number being so low.

I have to wonder whether there's more funny accounting going on.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Also missing are Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State and Cal-Berkeley I think.

I believe that's #41 - California. I didn't see the others as either.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Kansas is there at #21. Kentucky is currently not a CLC affiliate school (they have been in the past). Note that CLC is owned by IMG. IMG money included endorsement deals from nike, dd, coke etc

More than 10 years ago I was involved in sports product marketing. Ohio State, which is independent (ie not a CLC school), was probably the most difficult school to deal with. Notre Dame also had a lot of restrictions (esp in regards to which country product was manufactured). Duke was Duke and typically denied things that required minor alterations instead of approving things with changes as most other schools did.

In regards to product sales, UConn just wasn't a top seller compared to Michigan, Ohio State, pretty much every SEC school. But it could be worse: see Rutgers. I never once produced a Rutgers product - 0 demand.

Reaction Score
UConn is behind Boise State and Cincinnati. That is surprising to me. I thought for sure UConn would be the highest non-P5 school on this list. Concerning the B1G, UConn only leads newcomer Rutgers and Northwestern, which is a smaller private school. Football really drives the bus for everything apparently, not just expansion.

Reaction Score
Kansas is there at #21. Kentucky is currently not a CLC affiliate school (they have been in the past). Note that CLC is owned by IMG. IMG money included endorsement deals from nike, dd, coke etc

More than 10 years ago I was involved in sports product marketing. Ohio State, which is independent (ie not a CLC school), was probably the most difficult school to deal with. Notre Dame also had a lot of restrictions (esp in regards to which country product was manufactured). Duke was Duke and typically denied things that required minor alterations instead of approving things with changes as most other schools did.

In regards to product sales, UConn just wasn't a top seller compared to Michigan, Ohio State, pretty much every SEC school. But it could be worse: see Rutgers. I never once produced a Rutgers product - 0 demand.
I'm a little surprised cause 10 yrs ago i saw virtually nada RU related gear but now I see block R's all over especially the closer you get to North/Central Jersey...I live in the Capitol region of Albany and see a few every day even up here but more down near NYC and the Jersey shore and if they start winning again in FB I could see an explosion with BTN exposure instead of ESpin3 garbage they previously had to swallow! I think we should at least hope so showing the old midwest guard the value of media capital exposure to the conference previously held back by midwest perception here. As popular as the B1G was it can reach new heights by dominating the wealth and population centers of the nation.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
NickyNewark said:
I'm a little surprised cause 10 yrs ago i saw virtually nada RU related gear but now I see block R's all over especially the closer you get to North/Central Jersey...I live in the Capitol region of Albany and see a few every day even up here but more down near NYC and the Jersey shore and if they start winning again in FB I could see an explosion with BTN exposure instead of ESpin3 garbage they previously had to swallow! I think we should at least hope so showing the old midwest guard the value of media capital exposure to the conference previously held back by midwest perception here. As popular as the B1G was it can reach new heights by dominating the wealth and population centers of the nation.
Yes. I was referring to 10 years ago and just poking fun. Rutgers is holding its own on merch sales based on where it is on the list now. A couple of good football seasons within the latest decade and its entrance into the B1G have helped.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
B1GOSU said:
UConn is behind Boise State and Cincinnati. That is surprising to me. I thought for sure UConn would be the highest non-P5 school on this list. Concerning the B1G, UConn only leads newcomer Rutgers and Northwestern, which is a smaller private school. Football really drives the bus for everything apparently, not just expansion.
keep in mind this merch sales only. UConn's IMG deal is the major money maker - sponsorships, etc - and is one of the tops in the country.

Just because UConn fans don't buy chotskies and tshirts as fervently as some other non p5 schools doesn't mean that they aren't a highly marketable national program (not that you said that).

Reaction Score
The fact that UConn is ahead of Rutgers and BC right now says all you need to know about UConn's place and potential in this megalopolis.

Reaction Score

Does anyone even know what's being counted here? UConn's licensing was at $26m. Go to USA Today's CAA database and look at UConn compared to the old BE members including Rutgers. Louisville and Syracuse and Pitt too. UConn was way ahead.

Reaction Score
It's based on total Royalties paid by CLC through retail merch sales - not the licensing deals that IMG is paying the schools.

Reaction Score
It's based on total Royalties paid by CLC through retail merch sales - not the licensing deals that IMG is paying the schools.

My response was to B1GOSU who somehow deduced this was football related and a big problem for UConn.

Reaction Score
19 of the top 20 are football schools. Only North Carolina loves the round ball

His implication was about UConn football. Compared to our peers. I pointed out that total licensing at UConn doubled that of our peers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did anybody bother to note this: * The University of Connecticut moved from No. 53 to No. 47 due in part to the success of its basketball national championship licensing program.

When I was in Storrs, everyone wore UCONN Champion sweatshirts. That being said, non-students didn't. At Kansas, everyone working at Taco Bell or Walmart has a Kansas Jayhawk shirt on for game day. The school dominates its community to a much greater degree. I think that effect, missing at UConn, plus our small alumni base compared to most of these schools, explains the ranking.

Reaction Score
Maybe alumni base is the answer, but is anyone else surprised that we did not get a bigger bump from the BB teams? I was in Hartford at the time of the parade last spring and given the number of people and amount of championship specific gear I saw I'm surprised we are not higher than 47.

Reaction Score
Did anybody bother to note this: * The University of Connecticut moved from No. 53 to No. 47 due in part to the success of its basketball national championship licensing program.

When I was in Storrs, everyone wore UCONN Champion sweatshirts. That being said, non-students didn't. At Kansas, everyone working at Taco Bell or Walmart has a Kansas Jayhawk shirt on for game day. The school dominates its community to a much greater degree. I think that effect, missing at UConn, plus our small alumni base compared to most of these schools, explains the ranking.

Really? That's surprising to me. I had always pictured UConn absorbing the non-students in their state like PSU, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, etc. Is Connecticut more of a pro-sport state since it is sandwiched between Boston and NYC?

Reaction Score
Really? That's surprising to me. I had always pictured UConn absorbing the non-students in their state like PSU, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, etc. Is Connecticut more of a pro-sport state since it is sandwiched between Boston and NYC?

I can't see how this question will ever get answered. For every post doubting the intensity of the Conn. fans, there are lots of areas where the strength is evident, such as TV ratings, SNY charging a huge premium for UConn third tier, the licensing revenues at UConn which were easily and by far the highest in the old BE, the fact that UConn draws for both men's and women's bball.

Reaction Score
I can't see how this question will ever get answered. For every post doubting the intensity of the Conn. fans, there are lots of areas where the strength is evident, such as TV ratings, SNY charging a huge premium for UConn third tier, the licensing revenues at UConn which were easily and by far the highest in the old BE, the fact that UConn draws for both men's and women's bball.

I figured as much. When you see UConn on TV, the fans are every bit as intense as UK, UNC, Kansas, etc. If there's that much passion during basketball games, I'm sure they don't all leave Gampel Pavilion and take their UConn sweatshirts off to don a Boston Bruins shirt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Connecticut is certainly more of a pro sports state than say Nebraska, or Iowa, or Oklahoma, or South Carolina or Alabama...you get the idea. If CT, MA and the southern tip of NY (including all of NYC, Westchester down) were a state, it would still be half the size of say, Ohio. Almost everyone in CT is within 2 hours of either Boston or NYC, most are closer to one or the other.

UConn is also smaller than most midwestern, western and southern state schools (though enrollment has grown considerably), so the alumni base is smaller. Lastly, it is in a rural location, and doesn't have a large non student population that is otherwise dependent on the university...though Storrs is trying to get there.

Despite all of those things, as Upstater points out, ratings are very strong. It just doesn't manifest that those same people wear UCONN sweatshirts all the time. Many UConn fans went to school elsewhere and can watch UConn on TV while wearing a Trinity or Wesleyan sweatshirt.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I've noticed that in the past two championships, I didn't see as many UConn flags on houses in the CT suburbs (aside from towns surrounding Mansfield/Storrs) as there were in the 80's / 90's. Still a good number of UConn stickers on cars, though. Whenever I eventually buy a house, I'm getting a UConn flag before anything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom