Clark Kellogg is a thief | The Boneyard

Clark Kellogg is a thief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On our championship run in 1999 Khalid El-Amin was asked to describe his team and he said I think we have good "spurtability,". all of the reporters laughed and Khalid's made up word was gold, writers were using it everywhere and saying how Khalid has a way with words. One of those reporters who heard Khalid say this was Clark Kellogg and he stole the made up word from him and has been using it as his own for the last 15 years. He uses it during games, it's always used A's one of his 5 key points before a game, it's used in video games even on his wikipedia page it says he coined the word spurtability. It's pretty pathetic a grown man would take credit away from a College kid and never actually let anyone know that he took the made up word from El-Amin.

Reaction Score
On our championship run in 1999 Khalid El-Amin was asked to describe his team and he said I think we have good "spurtability,". all of the reporters laughed and Khalid's made up word was gold, writers were using it everywhere and saying how Khalid has a way with words. One of those reporters who heard Khalid say this was Clark Kellogg and he stole the made up word from him and has been using it as his own for the last 15 years. He uses it during games, it's always used A's one of his 5 key points before a game, it's used in video games even on his wikipedia page it says he coined the word spurtability. It's pretty pathetic a grown man would take credit away from a College kid and never actually let anyone know that he took the made up word from El-Amin.
He pilfered it....

Reaction Score

Nah, I'm not Kellogg's biggest fan but that was his word long before '99.

Reaction Score
Jesus, the things that get you worked up. I envy you - you must not have a damn thing going on.
Bored at work, let's be honest we are posting on a college bball website. I find it to be a great distraction from the mundane. Not really worked up about it, just think it's lame Kellogg gets credit for it when he took it from Khalid.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
John, its not even evening yet. Put down the alcohol.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Can you give us an update on Billy Packer and Chris Smith's crossover? I think I missed that too.

Reaction Score
Nah, I'm not Kellogg's biggest fan but that was his word long before '99.
That was my thought also. Kellogg started his broadcasting career in 1990 and I'm pretty sure he used that term way before Khalid said it. So does this mean Khalid is a thief?

I can't believe I'm even responding to this stupid topic!

Reaction Score
during the 77-74 telecast Nantz brought up that KEA got the term from Kellog

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sorry, John, you're going to have to find something else to get worked up about.

http://articles.courant.com/1999-03-15/sports/9903180849_1_khalid-el-amin-huskies-uconn-point-guard

It pays off with spurtability, a word now being embraced by Calhoun -- as well as the media.
``I don't know if it can make it into Webster's,'' El-Amin said with a ha-ha-ha. ``I can't take credit for that word, either. That's Mr. Kellogg's word.''
As in Clark Kellogg, the CBS college basketball analyst.
``As long as we continue to play defense the way we've been playing and convert those turnovers into easy points for ourselves,'' El-Amin said, ``then `spurtability' will be next to Connecticut if it ever does get into the dictionary.''

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, there is a first time for everything but something tells me Nantz and the Connecticut horde are in on the conspiracy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, there is a first time for everything but something tells me Nantz and the Connecticut horde are in on the conspiracy.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Reaction Score
Joking brother, realize I'm wrong and my post comes across as HuskyDan'ish. Only reason I brought it up is because I was talking to an old buddy about UConn the other day, he was a reporter for the team at the time and said it always bothered him that Kellogg stole that word from El-Amin. He was in the room when Khalid said it and he said all the reporters busted out laughing like Khalid coined the word. I realize on the Internet I can come across as strident but I really wasn't too bent out of shape about it, the crummy sandwich I had for lunch is a whole different story.

Reaction Score
I feel like Kellogg used that word w/ the classic UNLV teams of the early 90s. He definitely used it before KEA did.

Reaction Score
Remember the class after the fab five at Michigan. They had a kid named Albert White I believe. CK compared his game to a baby's bottom, "smooth and explosive". I thought that was creative and I never forget it. "Shock the World", everyone in all sports uses that, that was Khalid's thing.

Reaction Score

One of the greater injustices in American history....

In all seriousness:

9/10 good rant, would read again

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I can never tell whether this is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back on the Boneyard or makes me wish I never discovered this damn site in the first place

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I like the way you think John.

Reaction Score
"Shock the World", everyone in all sports uses that, that was Khalid's thing.

That was before Khalid as well. I forget who said it first, but in Khalid's case, it held true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom