Chuck Alexinas question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chuck Alexinas question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw that team play a number of times. The Morris Mountain was the Big center that many on this board pined for all year.
For a guy that big he lacked the will or ability to inject himself as a force.
That fact that he was 7 ft tall created expectations in many cases unfair.
The poster that said he may not of even liked the sport but was pushed into it because of his size might have hit on something.
Being a seven footer in a small town especially 30 years ago kind of separated you from everyone else. When everyone expects you to be Wilt ,I could see were basketball could get painful. I'm sorry that he doesn't include himself as a member of the family,but like the prodigal son all he has to do is return.

Reaction Score
Did a Google on him, and found a brief mention of him at www.wildcatnation.net. He regretted transferring from UK, which would go a long way to explaining why he’s not part of the UConn family. Apparently he didn’t get along with Joe B. Hall, or at least that’s the speculation.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Morris and was in jr high at Wamogo while Chuck was a senior. I can't say that I really know him, but aside from being pantsed by him while I was in a jr high bball practice while he was waiting around for the varsity practice to start, he is a really nice, personable guy. He was a lot more guarded (no pun intended) in his high school days at the height of his local celebrity.

I can't speak to his passion for the game, but he played pickup games regularly. So I don't think he didn't like the game. I can believe that the constant pressure may have gotten to him over time. And there was - and continues to be - criticism of his play due to huge expectations created by his own success. Lesser competition or no, he averaged 40/gm in both his junior and senior years. That's amazing in 32 minute games. I saw him score 32 in a half. He had skills to go with his massive size. The one thing that was always true was that he was slow footed. That had a lot to do with what he did not do in college, IMHO.

My understanding/speculation was that Chuck left UK after being disappointed that the offense didn't run through the post after Robey and Phillips left, and Chuck became the starter. Kyle Muncy was the focal-point of that offense following the 78 NC. I think Chuck's turn may have come in time. Or not.

arch

Reaction Score
I hate to say this but I believe that if Corny went to UNC he would have had a nice NBA career. Perno was a horrible coach but was a very good player at UCONN. He never should have gotten the job to begin with. Nice man, not a good coach.
Nobody could make Corny any faster and nobody could be any slower.

Reaction Score
I can't speak to his passion for the game, but he played pickup games regularly. So I don't think he didn't like the game. I can believe that the constant pressure may have gotten to him over time. And there was - and continues to be - criticism of his play due to huge expectations created by his own success. Lesser competition or no, he averaged 40/gm in both his junior and senior years. That's amazing in 32 minute games. I saw him score 32 in a half. He had skills to go with his massive size. The one thing that was always true was that he was slow footed. That had a lot to do with what he did not do in college, IMHO.

Interesting post, thank you. The UK board specifically mentions how slow he was, perhaps hyperbole but they called him one of the slowest players Kentucky has ever had.

Reaction Score
Corny never was at peek condition at UConn. Which is scary.

If he played for JC..who knows injuries change careers.

I remember seeing him in a a Euro game years later and he didn't look like the same guy. He starred in both the Italian and Spanish Leagues ,winning MVPs and a playing. For a Euro Champs. The guy made a lot of money playing basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My understanding/speculation was that Chuck left UK after being disappointed that the offense didn't run through the post after Robey and Phillips left, and Chuck became the starter. Kyle Muncy was the focal-point of that offense following the 78 NC. I think Chuck's turn may have come in time. Or not.

That's what I heard. Kyle Macy BTW, not the current UConn guy.

I remember seeing him in a a Euro game years later and he didn't look like the same guy. He starred in both the Italian and Spanish Leagues ,winning MVPs and a playing. For a Euro Champs.

Very true, I remember watching his Euro team playing Magic's Lakers in a pre-season game. He looked good, must have lost 50 pounds.

Reaction Score
After transferring from KY, he announced for PC. Around Labor day, of that year, just before the start of classes, Alexinas decided to enroll at UConn.
After sitting out a year, Perno had difficulties incorporating Alexinas into the frontcourt. Even though Chuck was the ideal center, Corny was the ideal PF, and Mike McKay was the ideal SF. Somehow, these guys didn't jell. McKay was lost his junior year. After little progress, Chuck's playing time dropped. He was disappointed. Same with his family, as his mom wrote letters to the newspaper.
Chuck eventually lost his job to Bruce Kuczinsky (sp), and I don't believe Chuck stayed with the team to finish his sr. year.
Nobody from that era is still with UConn. For him to not mention the final 3 years of his hoop career, after 30+ years, is pretty sad for him.

Reaction Score

I disagree…….JC would have whipped him into shape and the rest of his game was there in a big way……….the kid had skills - shot it great, rebounded like a man, posted up with moves and had great court vision passing the ball…….would have been a star under JC

arch

Reaction Score
I disagree…….JC would have whipped him into shape and the rest of his game was there in a big way……….the kid had skills - shot it great, rebounded like a man, posted up with moves and had great court vision passing the ball…….would have been a star under JC
Mau, he was a star under Perno. I doubt he would have signed with JC. Unimportant, but I have always been a Corny guy. Still remember Arnold Dean announcing the signing (and I don't remember much anymore).

Reaction Score
Mau, he was a star under Perno. I doubt he would have signed with JC. Unimportant, but I have always been a Corny guy. Still remember Arnold Dean announcing the signing (and I don't remember much anymore).

I agree he may have not liked playing for JC and elected to go elsewhere as he had so many offers………

The thing with the Huskies is you can't have Bobby Dulin and Clay Johnson as your guards with a front line like that……they had no shot!

Reaction Score
After transferring from KY, he announced for PC. Around Labor day, of that year, just before the start of classes, Alexinas decided to enroll at UConn.
After sitting out a year, Perno had difficulties incorporating Alexinas into the frontcourt. Even though Chuck was the ideal center, Corny was the ideal PF, and Mike McKay was the ideal SF. Somehow, these guys didn't jell. McKay was lost his junior year. After little progress, Chuck's playing time dropped. He was disappointed. Same with his family, as his mom wrote letters to the newspaper.
Chuck eventually lost his job to Bruce Kuczinsky (sp), and I don't believe Chuck stayed with the team to finish his sr. year.
Nobody from that era is still with UConn. For him to not mention the final 3 years of his hoop career, after 30+ years, is pretty sad for him.
Didn't Hobbs overlap with these guys?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
At least spell his name right. Aleksinas. No x. Scored about 80% of Wamogo's points in HS. Totally destroyed the Berkshire League, which we all know isn't much. Went to UK and won a ring as back up in '78 with Hall. Then left and we got him. Was a big coup back then. A decent big man, enough said. Yes those teams under Perno could have done more. Who knows if Calhoun was there if things would have been different. All from memory, no google on this post.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I watched Corny so many times during high school and at UCONN. I can tell you his skill coming out of Middletown high was advanced and he regressed at UCONN under Perno. That is a fact.

Reaction Score
For what it worth, I credit that to Perno. Thomson and McKay didn't really seem to improve over the years. Corny was a great talent. One wonders what Calhoun would have with him.

Absolutely correct. While I was there the teams often looked great early but never improved much during the season. Perno either never had a plan or his plan was lousy. A shame because they had some talent.

And McKay would have been a more talented offensive version of Giffey if a little less on the boards. He pretty much stayed a catch and shoot guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's what I heard. Kyle Macy BTW, not the current UConn guy.
Macy! Right. Scary how much and how quickly my memory has gone.

I believe Aleksinas led the Spanish league in scoring at least once. But Corny was a much better player.

Reaction Score
Some of McKay's finishes were with power, he was a high flyer who could shoot lights out form the corner on a given night……….

These guys would have all been petter if they were coached by JC no doubt in my mind………played against Bruce K and Corny T in HS and while Corny was a lot better Bruce also could have been a better player under JC…….but Corny would have lasted longer in the NBA if he had a tougher push form the likes of a JC for sure, he was loaded with talent for a big man and tough!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. While I was there the teams often looked great early but never improved much during the season. Perno either never had a plan or his plan was lousy. A shame because they had some talent.

And McKay would have been a more talented offensive version of Giffey if a little less on the boards. He pretty much stayed a catch and shoot guy.
I remember our forwards were never able to handle the ball. McKay could shoot from the corner or dunk on the break, but could never beat anyone off the dribble. Chuck was glued to the floor, outside of the paint. And our guards were definitely Yankee Conference or worse (once Whelton left). Norm Bailey was the most athletic guy we had for a few years.

Reaction Score
I remember our forwards were never able to handle the ball. McKay could shoot from the corner or dunk on the break, but could never beat anyone off the dribble. Chuck was glued to the floor, outside of the paint. And our guards were definitely Yankee Conference or worse (once Whelton left). Norm Bailey was the most athletic guy we had for a few years.

Joey Whelton a few years later or Early Kelley a few years earlier would have made this group of bigs a lot better although they cracked the then "Top 20" and the "others with votes" often that year despite their backcourt………

Another thing was that team was the best FT shooting team until this years ever at UConn and maybe THE best…….all starters were solid with Corny being tremendous at the line.

Reaction Score
For what it worth, I credit that to Perno. Thomson and McKay didn't really seem to improve over the years. Corny was a great talent. One wonders what Calhoun would have with him.
I agree. If JC had had those kids it would have been a final four year for us. Corny was Parade's #1 HS player when he committed to UCONN, he was not slow (as some have said), but not fast up and down the court either. If we had had JC in those years I think kids like Rod Foster, John Pinone, John Garris, Harold Jensen, Charles Smith, John Bagley, and others, would have considered us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That's another good point. I remember Randy Smith wondering why Perno couldn't recruit better guards, especially with Corny to pass to. I also remember Arnold Dean saying that Red Auerbach told him that he thought Giscombe was a pretty good player. Yet, Dom preferred Bobby Dulin.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another thing was that team was the best FT shooting team until this years ever at UConn and maybe THE best…….all starters were solid with Corny being tremendous at the line.

Funny stat, 2013 UConn was the best FT shooting NC in years. 2004 UConn was the worst.

Reaction Score
Rowe/Perno both really missed out on a ton of talent in the 70 s 80 s,especially in that big time basketball era in Bpt/New Haven. I was a decent baller in the 70s at Harding High School,Coach Kish would tell the seniors such and such schools want to look at some of you but no one until Mike McKay would even consider the school at that time. Lot of good players from Calvin Murphy,Wes Matthews,,Charles Smith .Mahorn,Williamsons etc and not a one played for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Rowe/Perno both really missed out on a ton of talent in the 70 s 80 s,especially in that big time basketball era in Bpt/New Haven. I was a decent baller in the 70s at Harding High School,Coach Kish would tell the seniors such and such schools want to look at some of you but no one until Mike McKay would even consider the school at that time. Lot of good players from Calvin Murphy,Wes Matthews,,Charles Smith .Mahorn,Williamsons etc and not a one played for the Huskies.

For many of those years UConn was still in the Yankee Conference. When UConn first joined the Big East we had the worst facilities in the league and no academic support. It is a miracle that Dom Perno did as well as he did with what he had to work with. When JC came on board he was immediately given the academic support needed and Gampel was on the near horizon. As great as Calhoun turned out to be he could have never succeeded in the manner he did without the academic support and Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom