Chuck Alexinas question | The Boneyard

Chuck Alexinas question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There aren't any Kentucky or Spain pictures either. Maybe he doesn't think it is relevant to work site?

Keep in mind that Chuck played pre-Calhoun. He may not feel particularly connected to Calhoun and Ollie.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Chuck played pre-Calhoun. He may not feel particularly connected to Calhoun and Ollie.
He was on the same team as Hobbs.

That 81-82 team remains one of the most disappointing in UConn history.

Reaction Score

Yes, a lot of pieces were there.

CL82

Reaction Score
Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score

For what it worth, I credit that to Perno. Thomson and McKay didn't really seem to improve over the years. Corny was a great talent. One wonders what Calhoun would have with him.

Reaction Score
Quick Alexsinas story
I ran into a former Uconn teammate of Chucks at the dry cleaners right after we won the NIT and had a nice chat for about 20 minutes. He told me that they tried to get Chuck points early or he would disappear. His teammates were constantly on his back to play harder; especially Corny. This player told me that Chuck had the body, size and skills to play in the NBA but he didn't have the heart. He didn't think that Chuck actually enjoyed playing college basketball.

Reaction Score
Quick Alexsinas story
I ran into a former Uconn teammate of Chucks at the dry cleaners right after we won the NIT and had a nice chat for about 20 minutes. He told me that they tried to get Chuck points early or he would disappear. His teammates were constantly on his back to play harder; especially Corny. This player told me that Chuck had the body, size and skills to play in the NBA but he didn't have the heart. He didn't think that Chuck actually enjoyed playing college basketball.

what happened with his transfer from UK? Didn't like the coach? I was just getting into UConn basketball around that time, and don't recall the backstory, only that it was a big deal that a player of his stature was transfering into UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Quick Alexsinas story

That sounds about right. I'll never forget a pre-draft interview with Chuck after his senior year. They asked what he would bring to the NBA. One of the first things Chuck said is that "he saved his knees". Mostly by not rebounding. The other thing I won't forget was his horrible charge into David Russell to end the BET game in the Civic Center

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That sounds about right. I'll never forget a pre-draft interview with Chuck after his senior year. They asked what he would bring to the NBA. One of the first things Chuck said is that "he saved his knees". Mostly by not rebounding.
And not playing ANY defense.

I'd put him up there with Dyson, Marcus and Saunders on the "UConn's most frustrating players" Mt. Rushmore.

Reaction Score
For what it worth, I credit that to Perno. Thomson and McKay didn't really seem to improve over the years. Corny was a great talent. One wonders what Calhoun would have with him.
Sadly, I think that is a lot of Perno's legacy. Players just didn't get much, if any better while they were here. Earl Kelley was obviously a troubled talent, but he was no better when he left than when he arrived. Mckay, Tim Coles, Jeff Carr, Norman Bailey, the list of stagnant ability in seemingly hard workers is pretty lengthy from back in those days.

Reaction Score
Perno's teams were never greater than the sum of their individual parts. Normally, they were far less. The Thompson years never, never, had an offense put in place that actually helped players be in a position to utilize their skills. Things like spacing were always a struggle compared to, e.g., Rollies Nova teams in the same years.

That having been said, while Hobbs was a good defensive point guard, he was just not a good offensive one.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I think that is a lot of Perno's legacy. Players just didn't get much, if any better while they were here. Earl Kelley was obviously a troubled talent, but he was no better when he left than when he arrived. Mckay, Tim Coles, Jeff Carr, Norman Bailey, the list of stagnant ability in seemingly hard workers is pretty lengthy from back in those days.

Earl Kelley could've played in the NBA.. He was that good... but couldn't put it together off the court.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but I believe that if Corny went to UNC he would have had a nice NBA career. Perno was a horrible coach but was a very good player at UCONN. He never should have gotten the job to begin with. Nice man, not a good coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That team gave the Pat Ewing-led, NC finalist (Freddie Brown game) Hoyas their worst loss of the season. Then they lost 7 out of their last 8 games (thank goodness for PC). A competent AD would have canned the coach as things were clearly going in the wrong direction. Instead, he got 4 more years!

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

Earl Kelley certainly improved his skills as a troublemaker while at Uconn.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
That team gave the Pat Ewing-led, NC finalist (Freddie Brown game) Hoyas their worst loss of the season. Then they lost 7 out of their last 8 games (thank goodness for PC). A competent AD would have canned the coach as things were clearly going in the wrong direction. Instead, he got 4 more years!

Thank god he got 4 more years and Calhoun got hired.

Reaction Score
Chuck didn't mention playing at Uconn on Fast-n-Loud. Only stated UK/NBA/Spain

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Earl Kelley could've played in the NBA.. He was that good... but couldn't put it together off the court.
I'd love a "Where are they now?" on Kelley. He was my first UCONN idol and I was pretty crushed when he derailed his career.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

John Toner certainly had his faults, and he should have spent more time on campus instead of traveling to NCAA administrative conclaves, but he did do three significantly correct things during his tenure as AD:

1. Accepted invitation to join the Big East.
2. Hired Auriemma.
3. Hired Calhoun.

On balance, I think he did a pretty fair job, and his decisions are still resonating nationwide to this day.

Reaction Score
Chuck didn't mention playing at Uconn on Fast-n-Loud. Only stated UK/NBA/Spain
Another reason not to bother with him. One of the largest disappointments in UConn history.

Reaction Score
John Toner certainly had his faults, and he should have spent more time on campus instead of traveling to NCAA administrative conclaves, but he did do three significantly correct things during his tenure as AD:

1. Accepted invitation to join the Big East.
2. Hired Auriemma.
3. Hired Calhoun.

On balance, I think he did a pretty fair job, and his decisions are still resonating nationwide to this day.

Those are some HUGE POSITIVE MOVES that he made. I'd HATE TO SEE where UCONN would be without those 3 moves having been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom