Chip's blog update | The Boneyard

Chip's blog update

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller writes the Register's blog now. Chip got promoted to columnist.

Reaction Score
i'm pretty excited about what he said about Rennick. it sounds like we could maybe put him in at RG if we need to play Masters at tackle. if nothing else it makes me a little more comfortable about our depth on the line

Reaction Score
i'm pretty excited about what he said about Rennick. it sounds like we could maybe put him in at RG if we need to play Masters at tackle. if nothing else it makes me a little more comfortable about our depth on the line

I would be VERY concerned if we had to play a true frosh on the interior OL. I took P's comments to mean that he's doing ok for a true frosh, but it nowhere near ready to log game minutes.

Also think that one of the beat writers (Dez maybe?) said that Bullock was taking snaps with the 1's. Looks like good competition between him and Mateas. By the way, for those who went.....who was the center with the botched snaps?

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller writes the Register's blog now. Chip got promoted to columnist.

Yeah, I know it's Fuller's now, just so used to writing Chip's blog.

Reaction Score
i'd rather not see any true freshman on the field, but RG is probably the easiest spot to insert a freshman. as long as he can physically handle the job i'm fine with it. Anthony Davis started G as a true freshman and then left after his true junior year IIRC. this guy isn't as highly rated, but that doesn't mean he can't handle the load if we have to put Masters at T. hopefully our starting 5 will stay healthy and oline depth will be a non issue

pj

Reaction Score
i'd rather not see any true freshman on the field, but RG is probably the easiest spot to insert a freshman. as long as he can physically handle the job i'm fine with it. Anthony Davis started G as a true freshman and then left after his true junior year IIRC. this guy isn't as highly rated, but that doesn't mean he can't handle the load if we have to put Masters at T. hopefully our starting 5 will stay healthy and oline depth will be a non issue

I don't think G is an easy position for a freshman. We're running a pro style system and in the pros, guard is the 4th-highest position in Wonderlic score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test#Average_score_in_the_NFL_by_position), after offensive tackle, center, and quarterback, meaning it has the highest cognitive demands. We saw last year what happens when the line hasn't grasped all its responsibilities.

You can also see that Andreas Knappe, who projects as on offensive tackle, is playing DL this year so that he can get on the field right away. This even though we have far more depth at DL than OL. The reason is that DL is the easier position to play.

Reaction Score
I don't think G is an easy position for a freshman. We're running a pro style system and in the pros, guard is the 4th-highest position in Wonderlic score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test#Average_score_in_the_NFL_by_position), after offensive tackle, center, and quarterback, meaning it has the highest cognitive demands. We saw last year what happens when the line hasn't grasped all its responsibilities.

You can also see that Andreas Knappe, who projects as on offensive tackle, is playing DL this year so that he can get on the field right away. This even though we have far more depth at DL than OL. The reason is that DL is the easier position to play.

I read something a little while that made me smile, I don't know where it was. I think the uconnhuskies site. Masters was beign interviewed, and he said that the entire offensive line is talking, and he's never played with line that talks and communicates on the field as much as they do now.

That's a good thing folks. They still need to actually, you know, win games, but I think we're on our way. DeLeone mumbling on and on about tough lineman, and generating competition among the linemen so that nobody is secure in their job if they're not playing well.......

Me on the other hand, the concept of an offensive line that isn't where the most talking on the field is coming from? Odd. I guess that's the way it was though.

I'd love to see some of the battles going on between the OL and DL in this camp.

Reaction Score

i meant in terms of the oline. i wasn't clear on that, but i meant it's the easiest place on the oline to put a freshman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom