Chicago - The last show for the Dead | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chicago - The last show for the Dead

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Mike75 said:
The thing is, Further, RD etc. never held themselves out as the Grateful Dead. These shows are being touted as the last time the original members of the Grateful Dead will perform together, when the reality is that happened 20 years ago. I'm sure it'll be a good time, and I imagine it will be so successful that they take it on tour nationally.
No way they tour nationally. Phil just turned 75 and he pretty much only plays at the Capitol theatre and terrapin crossroads now and Bobby had to cancel the last ratdog tour from being worn out from touring and being a pill head.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
phillionaire said:
No way they tour nationally. Phil just turned 75 and he pretty much only plays at the Capitol theatre and terrapin crossroads now and Bobby had to cancel the last ratdog tour from being worn out from touring and being a pill head.

Plus they don't like each other much anymore. Bobby doesn't like the drummers. Mickey doesn't like Phil, phil ( and his shrew) don't like anyone and Bill is still full steam ahead with the psychedelics ( not so bad) and powders ( bad) .

These 3 are it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I caught "The Dead" the last time they came to Hartford. What a boring slog. Haynes was the only bright light and he's not involved here. I can't imagine these shows being any good, It's a scene for the fans.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
bracket_final.png

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Anyone going to any late shows after FTW? I'm thinking about going to see moe. Friday and Saturday.

Reaction Score
Here is my plan -

Friday - Cubs Game -> Dead - > moe.
Saturday - > Dead - > Pink Talking Fish (goes Dead)
Sunday - > Dead - > The Grateful Ball Featuring The Schwag

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here is my plan -

Until we got the screwgie on our mail orders, we were doing the Friday Cubs game and Saturday and Sunday Dead shows; Friday night and other times were going to be spent at Fitzgerald's, which has its 34th Annual American Music Festival on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You should try and see if you can work in a visit there at some point.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Here is my plan -

did you get moe. tickets on saturday? i tried buying them and they almost immediately sold out.

Reaction Score
There was a presale code I used to get moe. Tix.

Steve Kimock announced a show today for this weekend too.

Reaction Score
Recently read a book about Bill Graham and the Fillmore East & West by John Glatt (good read btw) and I learned a lot about the San Francisco scene I didn't know. Main thing is how the Jefferson Airplane really were the big drivers of the scene at that time. Anyway, I then started reading a lot about the festivals, esp. Altamont. A lot of people blame the Dead for the violence, since they refused to play because of the way things were spiraling out of control. That left a two+ hour gap between bands since the Rolling Stones didn't want to go on until the sun set. During this time, people started getting increasingly violent due to the lack of activity and drugs/drinking. Just thought it was interesting that the Dead were the band that refused to play, considering they had a major hand in getting the festival going, and I believe they also were the ones to suggest using Hells Angels for security.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Anyone get their tickets yet? Got mine yesterday. They look great.

August_West

Reaction Score
John said:
Recently read a book about Bill Graham and the Fillmore East & West by John Glatt (good read btw) and I learned a lot about the San Francisco scene I didn't know. Main thing is how the Jefferson Airplane really were the big drivers of the scene at that time. Anyway, I then started reading a lot about the festivals, esp. Altamont. A lot of people blame the Dead for the violence, since they refused to play because of the way things were spiraling out of control. That left a two+ hour gap between bands since the Rolling Stones didn't want to go on until the sun set. During this time, people started getting increasingly violent due to the lack of activity and drugs/drinking. Just thought it was interesting that the Dead were the band that refused to play, considering they had a major hand in getting the festival going, and I believe they also were the ones to suggest using Hells Angels for security.

They had just watched Marty Balin get brained by a pool cue onstage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hope things improve in Chicago. Some nice moments in Santa Clara but lots of cringe-worthy rough spots.

The good news is that Trey is definitely up to the task and has been the bright spot so far imo. The bad news is that Bobby does not appear up to the task and has seemed clueless for much of what I've seen. Phil's playing has been fine; his singing is the same as it ever was, which is what it is, but not great. The others have been pretty "meh," but I'm sure the Chicago shows will benefit from the CA warmup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sure this is an oldie, but I just heard it and it seems apropo:

What did the hippie say when he ran out of weed?
"This music sucks"

Reaction Score
These shows will be hot. Bobby and Trey will work it out, but they need to let Trey do his thing. The bucket and dew were perfect examples of what this lineup can do if they settle in. For me - Bruce and Jeff still need to find how to play off one another. The only cringe-worthy spots were really the ending of each song. That said Chi-Town here we come. I head out this afternoon. Look for me in my UConn gear. Have a safe trip and enjoy Yarders!

phillionaire

Reaction Score
So excited for this weekend. Headed out tomorrow to catch Greensky Bluegrass and Grateful Grass at High Steppin Into Town.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
but they need to let Trey do his thing.
Yep, that's the key. Not too crazy about his stage position either. I mean, if they don't like the implications of putting him in the Jerry spot, move Bobby there, put Phil in the middle and put Trey where Phil is. Having Trey play lead and be positioned almost off stage is pretty ridiculous imo.

August_West

Reaction Score
Here is the thing. Bobby has a vast catalog of wonderful songs that he wrote and sings. Great songs that are meant for him because they are written by him. At least 1/2 of every show SHOULD be sung by Bob if 1/2 the songs are HIS songs. However, a show like the other night where he sang 11 out of 15 songs leaves me a little flat. I get that Phil and Bobby were IN the band and they have a connection to the songs. They have EARNED the right to pick and choose and sing what they want. I get it. I support it. But it also smacks of a bit of ego too. Lets be honest, there is not one "Jerry" song that would not be better served from a musical quality standpoint if Trey or Bruce sang it. For example, go back and watch the April 99 Phil and Friends show where Trey absoutely gets right to the vocal heart of Row Jimmy. He also had played it numerous times in his solo band. But when they played it the other night, Bobby took yet another one. Why? This is just personal speculation but over the last 10 years ago Bobby seems to have a self notion that he is a human vessel for Jerry Garcia's spirit. The beard, the fact that in all his iterations in that time period he plays more Jerry tunes than his own chestnuts, the fact that he set himself in Jerrys "stage spot", the donning of a black Tshirt both nights in SC. I also get that. He took losing Jerry probably harder than anyone on the planet and in his way I think he feels it is a loving tribute. And Im sure it is. But by him being so invested in that loving tribute we have seemed to have lost some of the things that made Bobby Bobby. Would love to see him be a bandmate instead of "ratdogging" these shows.
I enjoyed SC and will def enjoy Chicago. These are just nitpicking things that would make me enjoy the shows more, but they owe me nothing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What made Bobby Bobby was being a great number two to Jerry. I don't think leading is his strength, and I blame the rudderlessness of the Santa Clara shows mostly on the fact that he's trying to lead a ship that he's not wired to lead. And he's pretty spent. My wife commented that it sounded like the songs were being played on a record player or tape deck that was running a notch too slow. I feel like they're keeping Trey in a straightjacket but he's slowly busting out.

I like more of the songs in Bobby's catalog than not, but there are a lot I could do without and that number is growing. And he should not be singing any Jerry songs when Trey and Bruce are options (although I thought Bruce butchered the pace of "Loser" with his delivery). That was the worst "Loose Lucy" ever played, and "He's Gone" was so unforgivable that I want to forget that it happened.

I agree about the Bobby-wanting-to-be-Jerry theory and that weirds me out even more.

I know it's not going to happen, but I want to see Trey take the band by the throat and throttle them, and kick the sh/t out of this music like it deserves.

I'll be watching with interest this weekend, but I cant wait to see JRAD again to see this music performed with creativity and energy (and I really like Metzger's treatment of the Bobby songs).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom