Chi. Trib. article on UConn recruit Haley Gorecki | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chi. Trib. article on UConn recruit Haley Gorecki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I knew gorecki name was familiar when I was looking at the hs rankings. Interesting that she's not ranked very high -- not top 50. Possibly not 100. I'll Chk the exact number tmow.

Reaction Score
when did this happen, never heard of her... or am I getting old?

(edit) offered, not verbal or signed. ok

DC: Well, you might be, but that isn't the crux of the matter for you. To paraphrase Gorecki, who doesn't think she is "done growing yet," the crux , as well as our hope, is that you are not done growing old yet.

Reaction Score
The only thing to correct in the article is the idea that UCONN is one of the elites. It is quite obvious that in womens BB, UCONN is the supreme elite and all others are less so. As Jay Billas put it: "It's not whether UCONN belongs with the so-called elites, but rather do those so called elites belong with UCONN. Storrs is the capital city of college basketball!"

Reaction Score
Not anymore. Youngest children in birth order studies often cut their own path and are fearless doing that.

ICE: Interesting, and could be so. But at the same time, there is a fair amount of theory and data , going back to the 19 century and forward, saying that the FIRST born are rather intrepid in their own right. Virtually all of our first group of astronauts were first born and sure didn't fall short when it came to blazing a path or being fearless. Same held true, I believe, for 22 of the initial two-dozen or so astronauts. US Presidents and world leaders are said to be disproportionately in that same boat. Similar stuff around re CEOs I believe.

However , the whole "birth order" issue has gone back and forth in the scientific community for a good long while, in part because there are numerous confounding variables (such as family size) in many of the studies. And, I suspect, even "researchers" sometimes bring bias to their work, unfortunately but very humanly. Would be interesting to know the birth order of researchers in this arena and see how that correlates with their findings on the subject. In that vein, it would be interesting to know if you are a "youngest" in your family. I'm a first born ;):)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ICE: Interesting, and could be so. But at the same time, there is a fair amount of theory and data , going back to the 19 century and forward, saying that the FIRST born are rather intrepid in their own right. Virtually all of our first group of astronauts were first born and sure didn't fall short when it came to blazing a path or being fearless. Same held true, I believe, for 22 of the initial two-dozen or so astronauts. US Presidents and world leaders are said to be disproportionately in that same boat. Similar stuff around re CEOs I believe.

However , the whole "birth order" issue has gone back and forth in the scientific community for a good long while, in part because there are numerous confounding variables (such as family size) in many of the studies. And, I suspect, even "researchers" sometimes bring bias to their work, unfortunately but very humanly. Would be interesting to know the birth order of researchers in this arena and see how that correlates with their findings on the subject. In that vein, it would be interesting to know if you are a "youngest" in your family. I'm a first born ;):)
I, too, am first born. The current discount on oldest is that they by necessity are trail blazers with no one ahead of them.

The youngest cut their own path because they are reactionary against the stasis of the family and seek to establish their own identity.

I wouldn't bet the house on any individual situation complying to the norms but they are trends.

Reaction Score
TROY: yeh, but us coal-crackers can tell you that they came there via Scranton and Wilkes-Barre PA, don't forget.
Yep, my parents came from the Larksville, Edwardsville area of Wilkes-Barre.

Reaction Score
If Haley wants to increase in height, I was going to recommend eating 'perogies'. But my wife, a Chicago Polish girl, informed me that only makes you increase horizontally & not vertically !

Reaction Score
If Haley wants to increase in height, I was going to recommend eating 'perogies'. But my wife, a Chicago Polish girl, informed me that only makes you increase horizontally & not vertically !
I can attest to that...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I, too, am first born. The current discount on oldest is that they by necessity are trail blazers with no one ahead of them.

The youngest cut their own path because they are reactionary against the stasis of the family and seek to establish their own identity.

I wouldn't bet the house on any individual situation complying to the norms but they are trends.

I'm a middle child except I had no younger siblings. Being treated as one of the younger two made me resentful of my non-existent younger brother, so much so that I refused to go to any of his Little League games. But it did cause me to seek my own identity, Walter Mitty, hidden behind the mask of Cohenzone and UConn fandom, being the actual love child of Muffett McGraw and Geno Auriemma. Or was it Tim McGraw and Jean Stapleton, I forget.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I always knew you would swim against the trend, cohenzone. Now about that membership.

Reaction Score
I knew gorecki name was familiar when I was looking at the hs rankings. Interesting that she's not ranked very high -- not top 50. Possibly not 100. I'll Chk the exact number tmow.

With incomplete information, she's composite #122.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With incomplete information, she's composite #122.
Anyone know her AAU team? Is this a Chong like situation where no one has seen her play?
Uconn is not known to offer early to unranked players, and the other schools in the mix suggests she is not 'flying under the radar' as far as coaches are concerned.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Anyone know her AAU team? Is this a Chong like situation where no one has seen her play?
Uconn is not known to offer early to unranked players, and the other schools in the mix suggests she is not 'flying under the radar' as far as coaches are concerned.

Gorecki plays with Midwest Elite Platinum, same aau team as 2016 Tori McCoy out of Illinois (a UConn target). I think her team will be at the Boo Williams event this weekend.

Gorecki has offers from UConn, Duke, Louisville, UCLA and several B1G schools.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
sounds like Holly Golightly, too..

Time to whip up some perogies, kielbasa, and some o' Nana's good kraut! Put down my customary red wine, and crack open some of my home brew, aging in the basement!:)
Don't forget stuffed cabbage!

Reaction Score
Gorecki has offers from UConn, Duke, Louisville, UCLA and several B1G schools.

So someone who will probably be moving up the next time rankings are released.
She's #55 at BlueStar, and not in the top 100 of ASGR or ProspectNation and not in the top 50 of Full Court or ESPN.

Reaction Score
I go to Chicago on business 6-10 times a year and have grown to Love the city and know it quite well. I really enjoy Chicago and the people are great. Lots of things to do, great restaurants etc.

Reaction Score
ND or UCONN...my take

I think she is a Calif. girl, so I'm going to add UCLA as a likely option to Stanford. Imagine 3 sisters on the same college team! I think she is also being recruited heavily by McCall at ND

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I think she is a Calif. girl, so I'm going to add UCLA as a likely option to Stanford. Imagine 3 sisters on the same college team! I think she is also being recruited heavily by McCall at ND

The three sisters would be at Stanford, not UCLA. McCall is at Standord, not ND. Am I correct?

Reaction Score
Random tidbit, but Gorecki has a tie to UCLA…UCLA took a preferred walk-on in 6'1" Baird from Illinois and she and Gorecki are supposed to be friends. UCLA is pretty stacked though with Canada, Caldwell, and Hayes from 2014 and a recent verbal from Kennedy Burke who is said to be a combo guard or wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom