Charlie says | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Charlie says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who cares about Baylor's big bodies? When Griner went to Baylor, everyone outside of Connecticut was predicting four National Championships. Yes, they got screwed against Louisville. That would have been only two championships, and the posts they've recruited are nowhere near as talented. As for Morgan, she will be a fourth year junior, who before this year hadn't played a lot of minutes, especially after having missed most of last year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't think SC will be better next year. Certain players will be better, but overall as a team, I don't know that they'll be better. And unfortunately for them, others teams will improve. Duke will be better with some guards, Baylor and Tennessee will be improved. And of course UCONN will be better, not a lot probably, but better.

I don't think it's a guarantee that ANY team will be better, and that includes UCONN.. even with the class they're bringing in. I think a lot of UCONN fans undervalue how good this 2014-2015 team was just to prove the point that they'll keep getting better year after year.. UCONN's 2014-2015 team was really good and KML was special, she won't be easily replaced, even by Samuelson. Before UCONN fans attack me with a list of their plethora of 3-point shooters, take notice that I said "easily". Sure, you'll always have shooters but finding somebody as automatic as KML, good luck. She was a gem. Nobody knows for certain that Samuelson will be as automatic as KML her freshmen year.

SC "only brought in a PG from Canada" and may not scream final four team to most of you.. but I don't think anybody wants SC in their regional as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year.

Tennessee, Duke and Baylor getting better isn't just a problem for SC, it's a problem for everybody. Personally, I think Tennessee and Baylor will have final four talent next year and be able to compete with UCONN. Tennessee is just missing a dominating post and if Warlick lands Akhator and gets this team to gel then look out.... and by "look out" I mean everybody.. even UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a guarantee that ANY team will be better, .
Well nothing is a guarantee, heck we could have a zombie apocalypse and there won't be a WBB season next year. But for the purposes here, those teams will be better next year, SC, while very good, won't necessarily be better than this years team.

Unfortunately for SC fans, this might have been SC's highwater mark. They could make the FF next year, but I think they had a better chance this year. I think they'll be in the top 8 and have a shot at the FF.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well nothing is a guarantee, heck we could have a zombie apocalypse and there won't be a WBB season next year. But for the purposes here, those teams will be better next year, SC, while very good, won't necessarily be better than this years team.

Unfortunately for SC fans, this might have been SC's highwater mark. They could make the FF next year, but I think they had a better chance this year. I think they'll be in the top 8 and have a shot at the FF.

Meh, it's still a good highwater mark for a young program. People so easily forget that this was SC's first time making it to the final four. Our program is still VERY young. We literally just won the SEC for the 2nd time in school history. While it would've been nice to win it all this year, we didn't. Whereas, getting to the final four and losing would've been unacceptable for UCONN at this point. It's all new to us and we're happy to even be in the conversation. Our expectations for WBB will increase as Dawn bring them to us. We may or may not make it back next year. Most SC fans, myself included think we will. Either way, we know we have a good coach, great facilities that are getting better, a hungry fanbase that's growing to love WBB and a school dedicated to being a winner in the sport.

This season may be the highwater mark for the short term but I KNOW it won't be for the long term. We'll get back to the final four eventually. Heck, we may even win it all one day. Wouldn't that be nice.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a guarantee that ANY team will be better, and that includes UCONN.. even with the class they're bringing in. I think a lot of UCONN fans undervalue how good this 2014-2015 team was just to prove the point that they'll keep getting better year after year.. UCONN's 2014-2015 team was really good and KML was special, she won't be easily replaced, even by Samuelson. Before UCONN fans attack me with a list of their plethora of 3-point shooters, take notice that I said "easily". Sure, you'll always have shooters but finding somebody as automatic as KML, good luck. She was a gem. Nobody knows for certain that Samuelson will be as automatic as KML her freshmen year.

SC "only brought in a PG from Canada" and may not scream final four team to most of you.. but I don't think anybody wants SC in their regional as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year.

Tennessee, Duke and Baylor getting better isn't just a problem for SC, it's a problem for everybody. Personally, I think Tennessee and Baylor will have final four talent next year and be able to compete with UCONN. Tennessee is just missing a dominating post and if Warlick lands Akhator and gets this team to gel then look out.... and by "look out" I mean everybody.. even UCONN.

Well everyone is getting better in general, but it has been UConn lately and then a big gap to the next level.... and I think presumably that will fill in relatively soon..... you guys have a good team.... the few times I saw you play last year I expected a bit better..... the Duke game, the NCAA UNC game.... where I had thought you would distance yourselves from them..... cause they are not a really good team.... but it took some last minute luck for you to get past them......

and your note about if Holly lands that recruit..... I don't have a lot of faith in Holly's abilities to coach in general, aside from her defensive prowess..... and I do not vest faith in players who have not played a minute of college ball..... reputations can only go so far... Elizabeth Williams was supposed to signal a new time of superiority for Duke..... Griner was supposed to spell domination for Baylor... so let's see what happens if she does get her prized recruit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
but I don't think anybody wants SC in their regional as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year.
I don't think South Carolina wants to see South Carolina as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year in a region either. That would be a step backwards considering that they were #1 seeds the prior two years.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't think South Carolina wants to see South Carolina as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year in a region either. That would be a step backwards considering that they were #1 seeds the prior two years.

Well of course not, but if we're only as good as a lot of the posters here think.. then that's a strong 2 seed or 3 seed team.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
OK, let's look at the starting lineup for SC next year. 1 - Khadijah Sessions with more experience = better, 2 - Tiffany Mitchell with more experience = better, 3 - Most likely Asia Dozier with more experience = better, 4 - Most likely A'ja Wilson will start, replacing Aleighsa Welch. Not as much leadership, but a higher upside. I'll call it equal, 5 - Alaina Coates will replace Elem Ibiam = better. Overall, the starting lineup will be better and more experienced.

Position backups: 1 - Bianca Cuevas with more experience = better, Shay Colley = unknown 2 - Tina Roy with more experience = better, Kaydra Duckett = unknown, Doniyay Cliney = unknown, 3 - Tina Roy, and A'ja Wilson = even, 4 - Jatarie White = unknown (highly recruited, but ill or hurt most of 2014-15), 5 - Jatarie White = unknown.

My analysis: The starting five will be undoubtedly better and the bench probably won't be quite as good due to too many unknowns. I think the starters will certainly play more minutes than last season, which is probably fine. Dawn may still sign another player this spring, but that isn't definite. Starting 3 seniors, a junior and a sophomore who played extensively as a freshman is a pretty experienced bunch. Keep in mind that our most highly recruited players were all freshman and sophomores in 2014-15. I know being a McDonald's All-American in high school is not the end all and be all for recruiting, but 3 of ours were freshmen in 14-15 and 1 was a sophomore. IMO, with the most talented players having more experience it will be a huge plus. I expect to be a 1 seed again and return to the Final Four. I just hope it's somewhere besides Indianapolis.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think South Carolina wants to see South Carolina as a 2 seed or 3 seed next year in a region either.
Well+played+op+well+played+_81520922a94f22b9d1623cc8675498f1.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My analysis: The starting five will be undoubtedly better and the bench probably won't be quite as good due to too many unknowns. I think the starters will certainly play more minutes than last season, which is probably fine. Dawn may still sign another player this spring, but that isn't definite. Starting 3 seniors, a junior and a sophomore who played extensively as a freshman is a pretty experienced bunch. Keep in mind that our most highly recruited players were all freshman and sophomores in 2014-15. I know being a McDonald's All-American in high school is not the end all and be all for recruiting, but 3 of ours were freshmen in 14-15 and 1 was a sophomore. IMO, with the most talented players having more experience it will be a huge plus. I expect to be a 1 seed again and return to the Final Four. I just hope it's somewhere besides Indianapolis.
Your analysis ignores what IMO are South Carolina's fatal flaws one of which cannnot be fix by anyone on the current roster. The fatal flaws are:1) Lack of perimeter shooting 2) Lack of a cohesive "layered" team defensive scheme. Relative to your 2014-15 McDonald's All-American the best among them (Cuevas) in comparison to fatal flaw #1 shot only 37% overall and 22% from 3 point line. Roy is a good 3 point shooter @ 39% put some what predictable. 119 of her 152 shot attempts were from behind the three point line so the defense knows exactly where she is going to be. She has not shown the ability to fake the three and drive to the basket in a productive way because her percentage from 2 point range is identical to her shooting from 3 Point range. You also do not have a post player on the roster to draw attention in the post and kick to players on the perimeter. Minus Mitchell your shooting percentage from the guard positions are very pedestrian 41%-Dozier, 40%-Sessions 38%-Roy, Cuevas-37%. Until this gets corrected the game plan aginst South Carolina will be to limit Mitchell on the perimeter and defend the paint. Go back and look at the Kentucky game and it is embarassing how much of the game Kentucky had all 5 defenders with a foot in the paint.
South Carolina has some good individual defenders on th perimeter in Gaines, Mitchell, & Sessions. Coates, Ibiam, and Wilson are good rim protectectors but the defense is not cohesive. When you get a blow by on the perimeter the the help is rarely in place. Another thing that needs to be more of a coaching emphasis is that South Carolina is not playing to the new rules about 1 touch on the perimeter. There have been a few big games (UNC, ND) where multiple tic tac fouls on the perimeter have put South Carolina in early foul trouble.
South Carolina players and Dawn are looking at the refs to stop making those calls when the damage has already been done. This is correctable with practice & emphasis but the whining accomplishes nothing.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of that has to do with Duke flying under the radar in the ACC this year... with Notre Dame and FSU leading the way, the ACC was a force to be reckoned with so a lot of really good teams, like Duke/UNC, were just not talked about a lot this past season. I watched A LOT of WBB but I still only watched two games played by Duke. I watched our 1 point victory over Duke and then I watched the Duke/UNC game..

From the little bit I have seen of Stevens though, I agree, she's a big time player. Players like her are nightmares.. big post/forward players that are really good from behind the arc. FSU has a player like that too, can't remember her name but she's REALLY good. I agree with what you said about Wilson. She had more trouble than a lot of high level players in her class adjusting to the speed of the game. Players like Mitchell, Turner, Stevens etc adjusted well and a lot faster than Wilson did. Wilson spent so much time this year just learning her role and the defense that her offense took a backseat for the most part. If you look at a lot of our early games you can see Wilson looking lost and literally being directed by Coates as to where she should go on the floor (another reason she didn't start).. Sure, Dawn could've started Wilson and just let her make stuff up and out talent people on the floor but that's not really Dawn's style. Wilson coming off the bench gave her time to adjust to the game and it allowed Coates to be there to direct her. As the season got late, you saw Coates coming out of the paint less to direct Wilson and you saw Wilson more comfortable with the game speed and her role (and you saw her playing better).

This summer will be important for Wilson because now.. she knows the defense, she's witnessed the speed of the game, she's played in the final four... now she knows where her offense needs to be in order to play the best she can. She's gone up against the Loyds, Stewarts, Tucks, etc.. so she knows how her game should look. I would love for Wilson to just watch tape on Stewart all summer and model her game after her. Wilson is a forward that wants to be a guard, and Dawn told her if she wants to be a guard then she has to put in the work.. so hopefully this summer she does that.. and knowing her, she will.
I think a lot of that has to do with Duke flying under the radar in the ACC this year... with Notre Dame and FSU leading the way, the ACC was a force to be reckoned with so a lot of really good teams, like Duke/UNC, were just not talked about a lot this past season. I watched A LOT of WBB but I still only watched two games played by Duke. I watched our 1 point victory over Duke and then I watched the Duke/UNC game..

From the little bit I have seen of Stevens though, I agree, she's a big time player. Players like her are nightmares.. big post/forward players that are really good from behind the arc. FSU has a player like that too, can't remember her name but she's REALLY good. I agree with what you said about Wilson. She had more trouble than a lot of high level players in her class adjusting to the speed of the game. Players like Mitchell, Turner, Stevens etc adjusted well and a lot faster than Wilson did. Wilson spent so much time this year just learning her role and the defense that her offense took a backseat for the most part. If you look at a lot of our early games you can see Wilson looking lost and literally being directed by Coates as to where she should go on the floor (another reason she didn't start).. Sure, Dawn could've started Wilson and just let her make stuff up and out talent people on the floor but that's not really Dawn's style. Wilson coming off the bench gave her time to adjust to the game and it allowed Coates to be there to direct her. As the season got late, you saw Coates coming out of the paint less to direct Wilson and you saw Wilson more comfortable with the game speed and her role (and you saw her playing better).

This summer will be important for Wilson because now.. she knows the defense, she's witnessed the speed of the game, she's played in the final four... now she knows where her offense needs to be in order to play the best she can. She's gone up against the Loyds, Stewarts, Tucks, etc.. so she knows how her game should look. I would love for Wilson to just watch tape on Stewart all summer and model her game after her. Wilson is a forward that wants to be a guard, and Dawn told her if she wants to be a guard then she has to put in the work.. so hopefully this summer she does that.. and knowing her, she will.
If you can just keep Wilson from primping for the camera, and begin wearing uniforms that fit ..she will be OK ..but NOT a barn burner.
Dawn needs to get the kids out of the Robot steps, seems they run down the court and then line up in drill formation, then try and execute....UG!!
Sure they will beat up the SEC this year, and are a top ten team, but in the top five they are less than a 50/50 team!!!

Reaction Score
THIS.

I feel like i have missed something.... do not know what this means..... but i have 2 beliefs that are not necessarily in concert with everyone else..... one is that the "Top 25" or "Top 10" in WCBB means next to nothing because of the lack of depth. Same for making the "Sweet 16" or the "Elite 8" ... It is just not that tough to do this..... (expect blowback for that comment , but I stand by it)

and the other thing is people anoint recruits queens even before they play a minute of college ball..... nobody knows how Samuelson will transition to the college game.... how will Durr do at LVille? Dunno. How will Diamond do at Tenn? Very well, cause we saw her play at UNC.....

And of course part of question of how they will perform is tied into how will they be coached.....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I feel like i have missed something.... do not know what this means.....

It's basically just a way of saying "I really agree with you" haha.. Sorry, I'm a millennial.

Reaction Score
If you can just keep Wilson from primping for the camera, and begin wearing uniforms that fit ..she will be OK ..but NOT a barn burner.
Dawn needs to get the kids out of the Robot steps, seems they run down the court and then line up in drill formation, then try and execute....UG!!
Sure they will beat up the SEC this year, and are a top ten team, but in the top five they are less than a 50/50 team!!!
Agree! I noticed that she always wear her tank in a strange way as if she wants to make a fashion statement! (I do not think it was because the tank does not fit.) Also I notice during the same game, some USC players wear Ts, some wearing tanks. I would imagine Dawn is a strict coach and would not lay a free hand on the uniforms.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I have no problem with the way Wilson wears her shorts. I'm actually a fan of it. It's nice that she's a woman and not wearing ridiculously baggy unflattering shorts. I wish the shorts weren't so baggy and droopy on the men's side as well. As far as her jersey, SC is an UnderArmour school... so the uniforms shoulder straps are wider than Nike's. Apparently some of the players prefer skinnier straps. I remember reading a post game presser transcript for some away game and one of our media guys asked the kids why some of the players roll up their straps and they gave several reasons, from the strap being too wide, some liking the freedom of movement, all the way to the straps being too itchy..

As far as Wilson not being a barn burner and just being "OK" or SC being less than 50/50 in the top 5..... we'll just have to wait and see. SC will be fine next year. They're a team of very likable girls. As long as fans see them continuing to work hard and competing hard on the court every game then we're happy. Good things happen to those that work hard.

Reaction Score
Your analysis ignores what IMO are South Carolina's fatal flaws one of which cannnot be fix by anyone on the current roster. The fatal flaws are:1) Lack of perimeter shooting 2) Lack of a cohesive "layered" team defensive scheme. Relative to your 2014-15 McDonald's All-American the best among them (Cuevas) in comparison to fatal flaw #1 shot only 37% overall and 22% from 3 point line. Roy is a good 3 point shooter @ 39% put some what predictable. 119 of her 152 shot attempts were from behind the three point line so the defense knows exactly where she is going to be. She has not shown the ability to fake the three and drive to the basket in a productive way because her percentage from 2 point range is identical to her shooting from 3 Point range. You also do not have a post player on the roster to draw attention in the post and kick to players on the perimeter. Minus Mitchell your shooting percentage from the guard positions are very pedestrian 41%-Dozier, 40%-Sessions 38%-Roy, Cuevas-37%. Until this gets corrected the game plan aginst South Carolina will be to limit Mitchell on the perimeter and defend the paint. Go back and look at the Kentucky game and it is embarassing how much of the game Kentucky had all 5 defenders with a foot in the paint.
South Carolina has some good individual defenders on th perimeter in Gaines, Mitchell, & Sessions. Coates, Ibiam, and Wilson are good rim protectectors but the defense is not cohesive. When you get a blow by on the perimeter the the help is rarely in place. Another thing that needs to be more of a coaching emphasis is that South Carolina is not playing to the new rules about 1 touch on the perimeter. There have been a few big games (UNC, ND) where multiple tic tac fouls on the perimeter have put South Carolina in early foul trouble.
South Carolina players and Dawn are looking at the refs to stop making those calls when the damage has already been done. This is correctable with practice & emphasis but the whining accomplishes nothing.

I agree with it all. A topper=One thing that Staley said during the NCAA tournament was "we just started working on our zone defense." I was stunned. She also said she wanted to be cool...cool with the players. She has a different philosophy than Geno. SC will be a good team next year. I see Baylor, Tennesse, & ND fighting with SC for FF spots.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the way Wilson wears her shorts. I'm actually a fan of it. It's nice that she's a woman and not wearing ridiculously baggy unflattering shorts. I wish the shorts weren't so baggy and droopy on the men's side as well. As far as her jersey, SC is an UnderArmour school... so the uniforms shoulder straps are wider than Nike's. Apparently some of the players prefer skinnier straps. I remember reading a post game presser transcript for some away game and one of our media guys asked the kids why some of the players roll up their straps and they gave several reasons, from the strap being too wide, some liking the freedom of movement, all the way to the straps being too itchy..
d.

Honestly while I love Under Armour products... they make some horrible basketball uniforms. 3 of the 4 final 4 schools were UA...... and i didnt like any of the uniforms.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I agree with it all. A topper=One thing that Staley said during the NCAA tournament was "we just started working on our zone defense." I was stunned. She also said she wanted to be cool...cool with the players. She has a different philosophy than Geno. SC will be a good team next year. I see Baylor, Tennesse, & ND fighting with SC for FF spots.
Gamesmanship; they have played plenty of zone defense through the years though Dawn prefers man to man.

Reaction Score
Incoming freshman have never missed a shot, I assume that is why the media always assumes they will make huge contributions right away. That they've never made a shot either doesn't seem to factor in. Personally I'm always sceptical about teams highly ranked because of a bunch of freshman or expected big improvements in returning players. Improvements in terms of limiting mistakes can be expected, but learning entirely new skills can be a dicey proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom