Charlie says | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charlie says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Charlie was simply saying what could be a possibility.. he didn't say "SC WILL have the best frontcourt duo next year" he said we could... Which is true. We COULD.
Nah, ain't happening. The cow never jumped over the moon either and it isn't likely to change.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Duke will beat South Carolina next year. *drops mic

*picks up mic* I sure wish it was possible to gamble on women's games in Vegas. With you being able to predict the future and all...

Reaction Score
*picks up mic* I sure wish it was possible to gamble on women's games in Vegas. With you being able to predict the future and all...
Can't predict the future. Matchups...

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme, that is, says that "South Carolina may have the best front line in the country next season". Whaddaya think? (He also is rating Duke as #15, but that is another matter entirely.)
Anyone can make the statement that Xyz college has the best front line next year--the proof is next year when REAL front lines clash.
I won't say Uconn will have the best or 33rd best just yet, Butler, Stewie, Tuck, Boykin, Collier, KLS, Gabby, ---Bigger isn't always better--the proof was this year. Uconn did NOT have the bigger front line in a few of their overly large point wins --I won't say the obvious : the difference was in the coach--or darn I said it...

Reaction Score
If Wilson still harbors delusions about being a guard, then shame on Dawn Staley. I agree with UcMiami about her appearance of "disinterest" but feel it may mask an insecurity/embarrassment about not measuring up to her own ambitions. For all the ballyhoo about her arrival in the college game, I'd give her first year a B-. Does Dawn Staley have a good "bigs" coach I wonder?
I feel terribly sorry for Aja Wilson a Teen age kid with hundreds of thousands of people all saying how great she shall be--I'm glad I never carried that burden. However, kids like that seem to come out of expectation place upon them in their next 3 years. We'll see!! Stewie made that Jump at the end of her Frosh year.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a very interesting year next year as I expect a number of teams to improve.
I am curious about SC because of the better teams this year, they lost a significant senior and are bring in the least new blood so they are depending on growth from the returning players more than any of the other schools. Wilson seemed to be almost 'disinterested' in games I watched - waiting for the ball to find her, rather than seeking it. And I am less concerned with her perimeter skills - she, like Stewart will live or die with her 15' and in game. Having a three point shot is a nice weapon to have to set up the rest of your game, but Stewart scores about 16% of her points on threes shooting about 33% vs. 2 pointers at about 55% (more efficient.) I know Wilson said she didn't want to be stuck in the low post, but she has to want to mix it up inside to become as good as she can be.
I you listened to Staley her belief is that the Bigs go under the basket and wait for the ball that should be coming their way--her offensive as stated during the ND SC game. Not every bad move is the players fault. It looks like Staley wants to load up on Bigs and one guard will deliver the ball to them

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke will beat South Carolina next year. *drops mic

yeah.gif

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Apparently Charlie believes UCONN will three MOP FF and multiple national player of the year award winner Stewie will be playing in the backcourt next year.

Might…could…:)
I've heard of worse solutions.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Can't predict the future. Matchups...

Ok, if you say so. Sure. Duke will beat SC because of these "matchups" you speak of....

I won't talk up how good SC is going to be next year because I honestly don't know.. nobody really knows for sure how their team will return from the summer. I will say this though... SC played one of its worst games offensively of the season in Cameron Indoor and still managed to win (albeit by 1 point.. and by luck, as some of you will probably say next) versus a bigger team in Duke last year that had the "matchup" advantage..

Matchups don't always equal wins. Intangibles matter. Like Duke playing SC in front of 12,000+ fans in Colonial Life Arena next year. That's just one intangible that may or may not matter..... again, nobody really knows...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I was impressed that in her first NC game Turner played with the calm of an upperclassman. She will keep ND in the hunt for 4 years.

So much calm, that at times she seemed somnolent. :)

Reaction Score
So much calm, that at times she seemed somnolent. :)
True, but she hurt UConn in the second half, defending against Stewie and scoring over Stewie in the post.

Reaction Score
I think it is possible - there were Las Vegas points lines on the NCAA tourney games this year. In any case I think I'm gonna have to take SC on this one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I you listened to Staley her belief is that the Bigs go under the basket and wait for the ball that should be coming their way--her offensive as stated during the ND SC game. Not every bad move is the players fault. It looks like Staley wants to load up on Bigs and one guard will deliver the ball to them
Good point, but post players can actively 'demand' the ball down low, or they can wait for someone to make a brilliant pass. What i saw from Wilson last year (and I did not see many SC games) was a passiveness - i.e. not demanding the ball - anywhere on the court.

Duke fans - I do think it will be interesting to see what happens to the Duke team - you lose your 4 year starter at center (AA and #4 WNBA pick) but FINALLY get some guards, and good ones at that. A lot of the Duke struggles last year (beyond coaching) could be laid at the feet of really poor guard play due to injury and exodus.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SC will have a formidable duo.

Duke will be closer to #5 than #15
Trio - don't forget about Jatarie White. She didn't play much in 2014-15 because of an injury and then the flu, but she is quite talented.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If Wilson still harbors delusions about being a guard, then shame on Dawn Staley. I agree with UcMiami about her appearance of "disinterest" but feel it may mask an insecurity/embarrassment about not measuring up to her own ambitions. For all the ballyhoo about her arrival in the college game, I'd give her first year a B-. Does Dawn Staley have a good "bigs" coach I wonder?

Wilson played mostly the 3 and the 4 last season. I don't know where this stuff came from about Dawn playing her at guard. She IS listed as a G/F, but she played very little guard last season. Basically enough for her to understand that she's not a guard. I predict she will be the starting 4 in 2015-16 with Asia Dozier at the 3. When Asia isn't in there she may play at the 3 or 4 with Jatarie White at the 4 or 5. I'm sure Alaina Coates will start next season. Alaina has the most upside. When she comes to play she is nearly unstoppable.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wilson played mostly the 3 and the 4 last season. I don't know where this stuff came from about Dawn playing her at guard. She IS listed as a G/F, but she played very little guard last season. Basically enough for her to understand that she's not a guard. I predict she will be the starting 4 in 2015-16 with Asia Dozier at the 3. When Asia isn't in there she may play at the 3 or 4 with Jatarie White at the 4 or 5. I'm sure Alaina Coates will start next season. Alaina has the most upside. When she comes to play she is nearly unstoppable.

Sessions will more than likely start at PG next year... but if our 2014 kids take a big sophomore leap then a lineup of Cuevas at PG, Mitchell at SG, Wilson at F, White at PF and Coates at C could be quite formidable..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sessions will more than likely start at PG next year... but if our 2014 kids take a big sophomore leap then a lineup of Cuevas at PG, Mitchell at SG, Wilson at F, White at PF and Coates at C could be quite formidable..

I know you already think this.... but from an outsiders perspective... for you guys to reach your ultimate potential... Cuevas needs to start at PG.... preferably from day one. I was at the regionals here in Greensboro.. and she turned the game around in the first half vs FSU. I was kinda surprised that she didnt get much playing time in the 2nd. Honestly I think your best lineup would be having Roy at SF.... with White being the Post reserve off the bench.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I know you already think this.... but from an outsiders perspective... for you guys to reach your ultimate potential... Cuevas needs to start at PG.... preferably from day one. I was at the regionals here in Greensboro.. and she turned the game around in the first half vs FSU. I was kinda surprised that she didnt get much playing time in the 2nd. Honestly I think your best lineup would be having Roy at SF.... with White being the Post reserve off the bench.

I'm definitely a fan of Cuevas starting over Sessions. Sessions is a great manager when she's having a good game but Cuevas plays the style of basketball that I like to see at the point and the style most similar to Dawn's own style as a player.. I'm PRAYING she has a great summer. She could be huge for us next year.

So you think our best lineup would be.. 1. Cuevas 2. Mitchell 3. Roy 4. Wilson 5. Coates

That actually could be a great lineup because what it does is put 5 offensive threats on the floor... which was SC's achilles heel a lot last season, not having enough offense on the floor at once.. I've always been a huge fan of Roy starting over Dozier as well. I've said this for months over on the SC message boards.

Reaction Score
If we're talking frontcourt duo's, I'm excited to see Bashaara and Mercedes start together down low. I think that probably nobody outside of Tennessee's team knows how good Mercedes can be, considering we watched her play her entire freshman season with two bad feet. If she makes a developmental leap anywhere similar to Isabelle, then she and Bashaara will be a force to contend with.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VolFan - when I visited your board earlier in the year I was really surprised with the vitriol directed toward Graves. I have always liked her game, but felt she has suffered greatly from a somewhat limited offensive scheme and especially in previous years from indisciplined guards. At times she almost seemed to give up two years ago as she watched yet another wild Simmons jumper sale through the air. Do you get the sense that the fan base has 'rewarmed' to her?

Reaction Score
Ok, if you say so. Sure. Duke will beat SC because of these "matchups" you speak of....

I won't talk up how good SC is going to be next year because I honestly don't know.. nobody really knows for sure how their team will return from the summer. I will say this though... SC played one of its worst games offensively of the season in Cameron Indoor and still managed to win (albeit by 1 point.. and by luck, as some of you will probably say next) versus a bigger team in Duke last year that had the "matchup" advantage..

Matchups don't always equal wins. Intangibles matter. Like Duke playing SC in front of 12,000+ fans in Colonial Life Arena next year. That's just one intangible that may or may not matter..... again, nobody really knows...
Our last game we didn't really matchup well with South Carolina. Yes we were big but also very young in the post. Sc had two post starters that were upperclassman to go with a banger in Coates and the number 1 recruit coming off the bench alongside her at the post. Hell one could argue South Carolina had more favorable matchups than Duke. This next year team has 5 different TYPES of post players to contain Coates and Wilson. Along with guards to attack Cuevas and Mitchell. I think that's the game you'll find out more about Salavadores and the level of competition she's faced in her career. So yes I stand by saying we will beat South Carolina next year based on matchups alone.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Our last game we didn't really matchup well with South Carolina. Yes we were big but also very young in the post. Sc had two post starters that were upperclassman to go with a banger in Coates and the number 1 recruit coming off the bench alongside her at the post. Hell one could argue South Carolina had more favorable matchups than Duke. This next year team has 5 different TYPES of post players to contain Coates and Wilson. Along with guards to attack Cuevas and Mitchell. I think that's the game you'll find out more about Salavadores and the level of competition she's faced in her career. So yes I stand by saying we will beat South Carolina next year based on matchups alone.

Matches aside, though, we are very very tough to beat in Columbia.

Reaction Score

If Wilson played any 3 last year it was just for "show." She is in no way a 3 as of this moment. Nor as it stands right now does she belong anywhere other than the paint. There is no way I believe she was a 3 for any significant time except in unique situations or blowouts.

Reaction Score

You'll be a 2 seed with that lineup and likely wind up watching the ff on TV. Wilson is no 3.

And I like Sessions much more as the starter. Cuevas is way too wild. She's a good player to come off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom